Omit Results

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Coldblackice

Re: Omit Results

Post by Coldblackice »

NotNull wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:26 am
Coldblackice wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:52 am there's some redundancy overlap with separate "Excludes" and "Omits" functions (if I'm understanding what you're saying) and it may be beneficial merging their functionalities.
There are similarities, which would make one think that the entries could be combined, with an Exclude/Omit radiobutton pair for each entry.
But the differences will make it confusing when combining the two. Does the Include only files refer to omitting- or excluding results? What can be imported?

Not sure, but I expect most people to configure the "Exclude" dialogs once when doing first time setup and never look at it again (my Exclude settings haven't changed in years).
From time to time someone on these forums would toggle some filetype like .lnk or some folder on/off under "Exclude", but now there is "Omit" for that.

"Omit" feels like a more dynamic activity. Probably because it is integrated in the GUI, instead of being 'tucked away' behind "Options".
And that is another difference between the two: static vs. dynamic entries. I would like them to stay apart.

2022-05-16 10_57_58-Window.png
Good point, and now that you mention it, I've had a similar experience, making sense for "Excludes" to be a more static/permanent/known-ahead function compared to the dynamic, accessible, and optionally temporary "Omits" (if I'm understanding correctly). I've been using the omits function more and more frequently, and really like how quickly and easily accessible it is.

The omit context-menu* actions are great, and even cooler is including the nested directory-tree, enabling a quick omitting of a higher up parent folder, which I'm frequently using on programs that I find are cache-writing to a cascade of folders at once.

Speaking of "Omits", would it be possible to add the option of setting keyboard shortcuts for directly accessing the "Organize Omits" panel, and also a shortcut to toggle "Enable Result Omissions"? I jump into that panel regularly, and also turn omits on/off at various times.

I searched the available keyboard shortcuts and found a number of shortcuts related to "Omits", but I didn't see any that appeared to do these functions (I'm not sure what the difference is between those shortcuts, and have been meaning to test them).

*Side note, including the "Search in Everything" context menu inside Everything is a great idea, I've been using that function in Explorer dozens of times a day, and now having it accessible via search results themselves is fantastic, bypassing the need to copy and paste paths of search results

EDIT:

Would it also be possible to add an "Omits" option under the "Home/Defaults" search settings section? Currently the only way I can get it to stick is by having the last remaining Everything Search window having the option, then new windows following that follow suit.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback Coldblackice,

To add a keyboard shortcut to show all result omissions:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Keyboard tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show commands containing, search for: omission
  • Select Indexes | Organize Result Omissions.
  • Click Add....
  • Press a new keyboard shortcut and click OK.
  • Click OK.
-or-

Hold down ALT and double click the OMIT RESULTS text in the status bar.

The "search in Everything" context menu item under the Parent Folders menu is just a functional place holder at the moment.
The plan is to add full context menu support (like you would see in Windows Explorer).

Would it also be possible to add an "Omits" option under the "Home/Defaults" search settings section?
I will consider a UI option to do this.
For now, there is a hidden home_omit_results ini setting.

To always enable result omissions for new windows:
  • Copy and paste the following into the Everything search box:
    /home_omit_results=1
  • Press ENTER in the Everything search box.
  • If successful, home_omit_results=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • where 1 is to specify the default value for new windows and 0 is to use the last value.
    To set the default value for result omissions:
    /omit_results=1
  • If successful, omit_results=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • where 1 is enabled and 0 is disabled.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Coldblackice

Post by Coldblackice »

void wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:39 am Thank you for your feedback Coldblackice,

To add a keyboard shortcut to show all result omissions:
  • Click the Keyboard tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show commands containing, search for: omission
  • Select Indexes | Organize Result Omissions.
  • Click Add....
  • Press a new keyboard shortcut and click OK.
  • Click OK.
Ah, I had been filtering for "Omit", that's why I didn't see it. Thanks!
-or-

Hold down ALT and double click the OMIT RESULTS text in the status bar.
Awesome tip! I also like the function of being able to double click in that corner for the Settings panel.
The "search in Everything" context menu item under the Parent Folders menu is just a functional place holder at the moment.
The plan is to add full context menu support (like you would see in Windows Explorer).
That would be FANTASTIC! Even better!
I will consider a UI option to do this.
For now, there is a hidden home_omit_results ini setting.

