Is there any way to open a path in a new folder?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Jezrak

Is there any way to open a path in a new folder?

Post by Jezrak »

I'm a big fan of Everything, have been using it for years. Its saved me from the terrible Windows search, I'm still in shock that Windows search is that bad. I recommend Everything to everyone, every chance I get.

But I've gotten so annoyed with this I just had to create an account to try and find a solution. Because I'm at the point where I might have to seek alternatives because this is becoming a major inconvenience.

Is there any way to make it so the 'Open Path' option creates a new folder for the file path?

Currently, with default options at least, if the folder where the file is located is already opened, it moves you out of place from where you were at in the folder to take you to the new file.

This is extremely annoying for me because I'm oftentimes looking through several different files, sorting and tagging files, editing videos, etc and I don't want to lose my place in a folder of thousands of files if I decide to take a break from a previous task and work on something else or look up a different file in the same folder.

Or maybe I'm looking through different files, videos, making some space getting rid of useless/no longer needed videos then if I take a pause from that and later look up a file in the same folder and use 'Open Path', I've now lost my place in the folder which is infuriating after a while.

Sure for some the way the 'Open Path' option works by default can be convenient to save from opening a lot of folders but for heavy multitaskers like myself, constantly working on multiple different files and folders at once, a new folder is what I need, not forcing me to lose my place in a folder of thousands of files.

If this isn't currently an option or feature please add it to 1.5. I like that dark mode option planned for 1.5 by the way, as someone who deals with constant headaches and needs to limit the flashbangs from the bright white webpages and app/folder backgrounds.
NotNull

Re: Is there any way to open a path in a new folder?

Post by NotNull »

The Explore Path context menu entry should do that for you.
This entry is not shown by default. It can be activated as follows:

- Go to Mneu => Tools => Options => General => Context Menu
- From the Context Menu Items list, select Explore Path
- Set Settings for Explore Path context menu item to Show this item
- OK.

Alternatively, you can copy the command of Explore Path to the command of Open Path to make Open Path behave the same as Explore Path.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

You can also just drag the folder into the free space of the tab bar and it will open it as a new tab. That finds the folder by filling the search bar.

However if you have a tab open for such things you can drag the folder over the tab so it focuses and then drop the folder on the title "Folders" of the folders bar so that it explores there.

I imagine it would be easy to assign a shortcut key to the task avoiding menus and draggings altogether, for example set a Custom Command to a script that launches the chosen item with -new-tab in the command line -- perhaps someone can suggest an easier way.

Different methods are useful at different moments.
Jezrak

Post by Jezrak »

NotNull wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:06 am The Explore Path context menu entry should do that for you.
This entry is not shown by default. It can be activated as follows:

- Go to Mneu => Tools => Options => General => Context Menu
- From the Context Menu Items list, select Explore Path
- Set Settings for Explore Path context menu item to Show this item
- OK.

Alternatively, you can copy the command of Explore Path to the command of Open Path to make Open Path behave the same as Explore Path.
Exactly what I needed, it works well. And another reminder to me to continue to explore the many useful options of Everything, just had no idea where this option was after looking around.

Thank you brother, have a great weekend and thank you for being so active on here helping people out, you solved my problem in less than 24 hours. Definitely owe you guys a donation.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

:thumbsup: You're welcome!
And I think @void will really appreciate your donation!
(I "just" get a feel-good moment when someone appreciates the help given, just like you just did. Thank you for that! Enjoy your weekend too :D)

If you ever get lost in the many options Everything has: the forum members are here to help you on the right track.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback and support.