Is there a way to navigate folders/files similar to a filesystem explorer?

General discussion related to "Everything".
Snippet24

Is there a way to navigate folders/files similar to a filesystem explorer?

Post by Snippet24 »

Example I index a drive and want to share that with someone else so he can navigate the Everything's index, double click ing a folder shows the content of the folder, and the same for subfolders.
raccoon

Re: Is there a way to navigate folders/files similar to a filesystem explorer?

Post by raccoon »

Right now I don't know of a click-based navigation solution that populates the search bar with the path of the object you click on.

Such a feature would be well received, but right now the developer is working on a navigable Folders sidebar in the 1.5 alpha releases.

@void: I would enjoy a feature that allowed me to, say, Alt+Click or Middle-Click on an object and have that object path placed/replaced into the search bar. Similar how '/hotkey_explorer_path_search=1' hotkey or Windows Explorer 'Search Everything' context menu populates the Everything search bar with a folder path. I think it would be well received and worth experimenting with.

(If you use the path: prefix, as in path:"C:\Windows\System\", then it will be easier to find and change this search term between clicks.)
vsub

Post by vsub »

raccoon wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:34 pm
@void: I would enjoy a feature that allowed me to, say, Alt+Click or Middle-Click on an object and have that object path placed/replaced into the search bar. Similar how '/hotkey_explorer_path_search=1' hotkey or Windows Explorer 'Search Everything' context menu populates the Everything search bar with a folder path. I think it would be well received and worth experimenting with.

(If you use the path: prefix, as in path:"C:\Windows\System\", then it will be easier to find and change this search term between clicks.)
You can currently drop an object into the address bar and it will add it but it is only useful when dropping folders
Dropping a folder will replace the search
Dropping a folder while holding ctrl will add | and the path
Snippet24

Post by Snippet24 »

Right now I don't know of a click-based navigation solution that populates the search bar with the path of the object you click on.
Okey thank you ;-)

Forgot to add, that perhaps results could be seen in a tree like navigation something like Recuva 's "three mode view"?
113521_12122021.jpg
113521_12122021.jpg (19.75 KiB) Viewed 8182 times
130505_12122021.jpg
130505_12122021.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 8182 times
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

In Everything 1.5 Alpha you will find something similar from the menu View -> Folders (TODO) which is still highly experimental and incomplete.
Snippet24

Post by Snippet24 »

raccoon wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:04 pm In Everything 1.5 Alpha you will find something similar from the menu View -> Folders (TODO) which is still highly experimental and incomplete.
That's great, thank you very much :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Another way could be to export the results of your search (e.g. c:\movies video: ) to an EFU file list (Menu:File > Export) and open that EFU file with EFU Tree Viewer.

Tha way you can send just these files and your friend doesn't even have to have Everything installed to be able to view it.
Snippet24

Post by Snippet24 »

Another way could be to export the results of your search (e.g. c:\movies video: ) to an EFU file list (Menu:File > Export) and open that EFU file with EFU Tree Viewer.
Ohh you made my day!!! So amazing thank you very very much ;)
runmode

Post by runmode »

I just created a parallel thread, before I found this here:
viewtopic.php?p=59372#p59372

Here is my view of the solution as of today:

- To navigate downwards: Drag and drop a folder from the result list to the search bar to change to this directory.

- To navigate upwards: Edit the search term (manually erase the path tail right from the last but one "/") to go up the tree. The search term is tolerant for missing closing quotation marks (at least in v1.5, not tested for 1.4).
Just this action could be supported better by the program, perhaps there is a way?
vsub wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:02 am You can currently drop an object into the address bar and it will add it but it is only useful when dropping folders
Dropping a folder will replace the search
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Whatever David adds in Everything, it will not beat any of the better 2 pane file managers.
The integration of Everything with a real file manager is much easier to operate
and gives the best of two tools.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I'm not sure that's strictly true as it depends on what you mean by "better" - one person's better is another person's clutter and confusion (one of the reasons I tend to use Notepad2 over Notepad++ for simpler tasks). They operate with a different mindset.
In terms of my own use versus other apps, it's almost there with only a few things I have to jump into another program for.
Multiple panes I do by having several Everything windows side by side (typically 3) - I hope some time multiple window arrangements will be systematised a bit.

David