To always enable result omissions for new windows:
    /home_omit_results=1
  • If successful, home_omit_results=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • where 1 is to specify the default value for new windows and 0 is to use the last value.
    To set the default value for result omissions:
    /omit_results=1
  • If successful, omit_results=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • where 1 is enabled and 0 is disabled.
Good to know, thank you. Do you mind clarifying the difference between the two settings? Or rather, I get what the first setting does, but I'm not following what the latter setting is meant to do.
Thank you for your suggestions.
No problem. Can I make one more? :)

Regarding the context-menus, would it be possible to include add the omission as a filter (or the option to)? E.g., if I right-clicked a result with path "C:\first\second\third", clicking its context-menu "Omit" would pop an "Add Omit Result Filter" dialog prefilled with the path, in this case "\third" or "*\third*".

I'm frequently omitting cache folders that I discover from new programs, and which happen to be names used by other programs. Rather than a growing list of (lengthy) static-path of omissions and separate omissions sharing a common name, it'd be great having the ability to instead context-add these omissions as filters instead.

Currently, the way I go about this is adding the omission via context menu (a static path), then I have to open "Organize Omissions" and re-add it as a filter, either by manually typing out the path name(s), or right-clicking the freshly added static-path omission and doing either "Copy" or opening its Explorer folder location and then copying that path, pasting that into a new omit-filter dialog, and then finally deleting the initial static-path omission.

A sister-suggestion regarding this:

In "Organize Omissions", it'd be great having the ability to convert a static-path omission into a filter. For example, when right-clicking on a static-path omission, the "Add Filter" context action could instead bring up an Omit-filter dialog with that path prefilled. After editing, clicking "OK" would convert that static-path omission into a filter-omission, removing the static-path omission.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Coldblackice wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:03 pm Do you mind clarifying the difference between the two settings? Or rather, I get what the first setting does, but I'm not following what the latter setting is meant to do.
Compare it to a light-switch:
/home_omit_results=1 switches the light on whnever you enter the home (even if it was on before)
So when you press ALT-HOME, open a new window or start Everything for the first time: Omit Results will be "On"

/omit_results=1 switches the light on manually (= switches Omit Results "On")

The distinction is useful because each Everything window can have it's own Omit Results setting:
2022-06-24 17_48_36-_new 1 - Notepad++.png
2022-06-24 17_48_36-_new 1 - Notepad++.png (20.33 KiB) Viewed 15753 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback Coldblackice,
Good to know, thank you. Do you mind clarifying the difference between the two settings? Or rather, I get what the first setting does, but I'm not following what the latter setting is meant to do.
home_omit_results only has two states:
0 = (Use last value specified by omit_results)
1 = (Use the default value specified by omit_results and lock omit_results)

What home_omit_results is doing internally is when set to 1 it prevents any changes to omit_results.
This makes omit_results read-only, so you default value sticks.

You need to set both home_omit_results=1 and omit_results=1
This will lock omit_results and set omit_results to on.

No problem. Can I make one more?
Yes, please.

Regarding the context-menus, would it be possible to include add the omission as a filter (or the option to)? E.g., if I right-clicked a result with path "C:\first\second\third", clicking its context-menu "Omit" would pop an "Add Omit Result Filter" dialog prefilled with the path, in this case "\third" or "*\third*".
I will consider an add omit result filter in the context menu.
For now, you will need to hit Index -> Add Omit Result Filter..
or, bind a keyboard shortcut to this command.

Use Ctrl + Shift + C to copy a full path in Everything.
I'll look into support for pasting files/folders into the filter box to set the path.

You can copy the selection in Organize Result Omissions as text.
Ctrl + C will copy the selection as TAB delimited text.
Text can be pasted in Notepad.

The text will look something like:

Code: Select all

"C:\Windows"	1	132980034629634372	0
The columns are: path, type, date-added and disabled

Types can be one of the following:
1 = Folder filename.
2 = File filename.
3 = Folder and file filter.
4 = Folder filter.
5 = File filter.

You could change these manually in Notepad and paste them back in Organize Result Omissions.

