Color of column

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
kazzybash

Color of column

Post by kazzybash »

Hi, on the forum I saw this image and I was wondering if it is possible to set the color of a sole column like the yellow colored one in the picture (possibly it was edited afterwards?). If it is possible, then how?
IMG_0162.png
IMG_0162.png (118.05 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Thanks, regards, kazzy
void
Developer

Re: Color of column

Post by void »

Everything doesn't have an option to set a column color yet.

I used a custom highlighting color for this image.

You can set the highlight color under Tools -> Options -> Fonts and colors -> Item=Result List -> Highlighted -> Foreground color -> Yellow.

The whole column is highlighted because of the
c:\windows\media;c:\backup\
in the search.

Would a property_color advanced setting be useful, where you can set the color of each column?
kazzybash

Post by kazzybash »

hello David, thanks a lot for your explanation!

With regard to your question: to me it would be meaningful to have this option.

For instance: I use the 3-date columns (created, modified, accessed) and I would be interested in giving two or three of them their own color. I feel that in general the option would help to further enhance the usefulness of the Everything-interface.

Kind regards, kazzy
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

For me, the more varied colour options the better - humans tend to be very colour-orientated.

I think a column stylisation setter could be added to the Add Columns type dialog (also available with Edit from Organise Columns). Presumably Everything could just save the resulting non-defaults to an option string in the advanced options that could also be edited manually.
Under Options - "Fonts and colours" there could then be a helpful button to launch that Column Organiser to edit the colours.

d
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1372a adds basic support for customizing the column text color.

To set the column text color:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    column
  • Select: column_colors
  • Set the value to a json array of color objects.
    For example, set the Size column text color to Cyan and the Date Modified column text color to Magenta:

Code: Select all

[{"name":"size","foreground_color":"#00ffff","dark_foreground_color":"#00ffff"},{"name":"dm","foreground_color":"#ff00ff","dark_foreground_color":"#ff00ff"}]

name should match the column name. (or property canonical name or alias)
    Use foreground_color for the standard theme and dark_foreground_color for the dark theme.
    The color format is: #RRGGBB where RR is the Red value in hex, GG is the Green value in hex and BB is the Blue value in hex.
  • Click OK.
kazzybash

Post by kazzybash »

hi David, thanks a lot for implementing and this message! Trying to make it work.

Let's take the image on the top of this thread as an example.

Name of the column is 'path'. color is yellow (I take this yellow: #ffff00), mode is (or appears to be) dark.

That would result in:

[{"Path":"size","dark_foreground_color":"#ffff00"},"Path":"dm","dark_foreground_color":"#ffff00"}]

I must be doing something (quite) wrong here :mrgreen: . If I enter this line in my 72a dark mode Everything it does not yet produce the result of the path column being yellow.

kind regards, Kazzy
therube

Post by therube »

Is "name", literal?

So this would color size & dm:

Code: Select all

[{"name":"size","foreground_color":"#00fff0"},{"name":"dm","foreground_color":"#00ff00"}]
(Just using foreground, removed the dark_, & changed the colors too.)

(Not my cup of tea, btw.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

[{"Path":"size","dark_foreground_color":"#ffff00"},"Path":"dm","dark_foreground_color":"#ffff00"}]
This is missing the name identifier.

To set the Path column text color to Yellow, please try:

[{"name":"Path","dark_foreground_color":"#ffff00"}]
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

meteorquake wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:41 pm For me, the more varied colour options the better - humans tend to be very colour-orientated.
[...]
I have just collected a bunch of ideas for expanding this aspect of Everything: viewtopic.php?t=14910
kazzybash

Post by kazzybash »

void wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 am
This is missing the name identifier.

To set the Path column text color to Yellow, please try:

[{"name":"Path","dark_foreground_color":"#ffff00"}]
Works like a charm!! Thanks David!