.efu export should always quote alpha fields?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
therube

Post by therube »

(I was thinking, initially, only about Name. But I suppose it's possible that you could also have Path or something else in there that would requiring quoting...)

As it is, you only quote when necessary.

That makes it harder to "edit" a .efu.
If (Name) were always quoted, you could (for instance) do something like %s/",/"/ to turn a .efu into a .txt...
When there is a mix of quotes, or not, it makes it more difficult.

(For some reason, that escapes me now, a couple years back, at the time, I decided to use a modified .efu rather then a .txt to "create" a .m3u file.)

Anyhow, to me, if there were consistency...
And yes, potentially (at least) 2 bytes per record...
therube

Re: .efu export should always quote alpha fields?

Post by therube »

(oh, just babbling...)

> (For some reason, that escapes me now, a couple years back, at the time, I decided to use a modified .efu
> rather then a .txt to > "create" a .m3u file.)

Reason still escapes me.
Maybe the particular player at the time needed double quotes around the file name, not sure?

Anyhow, make note of,
%s/",.*/"/
;-).
(also note, I did not type it correctly, above)

So it seems, at that time, starting with an .efu, when I cleaned it up, I sure did "clean" it.
What I (must have) done was
%s/,.*/"/
rather then
%s/",.*/"/
, so what I ended up doing was to truncating any file name that contained a comma in it. Not too bright ;).

And what happened with that, is that any file name that contained a comma, would never play (as the name was not complete).

Now, in my current player (mpv.net) that has a side effect in that any directory name passed to the player (even through a playlist, .m3u) causes (probably by default, but can be changed) all files within said directory to load (into the playlist).

So as I'm playing (randomized) music (from my playlist), all of a sudden I'm getting the same artist (*Alison Krauss) playing, one song after another, & I'm like, that shouldn't be, & that is what clued me in to my mistake from a couple years back ;-).

So (I have a directory named):
/Alison Krauss, Robert Plant - Raising Sand/
Which becomes (after my erroneous editing):
/Alison Krauss/
& as it was, I also happened to have a directory named /Alison Krauss/
& with that, the directory /Alison Krauss/ was added to my playlist (in the players memory), & all the files within that directory, & so they played (in succession).

*Playing a song from her, here & there, is fine, but a directory full, in succession, well that is just too much ;-).
void
Developer

Post by void »

Consistency is important.

The next alpha update will double quote ALL CSV text fields.

Thanks for the suggestion!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1265a will now export ALL CSV text fields with double quotes.