I have put on my TODO list to add support for changing the type from the UI.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Coldblackice

Post by Coldblackice »

NotNull wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:52 pm Compare it to a light-switch:
/home_omit_results=1 switches the light on whnever you enter the home (even if it was on before)
So when you press ALT-HOME, open a new window or start Everything for the first time: Omit Results will be "On"

/omit_results=1 switches the light on manually (= switches Omit Results "On")

The distinction is useful because each Everything window can have it's own Omit Results setting:
void wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:37 pm home_omit_results only has two states:
0 = (Use last value specified by omit_results)
1 = (Use the default value specified by omit_results and lock omit_results)

What home_omit_results is doing internally is when set to 1 it prevents any changes to omit_results.
This makes omit_results read-only, so you default value sticks.

You need to set both home_omit_results=1 and omit_results=1
This will lock omit_results and set omit_results to on.
I will consider a add omit result filter in the context menu.
For now, you will need to hit Index -> Add Omit Result Filter..
or, bind a keyboard shortcut to this command.

Use Ctrl + Shift + C to copy a full path in Everything.
I'll look into support for pasting files/folders into the filter box to set the path.

I have put on my TODO list to add support for changing the type from the UI.

Awesome, thanks both of you for the clarification + tips! And for considering the suggestions, too!
David.P

Post by David.P »

Hello all,
void wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:18 am To add all recycle bin folders to your result omissions:
  • In Everything, from the Index menu, click Organize result omissions....
  • Click Add Filter....
  • Check Omit folders.
  • Change the filter to:
    ?:\$recycle.bin
  • Click OK.
Omitting the trash folders doesn't seem to work for me:

Am I doing something wrong?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

For me, it works when added as a Filter instead of a Folder:
2023-03-21 21_24_31-Organize Result Omissions - Everything (1.5a).png
2023-03-21 21_24_31-Organize Result Omissions - Everything (1.5a).png (39.49 KiB) Viewed 14329 times
David.P

Post by David.P »

Phew, Folder Filter vs. Folder Filename 🤔
Tough stuff, but I shall try this asap, thanks.
David.P

Post by David.P »

It worked!

I wonder what the difference is between "Folder Filter" and "Folder Filename" 🤷🏼‍♂️
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Folder filenames are for literal paths: a path you can browse to.
Folder filters are for patterns (wildcards/regex/ ... )

At least: that is the way I see it.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Hmmm...

I now was going to add a folder path (pattern) to the "Omit Results" filter.

So I added the following string to both "Folder Filter" and "Folder Filename".

*\Some\Folder\Path\*

However, search results from this folder are still shown.

What am I doing wrong?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try the following folder filter:

Some\Folder\Path\**

* = match any character (except \) any number of times.
** = match any character any number of times.

*\Some\Folder\Path\* would only exclude folders directly in C:\Some\Folder\Path
David.P

Post by David.P »

This seems to work only with absolute paths?
I would like to exclude all folders whose path contains the string
Some\Folder\Path
(just in case).
David.P

Post by David.P »

Ahh, I added
**Some\Folder\Path**

That seems to work
Last edited by David.P on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

This seems to work only with absolute paths?
You don't need to specify an absolute path.

Some\Folder\Path\** will match any subpath starting with Some\Folder\Path\...
for example:
C:\Some\Folder\Path\...
C:\a-subfolder\Some\Folder\Path\...

Setting the filter to:
**\Some\Folder\Path\**
will give similar results.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Hmm but why didn't
Some\Folder\Path\**
work?
void
Developer

Post by void »

What version of Everything are you using?

There was a bug in 1338 and earlier that prevented Some\Folder\Path\** from matching subpaths correctly.
David.P

Post by David.P »

OK that should be it. I was on
1.5.0.1333a (x64)

Thank you!
David.P

Post by David.P »

One quick follow-up question please: if I'd only want to exclude the contents of folders with the path
**\Some\Folder\Path\**
, but still would like the folder(s) to be found: is there an Omit Results filter syntax that allows this?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

- Menu:Index > Organize Result Omissions
- Add Filter
- Filter = **\Some\Folder\Path\**
- Select Omit Files
- OK
- OK
David.P

Post by David.P »

Perfect! Thanks very much 😃
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1341a will now correct the type when pasting/editing a filter/filename.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Stamimail wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:21 am "Temporary Excludes" is intended for omission/exclusion for a longer period.
Speaking of confusion ... (I am only partway through this Topic) a "longer period" suggests "permanent" to my mind. "temporary" means "a shorter period"
Cheers, chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:18 am Everything 1.5 adds the option to omit results.
Omitted files/folders are hidden from your search results.
Everything will continue to monitor changes to omitted files/folders.
Hi everyone! My head is spinning. I think that this is the most convoluted topic i have come across to date.

