Idea: UserDefined Taglist-Synonyms list

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
eswul62

Idea: UserDefined Taglist-Synonyms list

Post by eswul62 »

Up front: am not sure whether the following idea is workable.
It is an *IDEA* only.
It is about an option to create a kind of 'user defined dictionary' of synonyms.
Or some kind of 'Tag List', or 'Keyword List'.

When searching for 'this word', then Everything will also search for 'that word', being (more or less) a synonym and found in a user defined list.

Example: when I search for 'wedding', then Everything will check the 'UserDictionary', or user 'Tag List' or 'Keyword List' saying that Everything should also search for the word 'marriage' or 'wedded' or 'married'.

Probably there are (very big) ready made lists of synonyms available somewhere, I don't know, but when a user defines/creates his own list, it'll probably be limited to a few dozen entries.

Currently, my workaround, in case of the above example (wedding-marriage), is that I need to add those words to the file name itself.
So it would be something like: Marriage-he and she-wedding-married on ... blah blah

So, the user dictionary or tag list would include an entry reading: wedded, married, marriage, wedding
When searching for: wedd
Everything will also show files with marriage

Again, it is an idea only. Maybe it is technically wayyy too complex.

Don't know if ISpellChecker can be of help here.
void
Developer

Re: Idea: UserDefined Taglist-Synonyms list

Post by void »

Synonym lists are on my TODO list.

Thank you for the suggestions.
nikov

Re: Idea: UserDefined Taglist-Synonyms list

Post by nikov »

Searching in the forum it seems this comes every now and then.
Thus, this can be implemented just as a basic synonym list replacer and spellchecker which can be slow but it is fine as an alpha; other additions and optimizations such as speed, highlighting, hints, etc can be added/optimized later as well.

Thank you.