Add a Skip All button to the Advanced Rename error dialog

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
wkearney99

Add a Skip All button to the Advanced Rename error dialog

Post by wkearney99 »

If I select a search and do an Advanced Rename, and the target file already exists, it pops up an Error dialog.

It'd be handy if that dialog had a functionality similar to the Explorer move/copy process. Where it gives you an option on whether to carry out the action on all conflicts.

I realize the way the Explorer handles this is more complicated (as renames/copies could iterate) so maybe just an "Ignore All" button.

Otherwise the error pops up for each and every conflict.

This gets worse because it automagically resizes the dialog box to fit the pathname of the file.

And it gets even WORSE if you make the mistake of pressing Enter and let keyboard autorepeat take over... because when it defaults back to the Everything window those Enter repeats suddenly start turning into Open commands on what could be A WHOLE LOT OF FILES! Tied up my machine a good 10 minutes before I could get in there with a pskill to stop the runaway train.

So, yeah, an Ignore or Skip option would be great on the Advanced Rename error dialog.
void
Developer

Re: Add a Skip All button to the Advanced Rename error dialog

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback wkearney99,

Please hold down shift and click Yes/No to apply Yes to all/No to all.

Improving the collision and error dialogs is on my TODO list.
Currently, Everything uses the OS to handle most of the dialogs.
wkearney99

Post by wkearney99 »

Nice, a secret key modifier is better than nothing!
therube

Post by therube »

I'll just note that there are situations where the Shift trick does not work.

You know, the great speler that I am, I wanted to do something like %s/tatoo/tattoo/g.
So I set Old: to tatoo & New: to tattoo, & that would have been fine - except I ran into:

"name invalid or too long"

That extra t stood for too long file name (>255 paltry characters), I suppose ;-).
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I don't know if this would be useful to you.

I use a programme, Teracopy, which has skip, skip all, keep both files etc and it also verifies the copy.
It overrides, if you choose to do so, the Windows dialogue box and works well with Everything. I've been using it for several years now and never had a problem.
Teracopy.jpg
Teracopy.jpg (55.78 KiB) Viewed 4614 times