I work in DOCuuments, so my first (and so far only) foray into Omissions was to omit a single tilde-file from my Result List.
MenuSystem_31.png
MenuSystem_31.png (66.93 KiB) Viewed 13788 times
My little test worked Just Fine thanks.
To me it makes sense to omit tilde-files from results because over the past N years I have never used a tilde-file.
Of course, if your workload is in, say, QuattroPro spreadsheets, you probably don't worry about tilde-files.

Well, I finished working on my MSWord document "MenuSystem.doc", exited Everything, exited MSWord, and MSWord removed the offending tilde file. So far so good.
MenuSystem_34.png
MenuSystem_34.png (22.98 KiB) Viewed 13788 times
But when I reload Everything that tilde-file remains sitting there in the Organize Result Omissions.

I was going to ask about being able to use a mask "~*.*" to omit forevermore the (to me) useless files, but I suspect that the answer will be Tools, Options, Indexes, Exclude, Add filter.
MenuSystem_35.png
MenuSystem_35.png (44.58 KiB) Viewed 13788 times
But it seems that I have misunderstood that, too. (I haven't played with Excludes yet)

I don't know whether these two issues (Omissions list appears to be permanent, and my Exclude Filter appears not to work), but I thought I would mention it.

I will re-study the topic, which had its first birthday just two days ago, so there is a year's worth of ideas in the topic and, I see, a year's worth of enhancements to Everything 1.5a
Cheers, Chris.

Cheers, Chris
froggie

Post by froggie »

Excludes remove entries from the database.

Omits leaves the database alone, but does not display the omitted items - The omit list itself stays until you change it.

Temporarily Omit item(s) by right clicking for the context menu - these items go away with a new search.
void
Developer

Post by void »

You added the ~*.* filter to folders, which will only exclude folders.

To exclude files:
  • Click the Exclude tab on the left.
  • Remove the ~*.* filter from folders.
  • Change Exclude files to:
    ~*.*
  • Click OK.

or better yet, remove the ~*.* folder filter and add a ~*.* omit file filter:
  • In Everything, from the Index menu, click Organize Result Omissions.
  • Click Add filter....
  • Change the filter to:
    ~*.*
  • Check Omit files.
  • Click OK.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:25 pm You added the ~*.* filter to folders, which will only exclude folders.
Thank you Void.
I think I got myself confused because i had been thinking of/working on Folders as I went in to this exercise.
Switching from Folders to Files when using a file mask sure does make sense! :blush:
(All this because I'd not looked at Index, "Enable Result Omissions" before, and got curious. Again.)
Cheers, Chris
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1355a improves temporarily omit:

Omit Results no longer needs to be enabled to temporarily omit results.

To temporarily omit a result:
  • Select the results you wish to temporarily omit.
  • Hold down Shift and right-click the selection.
    (Shift only needs to be held down if Omit Results is disabled)
  • Click Temporarily omit.
Files and subfolders in a folder are also omitted.

To set a keyboard shortcut to temporarily omit a result:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    temp
  • Select File | Temporarily Omit.
  • Click Add....
  • Press a new keyboard shortcut (for example: backspace) and click OK.
  • Click OK.

To temporarily omit a parent folder:
  • Select a result whose parent you wish to temporarily omit.
  • Hold down Shift and right-click the selection.
  • Under the parent folder submenu, click Temporarily omit.

To clear temporarily omitted results:
  • Double click the TEMP OMIT text in the status bar on the right.
    -or-
  • Close and reopen the Everything search window.
therube

Post by therube »

(I've read very little of this thread...)

Omit Results no longer needs to be enabled to temporarily omit results.

To temporarily omit a result:

Select the results you wish to temporarily omit.
Hold down Shift and right-click the selection.
(Shift only needs to be held down if Omit Results is disabled)
Click Temporarily omit.
What is the difference between having Omit Results enabled, & temporarily omitting a file,
& not having Omit Results enabled, & temporarily omitting a file?

Is it just the "other features" that are available if Omit Results is actually enabled; add filter & add to the exclude list?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

therube wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:38 pm What is the difference between having Omit Results enabled, & temporarily omitting a file,
& not having Omit Results enabled, & temporarily omitting a file?
In 1354 and below, Omit Results needed to be enabled to "unlock" the Temporary Omit feature
In 1355 the two can be toggled independent of each other.
void
Developer

Post by void »

There will likely be changes here.

