Quick Search/filter of Folder only on 1.5a version

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
BrettUSA269

Quick Search/filter of Folder only on 1.5a version

Post by BrettUSA269 »

Love the program!!!

So I search for a folder and want to quickly search/filter that folder for files matching my search.

I want to search for a folder or a file location - both same then instead of opening up a windows explorer window, like to do a search within 1.5a on that folder for files matching a search criteria.

Seems like there should be an option where I either click on the path or right click on the path name where I can do add'l search within 1.5a vs opening up microsoft windows explorer.

I don't want to traverse down the folders on left side. I want to go to the folder quickly and do a search/filter so I can move or rename files.
horst.epp

Re: Quick Search/filter of Folder only on 1.5a version

Post by horst.epp »

Why don't you just run version 1.5a
It runs much better and has no major problems for most users.
Also as you already know, it has the option you are searching for.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Right now, the easiest way to change the search bar to the selected folder object's path, is to enable Tools -> Options -> General -> "[x] Show Search Everything folder context menu item". Then, you can right-click on a folder within Everything and select the context menu item "Search Everything". In most configurations, this will simply transpose the folder's path into the existing Everything window's search bar.

I do agree with you. There ought to be a keyboard shortcut / menu option to perform this task from within Everything itself, without resorting to Windows Explorer context in a roundabout way.

@void: ++ (Alt-Click on a folder to behave like Search Everything?...)

Any thoughts on detecting whether a search term segment is a pathname, and then utilizing that pathname with a user's exploration of the search results and/or the folder sidebar, for an explorer-like experience within the search bar? Replacing/substituting that pathname search term when a user, say, Alt-Clicks on a folder/object? Or just simply replace the entire search bar with the new pathname the way "Search Everything" context menu does?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

raccoon wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:19 pm Right now, the easiest way to change the search bar to the selected folder object's path, is ...
to drag the folder to the search bar.
(everyone has his personal preferences ..;))

In Everything 1.5, there is an extra feature: dragging with the right-mouse button.
Now you can choose to overwrite the current search or append to it.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Tools -> Options... -> Keyboard -> File | Search in Everything -> Shortcut: ... (your shorcut)
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

tuska wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:27 pm Tools -> Options... -> Keyboard -> File | Search in Everything -> Shortcut: ... (your shorcut)
Very cool, thanks! I totally missed that option.

I'd happily bind that to Alt+Click (not currently possible) but will settle with Alt+Pause since it's right next to my mouse clicker and I already use Pause to open Everything from Explorer with the pathname added to the search bar.