[Suggestion] Clean up Column context menu

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
NotNull

[Suggestion] Clean up Column context menu

Post by NotNull »

There are multiple ways to add columns to the result list. One of them is through the Add Columns entry of the column context menu (accessible through right-clicking the result list header or by using the NumPlus keyboard shortcut for example)
Another one is by accessing the most common properties in the lower end of that same context menu. These are organized in categories (Audio, Content, ..., Video)

My suggestion is to remove the latter ones. Reasoning:

The Add Columns entry is much more flexible. it lists all properties (instead of "just" the most common ones) and allows to select multiple properties at once. Don't know how others use it, but selecting multiple audio/video/picture properties at once seems like a big plus to me)
Selecting multiple properties requires multiple opening of the context menu when using the lower entries.
Furthermore, not all categories fit on the screen (at least here), making this even less convenient due to the need for scrolling.

In the early days of 1.5 the Add Columns entry was at the bottom, making the workflow: trying the common properties first and if not available, try Add Columns next.
These days Add Columns is at the top (much better, btw!) and the lower entries are never used (here).

I understand, for someone using version 1.5 for the first time, these lower entries may be an easy "gateway drug" for using Add columns, but I bet that if these entries are no longer available they will try Add Column instead. And if not: a little forum-assistance will help them in the right direction.

FWIW: To remove multiple columns, I bound 'NumMinus' to Resultlist | Organize columns.
Cursor down, pressing the Delete key (+OK) and columns are gone.
NumPlus and NumMinus together work quite intuitive and fast. Just sharing ...
void
Developer

Re: [Suggestion] Clean up Column context menu

Post by void »

I have on my TODO list to remove the Audio, Content, Document, ... Video submenus and replace them with:

Add Column Set...
Organize Column Sets...
-
Column Set 1
Column Set 2
Column Set 3

I might supply some default column presets, such as Audio/Video.

Furthermore, not all categories fit on the screen (at least here), making this even less convenient due to the need for scrolling.
Are you indexing many properties?
Indexed properties are also shown in the context menu.
I can see how this would make the list large..
I will consider showing these under a submenu.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Tip:
Opening Organize Columns and clicking Reset will use your Home -> Columns.
If Home -> Columns is not defined, the default Name, Path, Size and Date Modified columns are used.

I will add a UI command to reset columns where you can bind a keyboard shortcut in the next alpha update.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:58 am Are you indexing many properties?
Indexed properties are also shown in the context menu.
Currently 7 (see below), but non-indexed properties that are shown in the result list are also added to this context menu. (when working with audio files for example).
And "formula-columns" like Column-A and regmatch1 are added to this context menu too.

This can make the column context menu feel overpopulated.
Thanks for the tip!

( currently indexed properties: Alternate Data Stream Count, Alternate Data Stream Names, Hard Link Count, Hard Link Filenames, Container Filenames, Version,Length)
therube

Post by therube »

I'm apt to use the Add Columns..., figuring it is quicker (for me) to go there, & filter, to find my wanted Property rather then picking a particular category & seeing if my wanted Property is included therein.

That said, don't really care the the categorized lists (also) exist.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1372a cleans up the column context menu.

The column categories have been removed.

I have added a reset columns command.
You can bind a keyboard shortcut to this command under Tools -> Options -> Keyboard -> Result List | Reset Columns.
You can set your default columns under Home -> Columns.

Column sets are still on my TODO list..
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1373a removes the bottom separator from the content menu.

(I was indexing properties in all my 1372a tests..)