There's one thing that needs addressing:

User can enable Omit Results, temporarily omit a result, then disable Omit results.

Temporarily omitted results will stay omitted.
The user will most likely expect temporarily omitted results to be disabled too.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I don't think so. (These are two different features. Leave it as it is now.)

Enable\disable Omit Results is something that user does monthly.
Temporarily omit is something that user does daily.

The scenario you are talking about is very far, but if we try to address it:
The user searching for a folder.
The user want selectively list of files from that folder, so he begins to drop each item he doesn't want in the finally list.
Then the user remembers that .lnk files are excluded from Results (entered quarantine in "Result Omissions"), so the user disable Result Omissions to get the .lnk files of that folder, and then the user keep dropping items till he get his finally selectively list.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:24 am Enable\disable Omit Results is something that user does monthly.
Temporarily omit is something that user does daily.
Don't pose these assumptions as facts as that is incorrect (does not correspond with how I use Everything for example).
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

You can replace it with: "long period" versus "short period".

We need more time and scenarios to examine how the users use these two features.
When the time comes, do a survey... :D
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:17 pm You can replace it with: "long period" versus "short period".
Yeah, I understood that. The point I was trying to make is that I use OMIT many times more than TEMP OMIT
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

2 options:

(1) Stamimail (me) doesn't fully understand the benefits of Omit.
I tend to think that some of the same tasks that were done until now by Filters have been migrated to be done by Omit.
I don't use either Filters or Omit on a daily basis.
If you want, go ahead, start a new thread and tell us how to use Omit for common tasks. What makes you use this feature on a daily basis.

(2) NotNull (you) doesn't fully understand the benefits of Temporarily Omit.

Here are a few reasons:

The original idea of Temporarily Omit has not yet been fully implemented.

Imagine if such keyboard shortcuts were available to you when the results list pane is in focus:

Backspace = Temporarily Omit Item Only (Not yet implemented for a folder item)
Ctrl+Backspace = Temporarily Omit Whole Folder
Ctrl+Shift+Backspace = Temporarily Omit Whole Parent Folder
Alt+Backspace = Temporarily Omit Extension (Bug: when apply on folders, should omit all folders)
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Backspace = Cancel Temporarily Omit (Not yet implemented)

It brings with it the capabilities of Everything File List Editor to the Results list pane (and even more).

It can help you, for example, to find a file when you don't remember the name of the file.

Another reason that can be counted is the fact that NotNull is an experienced user. He knows how to do his tasks quickly using only the search bar.
The more experienced user you are, the less you will need for Temporarily Omit.

I guess the most common task for a new user to encounter Temporarily Omit, is when he tries to search for a folder
C:\folder
and he wants to remove only the folder item itself from the results.
NotNull already knows about the trailing \
C:\folder\
but I guess that for a new user Temporarily Omit will be the first attempt.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:49 pm I tend to think that some of the same tasks that were done until now by Filters have been migrated to be done by Omit.
In my view, Omit is positioned between Filters and Exclude. More like Exclude than Filters.
Omit is more dynamic than Exclude as it does not require a rebuild of the database.

So I Omit more than I Exclude, just because of Omit can be easily configured and switched off.
This gives me a "clean" list of results, so I can focus on the files I need without 'noise', giving me (very) quick results for daily use.

For personal use, I would probably not need to toggle Omit a lot. However, when trying to help people on these forums, I need to switch off Omit quite regularly to be able to help people by reproducing posted issues and finding a solution.

Stamimail wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:49 pm (2) NotNull (you) doesn't fully understand the benefits of Temporarily Omit.
Maybe. However this suggests otherwise.

Stamimail wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:49 pm t brings with it the capabilities of Everything File List Editor to the Results list pane
You mentioned this a couple of times when talking about Temporary Omit. Each time it was explained the two are not interchangeable. It's time to accept it ...

If anything, an Organize Temporary Omissions -- similar to Organize Result Omissions -- would be more fitting.
therube

Post by therube »

User can enable Omit Results, temporarily omit a result, then disable Omit results.

Temporarily omitted results will stay omitted.
The user will most likely expect temporarily omitted results to be disabled too.
Explain?
I'm not understanding the distinction?

I can enable Omit, Temporarily Omit, then double-click TEMP OMIT to clear the Temporarily Omits.

