Everything Service Help

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
void
Developer

Everything Service Help

Post by void »

What is the Everything service?
The Everything service is a Windows service that indexes and monitors NTFS volumes.
This allows the Everything search client to run with a standard user account without the need for administrative privileges.

What are the requirements for the Everything service?
The Everything Service requires Everything 1.3 beta or later.

Do I need to install the Everything service?
On XP or earlier the Everything service is not required.
On Vista or later with a standard user account you will need to install the Everything service to use NTFS indexing.
On Vista or later with the true administrator account the Everything service is not required.

The Everything service is installed by default on Windows Vista or later when the installer is run with a standard user account.

How do I install the service?
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General Tab.
  • Check Everything Service.
  • Click OK.
-or-
  • Check the Install Everything Service option when running the Everything installer.
How is the Everything service started?
Windows automatically starts the Everything service at system start-up.
The service is launched by running Everything.exe with the -svc command line option.

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -svc
How can I start or stop the Everything service?
The Everything service is always running and generally does not need to be stopped.
However, you can start or stop the Everything service from Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

How can I manage the Everything service from the command line?
Everything.exe -install-service [-install-service-port <port>]
Everything.exe -uninstall-service
Everything.exe -start-service
Everything.exe -stop-service

How can I manage the Everything service from Everything?
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General Tab.
  • Check or uncheck the Everything service to install or uninstall the Everything service.
  • Click OK.
How can I run the Everything service from the portable version of Everything?
To launch the Everything service as a normal administrator application, run the following:

Everything.exe -svc
You can specify the port with -svc-port <port>, for example:

Everything.exe -svc -svc-port 12345
Running the Everything service this way does not modify the system.

The Everything service has no interface.
Use Task Manager to terminate the service application when it is no longer needed.

You can close the portable service application easily by making a batch file that runs Everything.exe -svc
Simply close the console window to terminate the service application.

How many resources does the service use?
The Everything service will use about 1MB of RAM and will have none to very little CPU usage.

Where are service errors reported?
You can find service errors reported in the Event Viewer.

To check for Everything service errors:
  • From the Start menu, click Control Panel, Administrator Tools then Event Viewer.
  • In Event Viewer, open Windows Logs and click Application.
Errors are reported in the Errorlog.txt file in the same location as Everything.exe when running the service as a normal application.

Which is better, the Everything service or run as administrator?
It's up to the user, there's no efficiency or performance difference between running the Everything service or running Everything as administrator. When using the Everything service there's no UAC prompts and applications run from Everything run as a standard user.
therube

Re: Everything Service Help

Post by therube »

Is there a benefit in using the service on Win XP, given that you are most likely running as an Admin, & there is no concept (thankfully) of UAC (or loads of other hogwash)?

Suppose the service would be more efficient if you were running multiple separate instances?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is there a benefit in using the service on Win XP, given that you are most likely running as an Admin, & there is no concept (thankfully) of UAC (or loads of other hogwash)?
There is no benefit in running the Service on XP with an administrator account.
The option to install the Everything service on XP or earlier is unchecked by default.

However, you will need to use the Everything service for NTFS indexing on a limited XP account.

Everything will attempt to access MFTs directly. If direct access fails with access denied Everything will then attempt to connect to the Everything service.
Suppose the service would be more efficient if you were running multiple separate instances?
It makes no difference, the Everything service only allows the Everything client to scan MFTs and monitor USN Journals. (The service is stateless).

You will only need one instance of the service running.
There is no limit to the number of Everything client instances that can connect to the Everything service.
Do I need to install the Everything service?
On XP or earlier the service is not required and is not installed by default.
On Vista or later with a non-administrator account you will need to install the service to use NTFS indexing.
On Vista or later with a true administrator account the service is not required and is not installed by default.
How many resources does the service use?
The Everything service will use about 1MB of RAM and will have very little CPU usage.
void
Developer

Post by void »

If you run the installer with a standard user account on Vista or later the Everything service will be installed by default.

The portable version will never modify the system (unless you change the settings in the General tab).
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

I assume files opened and launched via the client only have the user's rights instead of admin rights if launched from a non-service "Everything"-instance, right?
therube

Post by therube »

If you are not running the Service, & if you are not using Indexes, then the only way Everything will see your drives is if you elevate, meaning it will run with admin rights, & so files launched that way will also have admin rights.

