Cannot search content of docs, with two words

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
adriancornea52

Cannot search content of docs, with two words

Post by adriancornea52 »

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot for this nice software!

My problem is the following... I installed the program, and when installing "No NTFS indexing", because I don't want the program to index my whole computer. After installing, I added the folder I want to search in, Options->Indexing->Folders. It is a folder full of .doc, .docx and .odt documents. I want to use Everything to search within the contents of these documents. There are over 1300 documents in the folder.

So, I searched using "content:searchword". If I enter a single word after "content:", it finds all (I hope so) documents that contain that word. If I search using the quotation marks, like content:"spiritual experiences", the software finds all the documents with that particular phrase. It finds 14 files. But if I enter: content:spiritual experiences, it should search for documents which contain "spiritual" AND "experiences" in the content... no? But it finds only 2 files... The logic would be that it should find the 14 files which contain the phrase (because they are the same two words), and other files in which both the words "spiritual" and "experiences" appear but not as a phrase. From what I understand, if I enter two words for searching, the default Boolean operator is "AND".

... What could be the problem? Please help!

I tried enabling the Everything service too, as it was disabled after installing (because I selected No NTFS Indexing when installing). I don't know if it has anything to do with it.

I use Windowd 10 Home 64bit, with the latest updates installed.
NotNull

Re: Cannot search content of docs, with two words

Post by NotNull »

When searching for content:spiritual experiences, the content serach stops after the space and will continue to search for filenames that contain 'experience'. It is the same as searching for experiences content:spiritual

When you want to search for files that contain spiritual as well as experiences in their content (in any order) try searching for:

Code: Select all

content:spiritual   content:experiences
adriancornea52

Post by adriancornea52 »

It works, the way you recommended. Thanks!
LeoLUG

Post by LeoLUG »

I think it will work also easier:

Code: Select all

content:<spiritual experiences>
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

If this question was in the Everything 1.5 alpha forum, that would be an easier option indeed.