Tweak to navigation keys during rename

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
ardee

Tweak to navigation keys during rename

Post by ardee »

Thank you for a phenomenal tool! I am using 1.5 alpha now and it added/improved some things I'd long wished for but never requested -- amazing.

There is one small tweak that I'd find so useful: a change in how the arrow and other navigation keys work during a rename:

• You hit F2 to rename, then hit the right arrow to go to the end of the filename (without the extension) -- but it goes one character "too far" and the cursor is now after the period. And hitting the End key instead of the right arrow goes to the end of the extension. It would be great to have a shortcut (my preference: right-arrow) to just go to the end of the highlighted filename (i.e., excluding the extension).

• While renaming, when you use Ctrl+Right or Ctrl+Left to move by words within the filename, certain characters -- especially period (.) and underscore (_) -- are not considered a break between words, but I'd argue that they should be. As it stands, the by-word jumps often cause the cursor to move waaay too far in my opinion. Is this something that can be tweaked?

Thanks!
NotNull

Re: Tweak to navigation keys during rename

Post by NotNull »

ardee wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:58 pm • You hit F2 to rename, then hit the right arrow to go to the end of the filename (without the extension) -- but it goes one character "too far" and the cursor is now after the period. And hitting the End key instead of the right arrow goes to the end of the extension. It would be great to have a shortcut (my preference: right-arrow) to just go to the end of the highlighted filename (i.e., excluding the extension).
Here it positions the cursor right *before* the period. What keyboard/input language are you using? (US International in my case)
I think Everything follows the Windows standard; what happens if you press F2, followed by cursor right on a file in File Explorer?

ardee wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:58 pm • While renaming, when you use Ctrl+Right or Ctrl+Left to move by words within the filename, certain characters -- especially period (.) and underscore (_) -- are not considered a break between words, but I'd argue that they should be. As it stands, the by-word jumps often cause the cursor to move waaay too far in my opinion. Is this something that can be tweaked?
I (still ;)) think Everything follows the Windows standard here. You can test this in File Explorer too.
It looks like applications can define their own application-specific standards for that (link). However .. I am in no way qualified to say anything meaningful about this subject.
ardee

Post by ardee »

NotNull, thank you for the response. You're right that Windows Explorer acts the same way. My keyboard setting is called "English (United States) - US". Is there a better choice for a U.S. resident?

Meanwhile, I'll search around and see if I can do something to change the Windows standard for handling move-by-word settings on my PC.

Thanks again!
ardee

Post by ardee »

Updates:

1. I tried the US International keyboard layout but it changed nothing.

2. I and many others have wanted to redefine word boundaries for ctrl+arrow movements but have failed to learn how to do it (or whether it's even possible):
https://superuser.com/questions/1072994 ... ator-for-c

If only underscore and dot, in addition to space, were treated as word boundaries!

3. The "F2 followed by right arrow" behavior is apparently unique to my PC, as everyone else says the cursor goes to the end of the filename, before the dot, but for me it goes after the dot. FWIW, I use XYplorer, which does work the way I expect for renaming, so I've gotten spoiled in that regard.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

ardee wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:01 pm3. The "F2 followed by right arrow" behavior is apparently unique to my PC, as everyone else says the cursor goes to the end of the filename, before the dot, but for me it goes after the dot.
Just to add my own experience with left/right rename navigation, it does behave for me as @ardee describes, and I've long ago developed the muscle memory to slap right,left when I want to append text at the end of the filename before the file extension. Pressing the right-key dismisses the text selection while moving the caret from the left to the right of the period, and the left-key moves the caret back to the left of the period. (The same behavior as in Windows Explorer when extensions are visible.)

@ardee: Are you performing a lot of repetitious renaming, and is it the same text that you're adding to the ends of multiple filenames? Have you considered using Advanced Rename to knock them all out in a single blow?

@NotNull: nifty find on EditWordBreakProc, I didn't even know that was there. Seems like a lot of work though might make an interesting advanced feature. /editbox_breakpoint_characters= but is there an exhaustive list of all the known default breakpoint characters in unicode?
Last edited by raccoon on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

It would be great to have a shortcut (my preference: right-arrow) to just go to the end of the highlighted filename (i.e., excluding the extension)
i have this desired behavior of et with the following ini-settings:

rename_move_caret_to_selection_end=1
rename_nav=1

iirc this my old topic helped to obtain such 'caret' possibility in et
void
Developer

Post by void »

• You hit F2 to rename, then hit the right arrow to go to the end of the filename (without the extension) -- but it goes one character "too far" and the cursor is now after the period. And hitting the End key instead of the right arrow goes to the end of the extension. It would be great to have a shortcut (my preference: right-arrow) to just go to the end of the highlighted filename (i.e., excluding the extension).
I prefer this too.

To enable this functionality:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /rename_move_caret_to_selection_end=1
  • If successful, rename_move_caret_to_selection_end=1 is shown in the statusbar for a few seconds.
A lot of users will be use to the Windows Explorer inline rename and I try to replicate this.

rename_move_caret_to_selection_end

• While renaming, when you use Ctrl+Right or Ctrl+Left to move by words within the filename, certain characters -- especially period (.) and underscore (_) -- are not considered a break between words, but I'd argue that they should be. As it stands, the by-word jumps often cause the cursor to move waaay too far in my opinion. Is this something that can be tweaked?
I have put this on my TODO list.
Thank you for the suggestion.
ardee

Post by ardee »

Dear void,

I am bowled over. The "/rename_move_caret_to_selection_end=1" command worked perfectly. I was already amazed at the incredible level of thought and detail you so obviously put into Everything, and now I'm beyond amazed...

...and now I can also look forward to the "underscore and dot count as word breaks" change in a future update.

Thank you so much!
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I'm actually surprised too. That's an extraordinarily nuanced and attention-to-detail configurable option. How does @void do it?!