How do I set up a pattern to exclude the "node_modules" and ".git" folders from being indexed?

General discussion related to "Everything".
haosmos

How do I set up a pattern to exclude the "node_modules" and ".git" folders from being indexed?

Post by haosmos »

I want to exclude folders: "node_modules" and ".git" that I already have on my computer or that will appear from indexing everything, how do I set this up?

I use 1.4.1.1009 (x64).

I use this pattern: *node_modules*;*\.git* — but seems it's doesn't work.
Attachments
Everything_eiqSzvXzGU.png
Everything_eiqSzvXzGU.png (179.27 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
Mizufluffy

Re: How do I set up a pattern to exclude the "node_modules" and ".git" folders from being indexed?

Post by Mizufluffy »

It might help if you added those filters each on their own line? Here's a simple example, tested in Everything 1.4:
Everything_Exclude_Filter.jpg
Everything_Exclude_Filter.jpg (299.69 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
The exclude filter in the options allows only excluding folders but there is this Temporary Excludes feature in Everything 1.5a that allows excluding files, folders or both:
Everything15a_TemporaryExcludes.jpg
Everything15a_TemporaryExcludes.jpg (16.39 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
therube

Re: How do I set up a pattern to exclude the "node_modules" and ".git" folders from being indexed?

Post by therube »

Not particularly sure, but (until someone says better) I think this will get you closer... ?

Add Filter...
regex:\\node_modules

regex:\\\.git
haosmos

Post by haosmos »

therube wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:06 pm Not particularly sure, but (until someone says better) I think this will get you closer... ?

Add Filter...
regex:\\node_modules

regex:\\\.git
— Yes, it works, thank you very much! 👍

Can you please tell me what recommendations you have for configuring indexing everything for the SSD drive?
haosmos

Post by haosmos »

Mizufluffy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:01 pm It might help if you added those filters each on their own line? Here's a simple example, tested in Everything 1.4:
Everything_Exclude_Filter.jpg

The exclude filter in the options allows only excluding folders but there is this Temporary Excludes feature in Everything 1.5a that allows excluding files, folders, or both:
Everything15a_TemporaryExcludes.jpg
— Yes, that works too, thank you very much! 👍

Can you please tell me —«everything 1.5a» is stable? What is your experience with 1.5a? Or is it still too early a version to upgrade to it?
Mizufluffy

Post by Mizufluffy »

haosmos wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:06 pm Can you please tell me —«everything 1.5a» is stable? What is your experience with 1.5a? Or is it still too early a version to upgrade to it?
In my personal experience with 1.5a it has been working well, and void has been fixing up quite quickly when they are being reported and there has been frequent updates since March 2021. I use 1.5a daily for my needs, and the only reason I keep 1.4 is to test or try how something works or compare it to 1.5a version, for example when I'm trying to help on the forum. 1.5a version some good features that are completely missing from 1.4 so for me it would be hard to downgrade and give up on those features. However, it is still an alpha version, not even beta, so if you'd rather use something stable then you might want to stick with 1.4 for now. For more details I'd recommend you to visit Everything 1.5 Alpha discussion on the forum if you are curious.