Thumbnails for on-demand, suggest appropriate columns for OneDrive folders

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
yfdyh000

Thumbnails for on-demand, suggest appropriate columns for OneDrive folders

Post by yfdyh000 »

Windows allows thumbnails to be displayed directly for on-demand files in OneDrive folder, if possible, supply it in Everything - Thumbnail views. If this is an undocumented interface/complex, it's a pity.

I also expect the appropriate columns to be promoted in defaults, context menus or add/organize columns UI, such as availability status, actual size (Size on disk or Allocation size), aware for the OneDrive folders.
By the way, I don't see the Size on disk and Allocation size properties show different values in 1.5.0.1303a, they are based on 4096 bytes (cluster), is this correct?
void
Developer

Re: Thumbnails for on-demand, suggest appropriate columns for OneDrive folders

Post by void »

Windows allows thumbnails to be displayed directly for on-demand files in OneDrive folder, if possible, supply it in Everything - Thumbnail views. If this is an undocumented interface/complex, it's a pity.
I will consider thumbnail support for on-demand files in the OneDrive folder.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Currently, Everything uses the IShellItemImageFactory::GetImage api to gather thumbnails.
This will support Windows thumbnail cache, but I am uncertain of on-demand support.

I also expect the appropriate columns to be promoted in defaults, context menus or add/organize columns UI, such as availability status, actual size (Size on disk or Allocation size), aware for the OneDrive folders.
I will consider promoting columns when indexing a OneDrive folder.

Thank you for the suggestions.

By the way, I don't see the Size on disk and Allocation size properties show different values in 1.5.0.1303a, they are based on 4096 bytes (cluster), is this correct?
Generally, these will properties will have the same values.
Both usually round up to the nearest cluster size (eg: 4096 bytes)

Size on disk is 'fake' and just rounds the file size up to the nearest cluster size.

Allocation size is the 'true' size on disk.
(Allocation size only applies to NTFS compression and sparse files)
Allocation size for resident NTFS files (small files stored directly in the MFT) can be smaller than a cluster.
yfdyh000

Post by yfdyh000 »

void wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:25 am
I will consider thumbnail support for on-demand files in the OneDrive folder.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Currently, Everything uses the IShellItemImageFactory::GetImage api to gather thumbnails.
This will support Windows thumbnail cache, but I am uncertain of on-demand support.

I will consider promoting columns when indexing a OneDrive folder.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Generally, these will properties will have the same values.
Both usually round up to the nearest cluster size (eg: 4096 bytes)

Size on disk is 'fake' and just rounds the file size up to the nearest cluster size.

Allocation size is the 'true' size on disk.
(Allocation size only applies to NTFS compression and sparse files)
Allocation size for resident NTFS files (small files stored directly in the MFT) can be smaller than a cluster.
Confusingly, I always see that the "Size on disk" and "Allocation size" are the same value for small files (like 137 bytes), NTFS compressed or NTFS sparse files, even after a refresh or rebuild index.
raccoon

Re: Allocation Size versus Size On Disk (was: Thumbnails for on-demand, suggest appropriate columns for OneDrive folders

Post by raccoon »

Very interesting stuff.

I have to say that 99.9% of my large sparse files (I have many thousand gigabyte sparse files) have an identical Size On Disk and Allocation Size. There are only 16 that do not match. Beyond that, all of the rest of the mismatches are files smaller than 571 bytes (size on disk <=576, allocation size =4096).

In every big file, the Allocation Size is larger than the Size On Disk. In every small file, the Allocation Size is smaller than the Size On Disk.

Finding mismatches:

file: !eval:#<:#exact:#size-on-disk:,#allocation-size:#>:

I would be interested in learning more these Allocation Size sparse file anomalies.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Technical update: In Everything, Size on Disk is the Allocation Size rounded up to the nearest cluster size.

Allocation Size is a multiple of the volume cluster size.
Except, when the file is small and fits directly in the MFT, then the Allocation Size is the size in the MFT.
(doesn't have to be a multiple of the volume cluster size)

Sparse files use a 'default byte' (usually 0).
When an entire cluster is the 'default byte', no space is allocated on disk.