Separate Filters Menu

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Separate Filters Menu

Post by meteorquake »

The filters can get quite a few and I think they would be better as a separate filter main menu rather than placed at the bottom of the Search menu.
As a middle way, perhaps Everything could make the choice - when you have sufficient number of filters, or have simply started defining them, place a separate menu for them.
Or perhaps an option to let the user decide to do so... the option to have a separate menu could be in the organise filters popup.
David
raccoon

Re: Separate Filters Menu

Post by raccoon »

If you have so many filters, are you sure that you're not making bookmarks instead?

Maybe you want to save your filters as bookmarks which has a nice menu and folder system. You can still assign a macro keyword and keyboard shortcut to bookmarks as you can with filters.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Consider using the Filter bar (View -> Filter Bar)

Consider using the Filter sidebar (View -> Filters)

Consider using the Select Filter dialog (Ctrl + K)

Ctrl + [ and Ctrl + ] will cycle through filters, which may help save some clicks.

Consider enabling menu_folders and sorting your filters into folders:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /menu_folders=1
  • If succcessful, menu_folders=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • Now you can use a \ in your filter names to place them into folders.
  • For example, to place the 123 filter into a folder called ABC, change the name to:
    ABC\123
menu_folders
menu_folder_separator

Consider enabling menu_items_per_column to split the menus into columns:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /menu_items_per_column=50
  • If succcessful, menu_folders=50 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • Everything will now split menus into columns with up to 50 items each.
menu_items_per_column
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Ah... sounds like it was there in front of me!
The Filters Bar looks best for me.
I think I got so used to looking at the filters under Search that I didn't think about options for it elsewhere!
Perhaps a little text at no cost at the bottom of the Organise Filters dialog mentioning those two items are under view would help anyone like me! e.g. "Look under View menu for viewing options" :)
David