In order to not have admin rights for files launched from within Everything, you either must use the Service or the Indexes.
nagan

Post by nagan »

Today with the everything service ticked off and confirming that it was closed in the process explorer , I also find Everything dishing out the complete list of files in a standard user. So I wonder if Service is at all required for Everything to work across users. If it is a case of once the service is switched ON , it will last for the session even if it is switched off in the middle , then it is OK.

Adding a request of keeping the server , service and may be the whole set of critical options GREYED for a non-admin user.
svobodniy

Post by svobodniy »

Running of Everything server requires administrator privileges... :shock:

And how can I start it with user privileges?
void
Developer

Post by void »

service or server?

Installing the Everything service require administrator privileges, once the service is installed, running the Everything client should no longer requires administrative privileges.

Please right click an Everything shortcut and click properties, click the Compatibility tab and uncheck Run as administrator.

See Everything Service Help for how to install the service.
svobodniy

Post by svobodniy »

void wrote:service or server?
service
void wrote:Installing the Everything service require administrator privileges
It's bad. So without administrator privileges I can't use full functionality of Everything...
therube

Post by therube »

The File Lists functionality still exists without Admin privileges.
void
Developer

Post by void »

It's bad. So without administrator privileges I can't use full functionality of Everything...
Unfortunately, No.
Everything requires the service or admin privileges to index NTFS volumes.
theaccountant

Post by theaccountant »

I was using Portable Everything 1.2.451 without any problems - I didn't have any admin rights on win 8 64 bit and win 7 64 and both have UAC disabled and Windows indexing off.

It could see my USN logging for both C and D drive.

With the most recent version Everything-1.3.3.658 and 1.3.3.657, I cannot see my C or D drives unless

1/ I elevate my rights as admin or
2/ Add C and D as Indexes Folders or
3/ Run Everthing service and set up bat/exe to close this manual (which is a pain for a portable install)

Are these the correct three methods to view C and D drives?

I am trying to understand what has fundamently changed between version 1.2 and 1.3 to change this core behaviour? Is there any need for me to upgrade from version1.2

Many thanks in advance for any responses

Confused
void
Developer

Post by void »

Windows indexing can be disabled without effecting Everything.

Everything 1.2 does not work at all with UAC disabled.

Everything 1.3 will work with the UAC disabled and the service installed.
Are these the correct three methods to view C and D drives?
Yes.
I am trying to understand what has fundamently changed between version 1.2 and 1.3 to change this core behaviour?
The difference between 1.2 and 1.3 is 1.2 has:

<requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />
in the exe's manifest whereas 1.3 does not.
This causes 1.2 to always run as admin (except when the UAC is disabled).

The problem with this is everything you run from "Everything" will also run as admin.

If you want the same behavior as 1.2 you can do one of the following:
  • Right click an Everything shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Run this program as administrator
    -or-
  • Run Everything with the -admin command line option:

Everything.exe -admin
The above will not work with the UAC disabled.
robertcollier4

Post by robertcollier4 »

Can the "Everything service" alone provide results to es.exe command line?
theaccountant

Post by theaccountant »

Thanks Void for the clear explanation of all the options.
mdyoung12

Post by mdyoung12 »

Maybe I'm ignorant when it comes to understanding the Everything service, but how the heck do you perform a searches once it's running? There's no UI for the service.

Here's my situation. I want a standard user to use the Everything search UI and I have the Everything service starting up automatically and running under an account with full admin rights. The service runs fine, but what does the user use to perform a search? If they open the "Search Everything" link from the Start menu, they're prompted to enter admin credentials.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with UAC turned on. How can that standard user perform searches WITHOUT being prompted to enter admin credentials they do not know?

Thanks,

MD.
void
Developer

Post by void »

If they open the "Search Everything" link from the Start menu, they're prompted to enter admin credentials.
Once the service is running the client can run as a standard user.
Please make sure you uncheck Run as administrator from Tools -> Options -> General.

You may also need to disable run as administrator by right clicking the Everything shortcut, under the compatibility tab, uncheck run this program as an administrator.
mdyoung12

Post by mdyoung12 »

void wrote: Once the service is running the client can run as a standard user.
Please make sure you uncheck Run as administrator from Tools -> Options -> General.

You may also need to disable run as administrator by right clicking the Everything shortcut, under the compatibility tab, uncheck run this program as an administrator.

