How can date created come after date modified of received whatsapp picture?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
anmac1789

How can date created come after date modified of received whatsapp picture?

Post by anmac1789 »

I've used this command line in everything

Code: Select all

"This PC\Galaxy Note8\Phone\WhatsApp\Media\WhatsApp Images" depth:1 pic: dc:>dm:
to show whatsapp pictures where the date created is LATER than the date modified from within my note 8 android phone. I have so far 725 results and many of the time differences differ by 1 second -- 3 minutes.

I'm using my samsung note 8 and galaxy s8 to reproduce situations where the date created could be later than date modified but there isn't any way to show or reproduce a situation where date created > date modified.

Some things I have tried are
1. disabling wifi on both s8 and note 8
2. wait 2 minutes
3. Using s8's camera app to send a picture to the note 8
4. waiting 2 minutes
5. Enabling wifi on s8
6. waiting 2 minutes
7. enabling wifi on note 8

when looking at the date created and date modified of the photo received on the note 8, they are the date and time when the picture is received on the note 8 after step 7. I cannot think of any other way :( sadly...my brother wont give me his sim card temporarily for me to see where and when and how pictures were sent from another contact on the note 8. Can anyone reproduce results where the date created would be after the date modified? Thank you..
void
Developer

Re: How can date created come after date modified of received whatsapp picture?

Post by void »

I don't have a good answer..

On PC, the Date modified or date created timestamps can be set to any value you like.
Unzip programs can set only the date modified timestamp when extracting/unzipping files.
Other programs can set the date modified/created timestamp to anything they like.

The same most likely applies to your Samsung OS and apps.

In Everything 1.5a, the date modified/created timestamp can be set from Edit -> Advanced -> Set File Time...
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

- Create a file c:\folder\file.txt.
Date created = date modified = today @01:00
- Wait 1 hour
- Copy file.txt to X:\folder\file.txt
Date created = today @02:00 ; date modified = today @01:00

There you go :)
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

yeeeeeehhh so other websites and forums state the same, but I'm trying to make a connection with how something like that was done from PC, happen on android ....mystery..mysterryy...
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I have a Galaxy S5. When I plug my phone into my PC to use media file transfer, I navigate to my SD card, my Camera folder, and copy an image with Ctrl+C. When I paste it to my Windows Desktop with Ctrl+V, it creates a file with the correct Date Modified, and with the Date Created of Now. This is because MFT virtual folders to not have a Date Created file attribute to be copied.

Similarly, and probably the most obvious answer, Windows will always create a copy with a Created Date of Now. A copied file never inherits the Date Created attribute of its original with Windows copy/paste.

Both conditions will always cause files from your phone to have a newer Date Created and an older Date Modified.
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

can linux solve this ?
therube

Post by therube »

What is the issue you're trying to solve?

(Related, dslreports: when moving files to new folders, how not to lose file creation date.)
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

Approx last year I was trying to solve the puzzle of finding pictures which have the date created come after the date modified. It turns out that one of my cousins, sent a duplicate picture in the groupchat in whatsapp and that caused the date created to be updated while keeping the date modified the same as the 1st picture.
therube

Post by therube »

([Unrelated, but...] Also speaking of a case where everything is the "same", yet different, Excel .xls files & File Content Compare.)