JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in File Managers and File dialogs

General discussion related to "Everything".
horst.epp

Re: JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in File Managers and File dialogs

Post by horst.epp »

Mosed wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:24 pm Also in the previous version we had to run an exe to activate Jumptofolder. Where is the difference to the new version? The exe contains also the code for the jumping itself I assume, but you had to trust in the exe anyway. Right?
The exe is the compiled AHK script.
You can also download the master source if you want to compile it yourself.
NotNull

Re: JumpToFolder - Use the power of Everything in File Managers and File dialogs

Post by NotNull »

The exe in the older versions was a renamed AutoHotkey.exe. If you would check that against VirusTotal, that would be considered safe.

And *I thought* AutoHotkey.exe itself was signed, which turned out to be false.
I do trust signed executables (unless common sense tells me otherwise)
A compiled ahk will be unsigned, unless you sign it yourself.
thepauler

Post by thepauler »

Mosed wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:15 pm
thepauler wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:22 pm I use directory opus, but for some reason I haven't had any luck getting this to work in Windows 11. I'll try again with this release and report back.
For me it works. Also 1.0.6 worked for DOpus 12.x.
Thanks. I must be missing something because it's not showing up on the context menu. I've always made a lot of use of the "Search Everything" and lately the "index this" plugin. At any rate, here's my ini file. Seems to be set up correctly.

Code: Select all

[JumpToFolder]
everything_exe=C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe
sort_by=Run Count
sort_ascending=0
contextmenu_text=Jump to Folder ...
contextmenu_icon=C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe,0
detected_everything_version=1.4
everything_instance=""
debug=0
Mosed

Post by Mosed »

Perhaps you have to uninstall and install again via the exe file?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

There is no need for the context menu.
You can just make a hotkey which starts
JumpToFolder.exe -jump
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

thepauler wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 pm Thanks. I must be missing something because it's not showing up on the context menu.
Assuming you already (1) started JumpToFolder.exe, (2) went to the Settings tab, (3) selcted Action = Save & install context menu and (4) clicked the OK button.

The right-click context menu is not available everywhere. For example, it is not available when you right-click a foldername.
Try right-clicking on an empty space in the list of files in File Explorer, like inside any of the orange rectangles in the screenshot.
This should open the context menu with JumpToFolder.

Are you using a different file manager?
Attachments
2022-04-04 18_19_36-C__Tools_JumpToFolder.png
2022-04-04 18_19_36-C__Tools_JumpToFolder.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 80379 times
thepauler

Post by thepauler »

NotNull wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:30 pm
thepauler wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:59 pm Thanks. I must be missing something because it's not showing up on the context menu.
Assuming you already (1) started JumpToFolder.exe, (2) went to the Settings tab, (3) selcted Action = Save & install context menu and (4) clicked the OK button.

The right-click context menu is not available everywhere. For example, it is not available when you right-click a foldername.
Try right-clicking on an empty space in the list of files in File Explorer, like inside any of the orange rectangles in the screenshot.
This should open the context menu with JumpToFolder.

Are you using a different file manager?
Well, I feel like an idiot. It's working fine in dopus when I use the program correctly. Thanks for the help!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You're welcome!
(and don't feel like an idiot; that is *my* job ;) ( the description wasn't very clear; will update ))

As dopus was only briefly tested: does all work as expected or do you encounter issues/strange behaviour?
thepauler

Post by thepauler »

NotNull wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:18 pm As dopus was only briefly tested: does all work as expected or do you encounter issues/strange behaviour?
Yep. I've tested it several times and it's not causing any issues I can see. Selecting the directory in Everything opens up the path in dopus, reusing the same lister I have open. Seems solid!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thanks!

Do you have 'Explorer Replacement' enabled for all folders?
(Under Menu:Settings > Preferences > Launching Opus > Explorer Replacement)
thepauler

Post by thepauler »

NotNull wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:55 pm Thanks!

Do you have 'Explorer Replacement' enabled for all folders?
(Under Menu:Settings > Preferences > Launching Opus > Explorer Replacement)
Yep. Sure do!

NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thank you! That means 3 Dopus users without issues.
One less thing to worry about ..
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

I made a special entry for QuickSwitch and JumpToFolder in the XYplorer "Other software" forum.
and in the Total Commander "Plugins and addons" forum.
Currently there are only a short header and links to the Everything forum entries.

https://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic ... 14#p198114
https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic. ... 25#p411625
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

O, wow. Thank you! :thumbsup:
(I did not get around to posting on the other forums as this all takes a lot of time)
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

I have just become aware of JumpToFolders but can't make it work with WinXP.

