Troubles stealing focus.

General discussion related to "Everything".
DeerDance

Troubles stealing focus.

Post by DeerDance »

Often I press my chosen shortcut "ctrl numpad-plus" and I cant write right away because everything have problem stealing focus and being on the top. Usually all it have to beat for focus is opera and total commander...

Anyone knows more about this?

Can it be in the shortcut? What key shortcuts you guys use? Alt I can't use, cause opera uses that for menu to show up :/
Otter

Oh yes, important!

Post by Otter »

Please let know how you authors circumvent it. It's impossible you cope with it.

Whenever i set a just F3 or F4 key in Evrything's menu as shortcut, it starts bringing up Evrything from evrywhere! from Firefox, Akelpad and wherever there are such quick searchs. It's impossible. Windows' searcher doesn't somehow for it. What to do?

And an additional information: if i set a key into a windows' .LNK file (F3), and none in Evrything's menu, it doesn't produce several windows - nooo it keeps focusing onto the first broughten up. Shouldn't it be knowing there is a window, and a shortcut from ANYWHERE bring multi windows?
void
Developer

Re: Troubles stealing focus.

Post by void »

Whenever i set a just F3 or F4 key in Evrything's menu as shortcut.
This is by design, set the hotkey to Ctrl + Alt + F3 or something that is not used by other applications.
What key shortcuts you guys use?
I find Ctrl + F12 to useful and not used by other applications.
Otter

Post by Otter »

But why so??? It's obviously less convenient to press CTRL+F3 than just F3. Isn't it good to just let all programs use their internal shortcut, and call Everithing when no one takes it right now, like the Windows' searcher seemingly does? Or at least such possibility (i guess you want to provide an universal calling mechanism, but some rather need a single key for all search).
void
Developer

Post by void »

But why so??? It's obviously less convenient to press CTRL+F3 than just F3.
Yes, it would be.
Unfortunately, this is the limitation with Windows and Hotkeys.

It could be done with hooking.
However, this is not something I would like to use in "Everything".
I am considering implementing support as a plug-in.

I would suggest trying Autohotkey or other third party keyboard shortcut manager.
Otter

Post by Otter »

WoѠ, ! it took me a lot of ages to bring up to actually install this program Autohockey, and start to use it, but now i wish to express the gratitude to pointing this program out!!!! I couldn't find such a thing somehow.... This is not only keys assignment, this is overall Windows routine scripter with a nough easy key assignment. Cool. (there's also the "Autoit" scripting program like that, and now i know about the Ѡikipedia entries ☻).