Columns widths are messed up after updating

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Columns widths are messed up after updating

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

I am using Everything 1.5.0.1363a x64 Portable. If I replace the EXE file with that from any newer version [up to 1366a] my Columns get their widths excessively widened

I tested downgrading: the same INI files when utilized through version 1359a seem to keep widths chosen by me

I am running on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64
void
Developer

Re: Columns widths are messed up after updating

Post by void »

Everything now stores the column widths in logical (scalable) pixels.

More information here.

Please re-adjust your column widths in the newer version.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

In version 1366a my Columns apparently get slight changes after re-opening of it: I make them as narrow as possible in order to save horizontal space, but after closing and opening of program data in them which was shown fully is now truncated - e.g. Date Modified and Length have

Code: Select all

indicator at their right side. And thus I am forced to widen them in order to see all the info - but [apparently] if I do not widen them enough, they once again will be showing truncated data

I thought that I was simply no longer able to use the trick of first double left click on the right edge of the header of an Column in order to make them automatically adjusted followed by a precise by hand move by ~2-3 pixels to the left; trick that I use in every program with columns, like for example Mp3tag, for the purpose of saving precious space on a single screen. But no, the case is more complicated / annoying: I fix column A and B but after re-opening Column C is truncated - so I fix C, but then D and B get messed up. And on top of that at some zoom levels some Columns become truncated as I zoom in and out

So my question would be: why change something that was working A-OK into something that needs constant manual corrections from the user? Or was it? The link you provided is about discussing a bug related to zooming- but I myself had zero glitch issues with zooming feature and I never had to adjust my Columns [unless I wanted to really change their widths]. So should my question rather be: has one bug just been fixed but another inadvertently added?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:05 am So my question would be: why change something that was working A-OK into something that needs constant manual corrections from the user? Or was it? The link you provided is about discussing a bug related to zooming- but I myself had zero glitch issues with zooming feature and I never had to adjust my Columns [unless I wanted to really change their widths]. So should my question rather be: has one bug just been fixed but another inadvertently added?
You are running an Alpha version.
It's normal to have changes which requires work from users, or even remove features.
Things which are running fine for you may not ok for the rest of us or need enhancements.
What's the real problem adjusting your column layout ?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try 1366a-mod1 mentioned here for a fix.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

That mod1 version seems to be holding up my widths - at the cost of not being able on most zoom levels to display entire data of a precisely adjusted Column that is A-OK at 100% zoom. Previously it was like just 2-3 levels that could not cope with maintaning a proper width

But I think I should also present the context: I am using Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64 with

Menu Start > Settings > Ease Of Access > Display > Make everything bigger > Change the size of apps and text on the main display > 150%

and

Menu Start > Settings > Ease of Access > Display > Make Text Bigger > 110%

settings
Thy Grand Voidinesss

This issue of Columns not being able to fit in them all of the presented data when zooming in and out persists in version 1.5.0.1371a x64 Portable. At 100% I see all I want but above or below that default zoom i often get truncated data
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything will not "size your columns" to fit on zooming.

Consider Using Ctrl + Shift + mousewheel to zoom and then Ctrl + Shift + NumPad+ to size columns to fit the window.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

For me
CTRL
+
SHIFT
+
MOUSEWHEEL UP
/
MOUSEWHEEL DOWN
apparently puts in the box od Search Edit entries from my custom made Bookmarks. Plus having to perform 2 combinations of keyboard-mouse strikes is inconvenient

And on the other hand I can reluctantly widen some of my columns by 2-4 pixels. It is a lost of precocious horizontal space but nevertheless it is easy to implement and so far it holds up

So that is that: I choose the latter - i.e. a very small shrinking of amount of data I can see on one screen