Everything Search Windows 7 Integration

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
Sparx

Everything Search Windows 7 Integration

Post by Sparx »

Hi all, I thought I'd share something helpful I made awhile ago: a semi-complete integration of Everything with Windows 7

I made this quickly with AutoHotkey, I haven't tested it in every possible scenario so it may contain various bugs depending on characters in files/folders that I haven't accounted for. This may or may not work on Windows 8, I have no idea (it should though..)

What it does:
  • Pressing F3 while on the desktop or in Windows Explorer will open up a new instance of Everything with the address of the folder you were browsing already entered; from there you can just append a search query onto the end of the path to find files in the specified path
  • When searching from the Start Menu, the instant results are not returned by Everything, they're still returned using Windows Search (and honestly I'm not sure that can ever be changed). However, pressing "See more results" will open up an instance of Everything containing your search query.
How to install:
  • EverythingIntegration.exe can be placed anywhere, but should be run at startup
  • EverythingPassVar.exe must be placed in your C:\Windows\ folder
  • Ensure that Everything.exe (the search program itself) is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Everything\Everything.exe
  • Merge the registry values contained in EverythingRegistry.reg into your registry
How to uninstall:
  • Delete EverythingIntegration.exe, EverythingPassVar.exe (optional)
  • Merge the registry values contained in EverythingIntegrationUninstall.reg into your registry (required)
Included in the zip file are the .ahk files used to compile the .exe files, for anyone that wishes to try and improve this. Please let me know if you have any problems, I'll do my best to fix them

Enjoy

Download: EverythingIntegration.zip
gggirlgeek

Re: Everything Search Windows 7 Integration

Post by gggirlgeek »

Works exactly as described. Thank you!!!!!!

Notes:
1. Everything must be in the Program Files (x86) folder, even if you're using the 64bit version

2. Everything must be named Everything.exe. So if you're running other versions, for example, Everything_NoExclusions.exe, rename those instead of your main search program.

3. To use this with the portable version of Everything create a symbolic link to your portable "Everything" FOLDER (not the program) in Program Files (x86). (I use Link Shell Extension to make easy symbolic links.)
  • This doesn't make the F3 button work in other computers. It simply allows you to use Everything.exe from another location and keep your options (like I do.)
gggirlgeek

Post by gggirlgeek »

Unfortunately the this utility would open up a new instance of Everything, without my custom settings, every time I searched from F3. (I automatically start Everything at logon.) It's because I run Everything with a new instance name (Everything_New.) EverythingIntegration was not adding my -instance commandline switch so my .ini file was not being read.

I fixed it.
(Note: if you only run 1 instance and Everything.exe isn't portable step 1 should be all you need.)
1. Rename Everything.exe to something like Everything_link.exe. Create a Hardlink (NOT a symbolic link) to it in the same folder. (Use Link Shell Extension if you want.) Rename the link to Everything.exe.
2. Now edit your startup command to be "C:\program files (x86)\Everything\Everything.exe -startup -instance Everything_New" (where Everything_New is your instance name.)
3. I also change my Everything.exe entries in the Registry to add the command line parameters after them.
4. You may need to rename your Everything.ico to the same as your db file so your custom icon will show as well. (Mine is Everything-Everything_New.db).

Also edit any shortcuts with the link to the C: drive so they don't open a new instance.

F3 and start menu search open my current instance of Everything now!
xpclient

Post by xpclient »

Hey Sparx, that works brilliantly. Can you please explain how it works with the hooking of "Search everywhere"/"See more results"? Is there any way you could make it work with Classic Shell's Start Menu too? It also has "See more results". Can you make it open Everything too instead of Explorer? :)
pgross41

Post by pgross41 »

I just posted something similar and noticed this one. Does yours have any extra functionality that mine doesn't? http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=5232
sUs1

Post by sUs1 »

You guys are aWESOMe.. thankyou very much!
xpclient

Post by xpclient »

Can you update this please for Windows 10? It looks like some changes Microsoft made to Explorer broke this.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

This is a thread necro from many years ago, and many options in Everything have been added.

For one, you can edit the Everything.ini for the option hotkey_explorer_path_search from 0 to 1 so it automatically adds the Explorer Path to the Everything search bar. Then assign a Hotkey (I use the Pause key, this script uses F3) to Everything under the menu Tools > Options !! General > Keyboard > "Toggle window Hotkey".

The above knocks out the primary feature of this Autohotkey Script, imho.

Describe the functionality you are still wanting.