Sorting by Folder Name issues

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Sorting by Folder Name issues

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

I have spotted that sorting by the Folder Name column has issues:
● it can be slow even for only a couple of thousands items
● it can hang on when processing hundreds of thousands of items to the point of becoming unresponsive so much that even Cancel Sort does not work
● items from offline sources show empty field [while at the same me showing e.g. indexed value for Length]

I am using Everything 1.5.0.1346a x64 Portable on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2
void
Developer

Re: Sorting by Folder Name issues

Post by void »

Please try the Everything Parent Name property instead.

Gathering the value for the Everything Parent Name property will be faster than the Windows Property System Folder Name property.

● it can hang on when processing hundreds of thousands of items to the point of becoming unresponsive so much that even Cancel Sort does not work
Please send a mini crash dump.

To create a mini crash dump for Everything: Privacy
therube

Post by therube »

Folder Name
To note, "Folder Name" is a Property (& different from Path).
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Parent Name seems to be working A-OK

But the overall issue with such workaround is that for a folder it shows [as it should] its parent folder - and so sorting all items by this pseudo-folder Column will not show this particular folder near files it is hosting; plus on top of that it will show near those files all first level sub-folders it has

So should I indulge in keep trying to use Folder Name?
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

What about sorting by Path or Parent Path?
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Sorting by Path is performed immediately. And I do use it on a daily basis

But unfortunately I [often] cannot use it instead of some folder name based order [depending on what I need to do]
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I am using now Everything 1.5.0.13635a x64 Portable with Column of

Path
Name
Display Name

Sorting by Path or Name is always instant

But sorting by Display Name is very slow and clearly slowing even more for the last 10% and coming to a halt at te 99% mark [as indicated by the Progress Bar]. And cancelling it by Cancel Sort sometimes works thus I regain control while sometimes it does not work and I can even see a blank solid white area in the main window that holds list of items while or whole window of Everything gets this transparent white sheet applied to it [indication of freeze-up courtesy of Windows]. But all of that is when I utilize a large amounts of items like [my all items which amount to] 1 8000 000 of them

Because up to 5 000 items sorting by Display Name makes me see around a second of Progress Bar- which does not show up if I re-sort the same set of items. And if for example I will perform a search for e.g. AA yielding 10 000 items and sort it by Display Name which will take me lets say ~5 seconds and then perform a search for BB yielding 25 000 items and sort it by Display Name which will take me lets say ~20 seconds and then perform a search for CC yielding 75 000 items and sort it by Display Name which will take me lets say ~40 seconds - and finally then and perform a search for AB BC yielding 100 000 items and sort it by Display Name then it will not take ~60 seconds but might be as quick as ~5 seconds, because apparently those searches / sort orders are kept by Everything and somehow added together to one big list which is then utilized during sorting of those items that have not yet been a part of previous sort processes. This speed up works until I close Everything, as a new instance apparently builds up from stretch a list for AB BC taking ~60 seconds to do it]
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I have attempted such full build-up by performing search and sort by Display Name of all 26 possibilities starting from literally AA and finishing at ZZ plus adding few common occurrences of letters like AB / BA or ON NO and AN - and then sorting all of my [1 800 000] items by Display Name. After Progress Bar reaching 99%, seeing my list of items as white area and then waiting for another ~4 minutes I finally managed to see the result. And from now on I could even search for e.g. just A which yielded over 1 500 000 items and have it in an instant sorted out by Display Name, despite it being new [because it apparently utilized already established sort order for all of the items]

And then I also made the ultimate test of opening fresh Everything and sorting out right all [1 800 000] items by Display Name. It took ~10 minutes to do the same i.e. give me back control over Everything and of sorted out items. But when I then searched for A and pressed the header of Display Name Column my Everything just closed itself, although leaving two entries of Everything.exe under the

Task Manager > Details > Name
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Well?
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I was curious about the details of this...
I have Display Name which for me is identical to Name (any exceptions?)
I don't have Folder Name to choose... can you explain with a hypothetical example how it/they differ in content from the nearest equivalent faster columns?
d
void
Developer

Post by void »

Shell extensions control the Display Name.

Any file can have a Display Name and it's not always the same as the filename.
A good example is a file in the Recycle Bin. -The Display Name is gathered from the contents of the $i... file on disk.

The Display Name needs to be gathered.
Gathering this information from some files can be really slow.

Reduce the number of results before sorting by Display Name.

In short, assume Everything has to go to disk for this information and the information is controlled by the OS.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

But if
void wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:19 pm [...]
The Display Name needs to be gathered.
Gathering this information from some files can be really slow.
[...]
then why Everything does not collect and then add / save them to the already utilized database? If it is a question of concern about users' resources, there should be a setting somewhere in Options that could be selected only by users who indeed use the Display Name, right?

Or is my logic somehow false?
void
Developer

Post by void »

To index display name:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Properties tab on the left.
  • Click Add....
  • Search for: display
  • Select Display Name and click OK.
  • Optionally check Fast sort if you want instant sorting by Display name. (requires an additional 8 bytes per file)
  • Click OK.
This will use a lot of resources. (my guess is about 32 bytes per file)
If you have the resources, go for it.