I downloaded from the link in the opening post of this thread and followed the instructions there. However when I right click the list of files in Windows Explorer, there is no entryy for JumpToFolder.

Can anyone kindly advise how to get this working?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

• 32-bit WinXP or 64-bit WinXP?
    You need to download the matching version of JumpToFolder.
  • Is there a JumpToFolder.ini in the folder where JumpToFolder is located?
    What are the contents of that file?
  • Where did you right-click?
    Right-click in one of the locations indicated by the orange boxes
    (try it for example inside the C:\Windows folder in File Explorer/ Windows Explorer)
(I do no longer have a WinXP machine, so can't test)
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

Hi NotNull,

Thank you for your useful reply. I am using 32-bit Windows XP and downloaded the correct ZIP. I right-click the hot spots indicated in your image but I do not get any context menu entry for JumpToFolder.
NotNull wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm[*]Is there a JumpToFolder.ini in the folder where JumpToFolder is located?
What are the contents of that file?
Below is the content of my jumptofolder.ini
[JumpToFolder]
everything_exe=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5\Everything.exe
also_search_files=1
sort_by=Run Count
sort_ascending=0
contextmenu_text=Jump to Folder ...
contextmenu_icon=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5\Everything.exe,0
detected_everything_version=1.5
everything_instance=""
debug=0
What could be going wrong?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

There is no real need for the context menu.
JumpToFolder.exe -jump
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

horst.epp wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:53 am There is no real need for the context menu.
JumpToFolder.exe -jump
The shortcut item for that hotkey is created as part of the installation and resides in the folder I have for Everything/JumpToFolder. When I click it, it launches Everything 1.5. That's all. I don't see anything related to JumpToFolder.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my Everything 1.5 installation, if that "-jump" parameter should have made it do something?

I'm on version 1.5.0.1315a (x86).
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

burgundy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:21 am
horst.epp wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:53 am There is no real need for the context menu.
JumpToFolder.exe -jump
The shortcut item for that hotkey is created as part of the installation and resides in the folder I have for Everything/JumpToFolder. When I click it, it launches Everything 1.5. That's all. I don't see anything related to JumpToFolder.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my Everything 1.5 installation, if that "-jump" parameter should have made it do something?

I'm on version 1.5.0.1315a (x86).
Of course it launches Everything.
You have to assign an hotkey to this shortcut.
If you start the shortcut with the hotkey while in a supported file manager or app,
you can select an item (file or dir) in this Everything window and hit enter or double click it.
Your file manager or dialog should now positioned to this selected dir or file and the Everything window closes.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Step 1:
When you open the context menu, you should see the New > Text document/Folder/Shortcut, etc.
If not: this is the wrong place to right-click. Try it in the C:\Windows folder.

If still not working, Step 2:
- In Windows Explorer, browse to the location of JumpToFolder.exe
- Start JumpToFolder.exe
- Go to the Settings tab
- Check your settings, especially the path to your Everything.exe (they seem OK, based on your INI)
- Make sure Action == Save & Install Context menu
- Press the OK button
- Test the context menu in Windows Explorer

If still not working, Step 3:
- Start CMD.exe
- Paste the following command and press ENTER

reg.exe query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\JumpToFolder\Command
- Paste the results here.
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

NotNull wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:56 pm Step 1:
When you open the context menu, you should see the New > Text document/Folder/Shortcut, etc.
If not: this is the wrong place to right-click. Try it in the C:\Windows folder.

If still not working, Step 2:
- In Windows Explorer, browse to the location of JumpToFolder.exe
- Start JumpToFolder.exe
- Go to the Settings tab
- Check your settings, especially the path to your Everything.exe (they seem OK, based on your INI)
- Make sure Action == Save & Install Context menu
- Press the OK button
- Test the context menu in Windows Explorer

If still not working, Step 3:
- Start CMD.exe
- Paste the following command and press ENTER

reg.exe query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\JumpToFolder\Command
- Paste the results here.
Sadly it is still not working. Below are my results for the three steps you suggested.

Step 1. The context menu appears and there are entries under "New" but there is not one for Everything.

Step 2. I have done this before I posted my question and I have repeated it again now, but it does not provide a context menu entry.