I can not enable Omit, Shift+Temporarily Omit, then double-click TEMP OMIT to clear the Temporarily Omits.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I can enable Omit, Temporarily Omit, then double-click TEMP OMIT to clear the Temporarily Omits.
@therube
Please compare carefully:
-> User can enable Omit Results, temporarily omit a result, then disable Omit results.
-> I can enable Omit, Temporarily Omit, then double-click TEMP OMIT to clear the Temporarily Omits.

You should:
-> I can enable Omit, Temporarily Omit, then double-click TEMP OMIT to clear the Temporarily Omits.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

NotNull wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:04 pmMaybe. However this suggests otherwise.
I'm not that familiar with ProcMon. According to what you wrote, it seems to be similar to the same problem but less similar to the same solution.
It brings with it the capabilities of Everything File List Editor to the Results list pane (and even more).
You mentioned this a couple of times when talking about Temporary Omit. Each time it was explained the two are not interchangeable. It's time to accept it ...
It was not well explained to me, why the File List Editor cannot be embedded in Everything.
I'm talking about the Result pane always stays dynamic and live updating.
When you Temporarily Omit, (behind the scene) is like you open a special file list in File List Editor and drag the omissions from Results pane to a static list of omissions.

(btw, in the File List Editor you can execute items in the file list. I suggest to compare the static file list to .db or MFT and to color (in red or gray for example) every broken item.)

If anything, an Organize Temporary Omissions -- similar to Organize Result Omissions -- would be more fitting.
Look at 3.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Clarification for Temporarily Omit:

Suppose the user makes a Temporarily Omit in his downloads folder.
He searches in Everything
"C:\downloads"
and he gets in the result list:

abc.pdf
def.pdf
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

he selects
001.jpg
and does Temporarily Omit Extension
and he gets in the result list:

abc.pdf
def.pdf

Now, later, new downloads of .jpg files go into the downloads folder.
What should the result list look like?
Like this:

abc.pdf
def.pdf
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg

If user doesn't want for the incoming .jpg files to be in result list, he needs to do it explicitly by search bar ("C:\downloads" !ext:jpg)

----------------------------
Conclusion:
Temporarily Omit feature is different from Omit (or rather, should be).
While Omit behaves like shortcuts to Add items to a general Everything filter,
in contrast Temporarily Omit behaves like shortcuts to Add items to a file list to exclude.

(by the way, you can make it possible to save this file list of Temporarily Omit. So that Temporarily Omit can be used also as convenient shortcuts to make file list, instead of dragging)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently, Temporarily omit extension applies to all current and future files.

The user could select the existing jpg files and click temp omit if they wanted future jpg files to show.
Jakov93

Re: Omit Results: Adding Exclude this Path From Search to Right Click Context Menu

Post by Jakov93 »

Hi,
Thanks for this great feature
Additionally, I suggest adding the option of "Exclude this Path From Search" to the Right Click Context Menu
because sometimes the results and paths are many and may be the same path, so without selecting each one individually, without using Shift mode, and without going to the Organizer window to add each folder separately, the option that I talk about will exclude the results from the excluded path, look here
Here, the folder or folders are not in continuous arranging mode, because the files are arranged by name column or any other column,
so without arranging files by path column, in order to select a folder or folders by Shift mode, my option will exclude the folder or folders wherever located in the results window regarding which column is used for file sorting.
I hope to add this option.
Thanks
Best Regards
void
Developer

Post by void »

Additionally, I suggest adding the option of "Exclude this Path From Search" to the Right Click Context Menu
I will consider an option to exclude this path from the search.

For now, please consider holding down Shift and right-clicking under the path column.
Open the parent folder submenu (it will have a folder icon)
Navigate to the ancestor folder you wish to exclude and click Temporarily Omit.

You don't need to hold shift if you enable Omit results from the Index menu.

I'm not sure if you asking for this..
To mix files and folders:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the View menu, under the Sort by Submenu, check Mix files and folders.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1372a separates result omissions and temporary result omissions.

Either can now be toggled from the Index menu.

Temporary omitted results are normally cleared when you close your Everything search window/tab.

To clear temporary result omissions when changing the search:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    temp
  • Select: temp_omit_results_clear_on_search
  • Set the value to: true
  • Click OK.

The result omission list can now be referenced in your search with result-omissions:
The temporarily result omission list can now be referenced in your search with temp-result-omissions: