Retain file attributes during copy / move operations

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
matsbrodin

Retain file attributes during copy / move operations

Post by matsbrodin »

Is there a possibility to keep file attributes (date accecced, modified, created) when doing a copy / move using Everyting?

Would appreciate an option to retain file attributes.
Thanks for a great application!
raccoon

Re: Retain file attributes during copy / move operations

Post by raccoon »

You will need to use a third-party copy program to do this. Popular options include FastCopy, TeraCopy, Bacula, and a dozen others. Microsoft Windows comes with the command line tool ROBOCOPY, and there are front-end GUI interfaces for that as well.

You can find all these mentioned on the forums here.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

If there is an interest in doing this, I recall a mention of plans for Everything to implement its own move/copy and you could have a Paste Special... command on the Edit menu that had extra tick options (incl. a persist option).

d
matsbrodin

Post by matsbrodin »

That option would be appreciated :D
I looked at FastCopy - could not find out how to copy / move files based on Access Date
Some other tools seems to be more folder-related, not given same overview as with Everything.
I can achive what I want using Robocopy, but that's an extra step start using two tools to move files.

Using Everything, it's so quick to get the desired results from a big fileserver, and then just move them using same tool would be great.

Thanks
Mats Brodin
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

If @void wrote his own VoidCopy program, there's a good chance that I would use it. He is certainly familiar with the ins and outs of that landscape of file handling API, and keen on simplistic yet capable interfaces. There's a good reason that 15 Copy programs exist; There's a demand for it, and developers flake out and leave their creations to abandon for years on end so another rising star jumps in.