Step 3 gives the following.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nemo>reg.exe query HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\JumpTo

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\JumpToFolder\Command
<NO NAME> REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5\JumpToFolder.exe" -jump
If I go to the registry, I see the following three entries:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
Icon REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5\Everything.exe",0
MuiVerb REG_SZ Jump to Folder ...
DaWolfi

Post by DaWolfi »

@notnull
Here is a customized version of JumpToFolder where I integrated my latest changes from QuickSwitch
(Added new types of file dialogs)

JumpToFolder_1.0.8dw.zip
(634.44 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

DaWolfi wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:52 pm @notnull
Here is a customized version of JumpToFolder where I integrated my latest changes from QuickSwitch

JumpToFolder_1.0.8dw.zip
Compiled and succesfully tested with Total Commander, XYPlorer, Free Commander, AkelPad
Setignano

Post by Setignano »

Hi NotNull, thank you so much for this utility which I find extremely practical and useful indeed.
I use XYplorer quite a lot for some specific tasks (not for searching... : where I prefer Everything instead, and BTW I'm very excited about this 1.5 version which will be a huge game changer for me (and maybe will even make me switch back to Total Commander... since I believe ET is now integrated to TC (haven't used TC in the last few years)) - anyway, for the moment being I would really like to use JumpToFolder in XYplorer, but I couldn't figure out how to do that (I have read your explanations in the "Advanced options" section where you show how to create a custom button on the button bar of TC (which I've tried, and works fine for me) - but what about XYplorer ? I guess I'll need a custom button too, but what should be the script for that ? (I've tried opening a Command Prompt in the installation folder of JumpToFolder with:
JumpToFolder.exe -jump C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll,23
- which gives me an alert box from JumpToFolder saying "This is not (yet) supported in cmd.exe .." - so at that point I got stuck. Thank you in advance for any hint!
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

This User defined button does it.
Just set the command to run on left click:
run "C:\Tools\Everything\JumpToFolder\JumpToFolder.exe -jump";
Of course with your path to JumpFolder.exe.

You can also store it as a User command and add a hotkey to it.

Personaly I do it with a global hotkey tool or a button on my logitech keyboard.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

DaWolfi wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:52 pm Here is a customized version of JumpToFolder where I integrated my latest changes from QuickSwitch
Still have to look at this (will take a couple of weeks), but in the meantime, would you do me a favor?
I wrote a little helper program that analyzes dialog windows (it is what I used to find a good algorithm for all dialogs up to this point). It would be very helpful if you could run this against these new dialogs and send me the results.

How-to:
  • Download DiagnoseDialog.exe
  • Run it
  • Open dialog
  • Press 'WIN + Z'
  • Press the Export button
  • Repeat for other relevant dialogs
  • Exit DiagnoseDialog (right-click the system tray icon and select Exit)
DiagnoseDialog.ahk is also available, if you prefer that
(I don't blame you if you don't trust/run code from some random dude/dudette on the internet)
gawkla

Post by gawkla »

Hi dev
Do you think about possibility to have FolderJump search always active (like in listary)? Or to glue FolderJump as icon directly to dialog? It will allow to almost immediately typing the path to search without activating context menu and selecting "FolderJump" option.
Keyboard is not always an option because if using mouse it also need to move hands to keyboard.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

gawkla wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:19 am Hi dev
Do you think about possibility to have FolderJump search always active (like in listary)? Or to glue FolderJump as icon directly to dialog? It will allow to almost immediately typing the path to search without activating context menu and selecting "FolderJump" option.
Keyboard is not always an option because if using mouse it also need to move hands to keyboard.
Using the enhanced QuickSwitch (link above) you have that logic
as it comes up automatically in dialogs and contains a button to start JumpToFoler.

Btw. how will you enter any search without using a keyboard ?
This will only allow to start bookmarks or filters.
gawkla

Post by gawkla »

thanks! i will try. It is OK to use keyboard to enter search string. I know that it is only additional "ctrl+j", but if you have to use this combination many times every day... :)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

gawkla wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:02 pm thanks! i will try. It is OK to use keyboard to enter search string. I know that it is only additional "ctrl+j", but if you have to use this combination many times every day... :)
In the QuickSwitch method you don't need the Ctrl-J, there is a button for JumpToFolders :)
DaWolfi

Post by DaWolfi »

NotNull wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:03 pm Still have to look at this (will take a couple of weeks), but in the meantime, would you do me a favor?
I wrote a little helper program that analyzes dialog windows (it is what I used to find a good algorithm for all dialogs up to this point). It would be very helpful if you could run this against these new dialogs and send me the results.

