Stopping unwanted (PUA) file from downloading

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
harryray2

Stopping unwanted (PUA) file from downloading

Post by harryray2 »

Any idea how to stop unwanted files downloading.
I recently downloaded Trisun winext. The exe file that I downloaded is clean and doesn't contain a PUA but when I run the executable it downloads a file to the temp directory.

It's easy enough to get rid of, I just delete the file from temp and carry on with the installation but I would like a way to block it downloading in the first place.

Thanks
therube

Re: Stopping unwanted (PUA) file from downloading

Post by therube »

I don't believe in such "cleaning" utilities...
I suppose it is pulling this file down from one of its servers?
If so, you might be able to catch its' IP, then block it with your HOSTS file.
(Nirsoft probably has a utility to do that ;-).)

That said, if "downloaded is clean", then why "when I run the executable it downloads a file to the temp directory" ?

Just what is that file?
Is it "updates" to the rules that winext uses to do its work?
Or is it a miner or something like that?

If the latter, do you actually trust this utility?
(Do you trust it in any case?)
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I assume they do this to get around the virus check on the file is to download another file separately. The installation file is clean it's just this PUA that's the problem.
I though about the hosts file but I need to see what address the file is coming from.

A lot of the executable programmes unpack into the temp folder before installing, it's one of the reasons that I've prohibited running files from the temp folder with an entry in my security policy until I allow it.

A few legit software companies do this, in the case of Trisun the PUA is a targeted adverts programme. It appears to be with all their programmes not just win ext but also duplicate file finder (which is actually a good programme) and others.
therube

Post by therube »

duplicate file finder (which is actually a good programme) and others
It's "free" version is an utter joke, IMO.
Be careful: it only compares file size, not file content
Not to mention, that it (for the most part) only scans drives (& yet, it won't even allow you to exclude an entire drive - only subdirectories thereof). (No idea what's its ending UI looks like, but I wouldn't hold much hope.)

And if that is what you wanted to do, there is this little 'ol program, named Everything (go figure),
sizedupe:
(& done).

If you want full featured, AllDup or Duplicate Cleaner.