Need to constantly rebuild in order to update "C:\" and USN journal cannot be created at all for that drive in settings

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
voidrat

Need to constantly rebuild in order to update "C:\" and USN journal cannot be created at all for that drive in settings

Post by voidrat »

Like the title says, I've been unable to get everything to index my (C:) Drive without forcing a rebuild every time. I've read through other posts about this and similar issues but non of them seem to really have a working fix for my issue. Through my own experimentation I have found that there appears to be an issue when creating a USN Journal in that specific drive. Reinstalling, disabling short-names, and even using version 1.5 doesn't seem to be working and presents the same error. Any help would be appreciated
Attachments
Everything64_m5DwMquYwz.png
Everything64_m5DwMquYwz.png (6.87 KiB) Viewed 5068 times
void
Developer

Re: Need to constantly rebuild in order to update "C:\" and USN journal cannot be created at all for that drive in setti

Post by void »

This error usually occurs when Everything does not have enough privileges to create the USN Journal.

Or, the USN Journal is pending deletion.

Everything will only create the USN Journal if it has been deleted.
It is unusual the USN Journal has been deleted.
void
Developer

Re: Need to constantly rebuild in order to update "C:\" and USN journal cannot be created at all for that drive in setti

Post by void »

Please try right clicking a shortcut to Everything and running Everything as an admin.
  • In Everything (running as an admin), type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
    ---this will show the debug console.
  • from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Select C:
  • Check Enable USN Journal.
  • Click OK.
If an error occurs, please check the debug console for the following line:
Failed to create USN Journal <error-code>

What is the error code?

Please note Everything will need to be running as an admin to see this error code.

To close the debug console:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
voidrat

Post by voidrat »

I have followed those steps and these are the errors I encountered

failed to query USN Journal 1179
Failed to create USN Journal 1392
void
Developer

Post by void »

Error 1179 is ERROR_JOURNAL_NOT_ACTIVE, which confirms the USN Journal has been deleted.

Error 1392 is ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT

Please make a backup of anything important and check your drive for errors:
  • Please backup anything important on your drive before checking it for errors.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click your drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now...
  • Click Start
  • If prompted to schedule a scan on the next restart, click Yes.
void
Developer

Post by void »

From a admin command prompt, please try running the following commands:

fsutil usn queryjournal c:

(I suspect this will fail with journal not active)
What is shown in the command prompt?

Please try deleting the USN Journal and restarting:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D c:

(I suspect this will fail with journal not active)
voidrat

Post by voidrat »

well, as you suspected, this failed with journal not active.
Attachments
cmd_ldGFGpqBhs.png
cmd_ldGFGpqBhs.png (13.48 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make a backup of anything important on your C: drive and check your C: drive for errors:
  • Please backup anything important on your drive before checking it for errors.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click your C: drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now...
  • Click Start
  • If prompted to schedule a scan on the next restart, click Yes. (this will most likely be shown for the C: drive)
  • Restart your PC.
Does the issue persist?
voidrat

Post by voidrat »

I actually already anticipated needing to do that so I did just a few minutes ago, still no luck unfortunately
void
Developer

Post by void »

Unfortunately, a reformat is most likely needed to fix the problem.

Is the drive using NTFS encryption?

To prevent the error from showing in Everything and continue using the drive with the corrupt USN Journal:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Select C:
  • Uncheck Include in database.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your C: drive and click OK.
  • Click OK.
voidrat

Post by voidrat »

The drive is not using encryption as far as I'm aware. This issue only started happening recently but I'm not sure what could have caused it