How-to:
  • Download DiagnoseDialog.exe
  • Run it
  • Open dialog
  • Press 'WIN + Z'
  • Press the Export button
  • Repeat for other relevant dialogs
  • Exit DiagnoseDialog (right-click the system tray icon and select Exit)
DiagnoseDialog.ahk is also available, if you prefer that
(I don't blame you if you don't trust/run code from some random dude/dudette on the internet)
Well, I think I can trust you on this one... :D
Here you are!

Dialog types.zip
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
DaWolfi

Post by DaWolfi »

I've made some minor changes to be able to use Ctrl+J from "Move to" and "Copy to" folder dialogs.

JumpToFolder_1.0.8dw2.zip
(630.65 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

DaWolfi wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:47 pm Well, I think I can trust you on this one... :D
Here you are!
Thank you! (for the dialog info as well as the trust :D)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

DaWolfi wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:13 pm I've made some minor changes to be able to use Ctrl+J from "Move to" and "Copy to" folder dialogs.
Works fine here with CopyTo and MoveTo in Explorer.
Listary Pro 6.0.9.25
XYplorer 23.40.0013
QAP 11.5.7.9.4 beta x64
Setignano

Post by Setignano »

horst.epp wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:55 am This User defined button does it.
Just set the command to run on left click:
run "C:\Tools\Everything\JumpToFolder\JumpToFolder.exe -jump";
Of course with your path to JumpFolder.exe.

You can also store it as a User command and add a hotkey to it.

Personaly I do it with a global hotkey tool or a button on my logitech keyboard.
Thank you !
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

Hi, i'd like to ask if it's possible to pass further parameters to the JTF exe beyond "-jump" in order to fill the search field with dynamic data.
In my case i'm already wrapping JTF with my own AHK script so i can just wait for the window and then send the text that way, but i feel like this would be a natural and very welcome addition in a lot of other situations and setups.

For example:

JumpToFolder.exe -jump -search "audio: Disclosure"
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

Also JTF doesn't select the file in the explorer window when i select it (pressing Enter or double click) after the Everything window closes. It only jumps to the folder but doesn't select or fill out anything. Could this be a bug?

I'm on JTF 1.0.8 and still on Everything 1.4.1.1015.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Version 1.0.8dw from this thread works fine with Explorer.
Files are selected and dirs are entered.
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

horst.epp wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:58 pm Version 1.0.8dw from this thread works fine with Explorer.
Files are selected and dirs are entered.
That's actually the version i'm running, but i also have this issue with plain 1.0.8 😅
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

Respectfully bumping so that NotNull might see this 👀
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

waffeln wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:10 pm Respectfully bumping so that NotNull might see this 👀
You got my attention :D
(thought this was all about the dw variant ..)

Is this your question?
Also JTF doesn't select the file in the explorer window when i select it (pressing Enter or double click) after the Everything window closes. It only jumps to the folder but doesn't select or fill out anything. Could this be a bug?
In that case:
Could be a timing issue, indeed. Are you opening a remote folder that opens slowly or has lots of files/folders in it? (meaning enumerating all files/folder takes a while and Explorer takes more time than usual to "draw" all this on the screen).

As you are already familiar with AHK, you could test the following :

In the JumpToFolder.ahk code (version 1.0.8), change line 981 from sleep 100 to sleep 1000
This will wait a full second (1000 milliseconds) before the file is selected.
Does the file get selected in this case?
(In the end, a value of sleep 250 should suffice, I suspect).

if ( _thisID = _checkID )
		{
		;	Go to folder
			$Exp.Navigate( _thisFOLDER )

;	Select the file (if defined)
			If ( _thisFILE )
			{
				sleep 1000
				_allfiles := $Exp.Document.Folder.Items
				$Exp.Document.SelectItem(_allfiles.Item(_thisFILE), 0x1D)
			}
			break
		}

waffeln wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:08 pm Hi, i'd like to ask if it's possible to pass further parameters to the JTF exe beyond "-jump" in order to fill the search field with dynamic data.
Dynamic data is not possible at the moment. Support for static data is already built-in:
In Everything, you can create a filter JumpToFolder and that will automatically be used.

There is also a start_everything ini-setting where you can provide specific start parametres to be used by Everything. But that is static too.

