ETP Sever - Reconnect option

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
dgbear

ETP Sever - Reconnect option

Post by dgbear »

I use everything etp server as an integral part of my daily activities. This great program is so useful, thanks so much for all you excellent work.

I use a shortcut to connect the "everything client" search window to the remote computer. The shortcut icons are color coded and contain the name and authentication information to make the connection a breeze. I often have many client sessions connecting to each remote computer as I often repeat similar searches during the day/week.

The issue I have is when there are network interruptions that disconnect the etp server communications. This can be in the form of a wifi disruption, a computer going to sleep or some temporary network issue.

When this happens, I get one popup for each client connection that gets disconnected from the associated etp server that has lost connectivity. The popup tells me I have been disconnected from the ETP server.

To reconnect, I have to respond to the popups, close the client applications, then relaunch the client application and re-enter the individual search criteria.

It would be very nice to have some options to help re-establish the connection.

A. Have the client try and re-establish the connection. X retries at y time intervals.
This would allow the connection to reconnect without a lot of user intervention in cases of temporary communication loss.

B. Add a reconnect option button to the popup dialog box so the user can continue (without having to re-enter the authentication information).

Thanks for the excellent support of this excellent tool.
void
Developer

Re: ETP Sever - Reconnect option

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback dgbear,

I will consider reconnection support for the Everything ETP client.
Thank you for your suggestion.

For now, it might be easier to exit Everything and restart with your connection parameters.

Consider running a bat file:
Everything ETP client.bat

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -instance "ETP Client" -exit
Everything.exe -instance "ETP Client" -connect username:password@host:port
The above will exit the existing instance and start a fresh one with a new connection.

Multiple instances

The Everything Server is another option.
The Everything client will automatically reconnect to an Everything Server.
dgbear

Post by dgbear »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am running multiple instances to connect to the other computers on the network.

While the -exit option would close all the existing connections without having to respond to all the popups... it does not allow me to reconnect and recall all the individual search criteria I was previously working on.

The "reconnect and re-input the search criteria" in the search bar is the real problem I trying to address.
greatquux

Post by greatquux »

void wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:57 am

The Everything Server is likely to replace ETP.
The Everything client will automatically reconnect to an Everything Server.
Please do not eliminate ETP support. It is definitely better for our use case than the newer Server, since we only need/want one copy of the database that is only loaded into memory once. Thanks. :)
void
Developer

Post by void »

ETP will be supported in Everything 1.5 and future versions of Everything.

ETP will most likely be moved to a plugin for Everything 1.5.

The Everything Server simply adds another option to share indexes.