It's a late reply, but I've been pretty busy these past few months.

Anyways, I've started the service and have it running under an administrative account. I've made sure that the "Run as administrator" is unchecked in both the Everything's options and in the shortcut's compatibility tab. When I start the Everything client as a regular user (no admin rights nor power user rights), it still prompts me for administrative credentials. Please advise.

Thanks,

MD
gooly

Post by gooly »

Hi,
I (Win7-64, latest update, Everything Version 1.4.0.713b (x64)) just registered for the same issue:
Anyways, I've started the service and have it running under an administrative account. I've made sure that the "Run as administrator" is unchecked in both the Everything's options and in the shortcut's compatibility tab. When I start the Everything client as a regular user (no admin rights nor power user rights), it still prompts me for administrative credentials. Please advise.
Does anybody know a solution how do I start Everything.exe without being asked for the administrator password each time?
(It is running as service!)
Thanks in advance
Gooly
froggie

Post by froggie »

Gooly -

You say that you have
made sure that the "Run as administrator" is unchecked in both the Everything's options and in the shortcut's compatibility tab
- have you checked the properties of the module itself - everything.exe - to see if "Run as administrator" is unchecked, as well as all compatibility options and that there is no "Security:This file came from another computer and might be blocked" message on the General tab of properties
gooly

Post by gooly »

- have you checked the properties of the module itself - everything.exe - to see if "Run as administrator" is unchecked, as well as all compatibility options
Everywhere where I could find "Run as administrator" it is unchecked!
that there is no "Security:This file came from another computer and might be blocked" message on the General tab of properties
Yes, I checked it, this sentence is not written where it would be.
Thanks!!
gooly

Post by gooly »

Someone gave me a hint "manifest" or https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756929.aspx.
But - as far as I understand this - this should be part of the program - or is there another way to define a manifest for Everything to be run at the execution level of "asInvoker"?
Gooly
gooly

Post by gooly »

Well the problem seems to be that despite Everything was started as Service, as soon as
- I click on my shortcut on the desktop (Target: "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe", Execute in "C:\Program Files\Everything") and
- enter the requested Admin.-Pwd
I see this in the Task Manager: Everything is running three times
ev01.PNG
ev01.PNG (11.12 KiB) Viewed 97312 times
So there might be an option for Everything to use in the shortcut that accesses the running service and not ignoring it.
BTW the option "-isrunas" is not listed in Everything's list of Command Line Options.
Gooly
Last edited by gooly on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

"Everything.exe" is the non-admin Everything waiting for the admin Everything.exe to finish.
"Everything.exe" -svc is the service.
"Everything.exe" -isrunas is the admin Everything.

When Run as administrator is enabled in Everything, running Everything.exe will call another Everything.exe as admin with the -isrunas command line option.

Are you sure Run as administrator is unchecked in Everything -> Tools -> Options -> General?

If it is, please try killing the "Everything.exe" and the "Everything" -isrunas processes and running Everything.exe again.
gooly

Post by gooly »

Yes - as I said before - where ever I found the option "Run as Admin." I disabled it:
ev02.PNG
ev02.PNG (25.3 KiB) Viewed 97308 times
I killed both instances so that only the service is running. I restarted the shortcut and was asked for the Admin.-Pwd. after entering it I had the same situation as before: Everytime three times running.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I restarted the shortcut
Is there any other command line options in your shortcut to Everything?

Open your Everything.ini in the same location as your Everything.exe, make sure run_as_admin is set to 0:
run_as_admin=0

Open your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini and make sure run_as_admin is also set to 0:
run_as_admin=0
gooly

Post by gooly »

Is there any other command line options in your shortcut to Everything?
No, just the call and the folder!

The content of C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.ini:

; Please make sure Everything is not running before modifying this file.
[Everything]
; settings stored in %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini
app_data=1
I left it as it was.

But the content of %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini = C:\Users\cas\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.ini
was: run_as_admin=1 !!!
I set it manually now to 0

=> THAT WAS IT!!
Some how %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini has had the wrong entry!
void
Developer

Post by void »

But the content of %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini = C:\Users\cas\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything.ini
was: run_as_admin=1 !!!
I set it manually now to 0

=> THAT WAS IT!!
This is a bug, Everything will store the run_as_admin setting in the root Everything.ini only in future releases.

Glad to hear Everything is working now.