Off-topic:
"audio: Disclosure"

Disclosure, the band or the album by the Gathering or..?
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

Thank you NotNull for replying!
Does the file get selected in this case?
No. I tried the change but it can't work because the function where this code lives, FeedExplorerFileMan, doesn't get called anywhere as far as i can tell. I've also checked using a MsgBox at the top of the function to make sure it's not getting called.
In Everything, you can create a filter JumpToFolder and that will automatically be used.
i'm already using them :P but i need to use dynamic data, so i'll just keep hacking on top of JTF for now :V
Disclosure, the band or the album by the Gathering or..?
english electronic music duo, highly recommended

And finally i have a new question as well: How can i restore the default Everything context menu entry? (Since i'm triggering JTF using shortcuts and the default Everything context menu entry is super helpful). I noticed that the installer has a "Restore Defaults" action and that it's not implemented yet :V but i'd like to know anyway to restore that.

Thanks and regards, waffeln
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

waffeln wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:24 pm FeedExplorerFileMan, doesn't get called anywhere as far as i can tell.
That is unexpected :shock: That is the part of the code that is responsible for changing folders in Explorer.
FeedExplorerFileMan doesn't get called and yet .. the folder changes in Explorer (minus selecting the filename)

You can add debug=1 to the ini-file to step through the process. Messageboxes will show what is executed and what the result is.

waffeln wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:24 pm And finally i have a new question as well: How can i restore the default Everything context menu entry? (Since i'm triggering JTF using shortcuts and the default Everything context menu entry is super helpful). I noticed that the installer has a "Restore Defaults" action and that it's not implemented yet :V but i'd like to know anyway to restore that.
-delete (or rename) the ini-file
- run JumpToFolder (without parameters)
- configure
- "Save and install context menu"
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

Hi NotNull.

Regarding the debugging, all debug MsgBox have valid content, i've wrote a few down (trimmed):

Detected WindowType = [OpenSave]
EverythingID = [0xd0600]
We are in Everything detected_everything_version = [1.4] Found path = [D:\...\file.mp3]

Found :
[D:\...\file.mp3]

You selected path:
[D:\...\file.mp3]

PathSplit: (ok)

FolderPath... (ok)
and after that, it jumps to the folder and doesn't select the file, just like before. I don't see any other messages boxes.

Regarding your instructions on how to reverse the context menu entry - those simply setup JumpToFolder for me, not revert the entry to "Search with Everything" or whatever it was called before.

Regards, waffeln :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

waffeln wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:20 pm "Search with Everything"
Ah, misunderstanding... I think you are looking for the Show Search Everything folder context menu item setting in Everything (Options > General)?

I don't see any other messages boxes.
Completely forgot: I did remove those. I do have a version with more debug code. Will send it through PM (might take a while)
rubisco

Post by rubisco »

Truly, a great script! Thank you for making it available to the public :)
Does anyone else have problems with Double Commander opening folders stubbornly in new instances instead of new tabs of the existing instance? (I do not have this problem when launching C:\Program Files\Double Commander\doublecmd.exe -C -T d:\ from the CMD but when tweaking the Feed function it does not work). I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!
waffeln

Post by waffeln »

NotNull wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:57 pm Ah, misunderstanding... I think you are looking for the Show Search Everything folder context menu item setting in Everything (Options > General)?
Yes! Thanks a lot :)
sauljhl

Post by sauljhl »

Hey folks, total newb in this kind of space, so still absorbing it all...

What are the diff's between this 'JumpToFolder' augmentation of Everything, & this one? (QuickSwitch)
Is there functionality overlap, & if so, do you plan to eventually deprecate one in favour of the other?

Oh, & you didn't give JumpToFolder a new name; I thought you didn't like it, @NotNull !? :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

sauljhl wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:09 pm Oh, & you didn't give JumpToFolder a new name; I thought you didn't like it, @NotNull !?
I still don't like it, but people are used to it now.
sauljhl wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:09 pm What are the diff's between this 'JumpToFolder' augmentation of Everything, & this one? (QuickSwitch)
Is there functionality overlap, & if so, do you plan to eventually deprecate one in favour of the other?
QuickSwitch = Uses opened file manager folders in File dialogs
JumpToFolder = Use the power of Everything in file dialogs and file managers.

So QuickSwitch has nothing to do with Everything.

In the end they will become one application, as the "engine room" of both share a lot of code.
Don't know if it will be in the next version (started working on that a couple of weeks ago), but eventually they will converge.