Feature Request: Support for key chords (for extending the currently available keyboard keys)

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Ralf_Reddings

Feature Request: Support for key chords (for extending the currently available keyboard keys)

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

Currently Everything allows you to assign Menu commands, Bookmarks, Filters etc etc to only standard keyboard shortcuts such as
f1
or
ctrl+alt+f1
. I think, for some of us, it will be common to run out of keyboard keys that we can assign commands to.

In my case, I try to avoid using two modifier layers such as
ctrl+alt+<key>
as I try to avoid straining my hand, which suffers from carpal tunnel, and certainly avoid the
ctrl+shift+alt+<key>
layer, for the same reason.

For this reason, I would like to ask, if we can get support for key chords in Everything? So, then it becomes possible to have key combinations such as
f1+a
f1+b
f1+c
f1+shift+a
etc etc.

Programmes like VsCode have key chords, simply due to the numerous commands the user is allowed to assign to a shortcut. On VsCode's Keyboard rules pages they describe key chords as:
>Chords (two separate keypress actions) are described by separating the two keypresses with a space. For example,
Ctrl+K Ctrl+C
Cheers!
void
Developer

Re: Feature Request: Support for key chords (for extending the currently available keyboard keys)

Post by void »

I will consider keyboard chords.

Thank you for the suggestion.

For now, please consider Autohotkey and either:

call Everything.exe with -command <id>

-or-

Send your Everything window a WM_COMMAND:
SendMessage, 0x111, <command-id>,,, ahk_class EVERYTHING

-command <id>
Command IDs
Ralf_Reddings

Re: Feature Request: Support for key chords (for extending the currently available keyboard keys)

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

Thats great to hear, I will look into these alternatives that you suggested as well, thanks.