Aliased folders

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Jose Hidalgo

Aliased folders

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

Hi everybody,

I have a French Windows 11 version.
My "Downloads" folder (%username%\Downloads) is of course localized. Its French name is "Téléchargements".
However, I can't find it with Everything Search by typing "Téléchargements". I have to type "Downloads" which is not convenient.

Same issue occurs with all other "aliased" folders : Pictures (Images), Music (Musique)...

Is there a way around this? :oops: If not, here's a feature request: could Everything Search allow to define our own aliases for those localized folders? So that when we type "Téléchargements" the "Downloads" folder also shows in the results, etc, etc. You get the idea.

Thanks for your insights! :)
void
Developer

Re: Aliased folders

Post by void »

Everything will show your files as they are on disk.

Windows is pulling the localized name from:
%USERPROFILE%\Downloads\Desktop.ini -> LocalizedResourceName

Please consider the following filter:
  • From the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: Téléchargements
  • Change the Search to: C:\Users\yourusername\downloads\
  • Change the Macro to: téléchargements
    (use a shorter macro if desired)
  • Click OK.
Searching for:
téléchargements:
is now replaced with:
C:\Users\yourusername\downloads\

Filters can be activated from the Search menu, Filter bar (View -> Filters), right clicking the status bar, filter macro or filter keyboard shortcut.

Please consider removing this localized name and creating a downloads folder physically called: Téléchargements
(not recommended)

From the Start menu, search for: notepad
Open Notepad.
In Notepad, from the File menu, click Open.
Type in the following and press ENTER:
%USERPROFILE%\Downloads\Desktop.ini
Add a # in front of the LocalizedResourceName line.
For example, change:
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12345
to:
#LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12345
Save changes and exit Notepad.

Changes are not updated until you restart Windows Explorer.
Exit Windows Explorer and restart a Windows Explorer.

Your downloads folder should now be shown as: Downloads

Create a new folder under %USERPROFILE% called:
Téléchargements

Right click your Downloads folder and click properties.
Click the Location tab.
Click Move.
Change the destination to:
%USERPROFILE%\Téléchargements
Click Select folder
Click OK.
Click Yes to move all files from the old location to the new location.

Do the same for My Documents, Pictures and Music.
Jose Hidalgo

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

Thanks @void for such a great reply! :D And BTW, congratulations on an amazing piece of software. A must-have, really. :)

So instead of filtering, your suggestion would be to remove all localized names by commenting all the relevant Desktop.ini files, right?
That means that I'd end up two physical folders for the same use: Downloads & Téléchargements, Pictures & Images, etc.
I may be wrong, but that doesn't look "ideal" at first sight. :?
So why would it be best to do it that way, instead of just creating filters with Everything Search?

Just trying to understand here :oops:
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@void described 2 methods:
1. Make a change in Windows, to show "Downloads" instead of "Telechargement" in Explorer. This way there is no ambiguity: The folder is called Downloads and you should search for Downloads.

2. Make a change in Everything so you can search for telechargement (using a filter) and find the download folder.
(BTW: I would use shell:downloads\ instead of C:\Users\yourusername\downloads\

These are 2 different options, not meant to be used together.. One of them might suit your need better than the other.
Jose Hidalgo

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

Yes, he described two methods. But he also said this:
Please consider removing this localized name and creating a downloads folder physically called: Téléchargements
Which seemed to imply that the second method was to be privileged, for reasons that I don't understand yet.
Hence my message and my question, which remains unanswered.

My problem with the first method is that I always use a custom "Folders, Apps & Shortcuts" filter which is as follows:

Code: Select all

folder: | ext:exe;lnk
I don't want to change that filter every time I want to look for the "Téléchargements" folder. Is there a way around that?

Thank you.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

NotNull wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:34 pm 1. Make a change in Windows, to show "Downloads" instead of "Telechargement" in Explorer. This way there is no ambiguity: The folder is called Downloads and you should search for Downloads.
I see I misread void's reply. It should say:
1. Make a change in Windows, to show "Telechargement" in Explorer as well as in Everything. This way there is no ambiguity: The "downloads" folder is called Telechargement and you should search for Telechargement.

Jose Hidalgo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:27 pm That means that I'd end up two physical folders for the same use: Downloads & Téléchargements
No Downloads folder anymore; only the Téléchargements folder after following these steps.
Jose Hidalgo

Post by Jose Hidalgo »

NotNull wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:51 pmNo Downloads folder anymore; only the Téléchargements folder after following these steps.
OK, thanks. So you mean that when I do this part:
void wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:54 am Right click your "Downloads" folder and click properties.
Click the Location tab.
Click Move.
Change the destination to:
%USERPROFILE%\Téléchargements
Click Select folder
Click OK.
Click Yes to move all files from the old location to the new location.
... the "Downloads" folder is going to magically disappear, leaving only the "Téléchargements" folder? :o

Also, let's say that I do the same operation for all the localized folders. After that, if an app wants to create its own files in "%username%\Documents", will it be automatically directed by Windows to "%username%\Mes documents"? Because otherwise it's going to create that second folder, which would be inconvenient.
void
Developer

Post by void »

... the "Downloads" folder is going to magically disappear, leaving only the "Téléchargements" folder? :o
The downloads folder is moved to the Téléchargements folder.
You will not lose any downloads.

Also, let's say that I do the same operation for all the localized folders. After that, if an app wants to create its own files in "%username%\Documents", will it be automatically directed by Windows to "%username%\Mes documents"? Because otherwise it's going to create that second folder, which would be inconvenient.
Yes, moving the downloads folder to Téléchargements is not ideal.
I've updated my OP to mention this is not recommended.
Hopefully your software lets you save to the new folder:

%userprofile%\Téléchargements

An alternative is to create a folder junction for:

%userprofile%\Téléchargements => %userprofile%\Downloads

From the Start menu, search for:
cmd
Run the following command:
mklink /d "%userprofile%\Téléchargements" "%userprofile%\Downloads"

Add C:\users\username\Téléchargements as a folder index under Everything -> Tools -> Options -> Folders.
(where username is your username)
You can optionally exclude C:\users\username\Downloads to avoid duplicates showing up in your results.