Using Everything for PC synchronization?

General discussion related to "Everything".
phil2search

Using Everything for PC synchronization?

Post by phil2search »

Hello,

I use everything all the time and really appreciate it.

I have desktop and a laptop that I synchronize morning and night (to get the files changed during the day or night).
A few hundreds files are changed at most in a set of folders comprising about 200,000 files.
Folders are on both machines on NTFS partitions, same structures, names, dates, sizes etc.

As both machines run everything, it would seem possible to:
* save the file lists on both machines: it takes about 1.5s for 150,000 files (timed on the command line, 20M file created)
* compare the two file lists: less than 0.2s with the diff command, easy to read output.
* parse the diff to start a file copy/delete (e.g. through ssh or other) or send to another tool

It would be really really fast I think... and it seems the important bricks (tools to get the file lists) are there.

Does anyone know if someone tried to implement something like that either directly though the SDK (a voidsync in a way ;-)) or through scripts?

Thanks
Philippe
NotNull

Re: Using Everything for PC synchronization?

Post by NotNull »

Well .. there *is* already a voidsync :)
Although that had a different purpose (version control)

See this thread and this one for a starting point.

Something to consider:
What are you going to do if you delete a file on - let's say - your desktop? The synchronization tool will immediately copy it over from your laptop when syncing.
Maybe compare locally first: take a "night shapshot" and later on a "day" snapshot on a machine and compare "day"and "night" first (that's how the version control tool/script works). That will detect deletes too.
phil2search

Post by phil2search »

Thanks for these pointers. I will look into them.
Yes a history is needed for deletion (it is also how it is implemented in the JFileSync tool I currently use).
Philippe
David.P

Post by David.P »

Hello all,

the linked threads are a bit over my head, unfortunately.

Therefore, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has found a simple and robust way to compare two directories with some hundred thousand files once or twice a day, where usually only one or two dozen files will have changed.

I've been trying every conceivable synchronization software for years, but they're all way too slow and way too cumbersome and way too specialized for the purpose.

I've realized that I don't need the umpteen comparison options and exception handling and whatnot that these tools usually offer. I simply want to see side-by-side where there are added or newer files, and then, what gives, might even shift the handful of files in question back and forth by hand.

Thanks for any tips or ideas!
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:36 am Hello all,

the linked threads are a bit over my head, unfortunately.

Therefore, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has found a simple and robust way to compare two directories with some hundred thousand files once or twice a day, where usually only one or two dozen files will have changed.

I've been trying every conceivable synchronization software for years, but they're all way too slow and way too cumbersome and way too specialized for the purpose.

I've realized that I don't need the umpteen comparison options and exception handling and whatnot that these tools usually offer. I simply want to see side-by-side where there are added or newer files, and then, what gives, might even shift the handful of files in question back and forth by hand.

Thanks for any tips or ideas!
For me, the Total Commander function "Synchronize Dirs" does what you want.
Try it, there is no limitation even without a license.
https://www.ghisler.com/download.htm
David.P

Post by David.P »

Thank you, I will definitely try Total Commander.

On the other hand, I just remembered that there actually is one feature that I need, and that is recognition of renamed and/or moved files and folders because this happens all the time, probably even more often than actual changes to files.

syncdirscomp[1].png
syncdirscomp[1].png (21.38 KiB) Viewed 3519 times
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:33 pm Thank you, I will definitely try Total Commander.

On the other hand, I just remembered that there actually is one feature that I need, and that is recognition of renamed and/or moved files and folders because this happens all the time, probably even more often than actual changes to files.
To my knowledge, there is no tool to find moved files in this context.
Microsoft had a tool which were able to do that using a databse but this is discontinued.
Moved or renamed files can be found by using TC's "Find duplicate files", comparing by content.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2David.P

I suggest you the following...

2024-01-10_Total Commander_Synchronize directories.png
2024-01-10_Total Commander_Synchronize directories.png (9.4 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
David.P

Post by David.P »

horst.epp wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:34 pm To my knowledge, there is no tool to find moved files in this context.
Microsoft had a tool which were able to do that using a databse but this is discontinued.
Yes, most sync tools do this with a database... Then I'll have to stick with PureSync for the time being, which a) usually recognizes renames and moves quite well and b) doesn't have a too scary interface for a start.

@tuska, I'm not sure what you are suggesting. I don't think that this will help with moves and renames.
tuska

Post by tuska »

David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:54 pm @tuska, I'm not sure what you are suggesting. I don't think that this will help with moves and renames.
Yes, that's right, but after confirming the synchronisation suggestion by clicking on the "Synchronize..." button in Total Commander
the "Equal files" are NOT displayed in the synchronisation window afterwards.

For me, the question arises as to what you intend to do with this realisation once you have identified the renamed or moved files.

I'll give you two examples:
- Left window: Drive D: ... Right window: Drive I:
- Drive D: is my main drive, drive I: serves as a backup drive
- My goal is to create an IDENTICAL COPY of drive D: on drive I:
- D:\20240101_153818.jpg <-> I:\20240101_153818.jpg - the same file exists on drive D: and I:

- D:\20240101_153818.jpg - RENAME to: 20240101_153818_a.jpg
- Synchronize directories > [x] Asymmetric, [x] Subdirs, [x] Empty directories,... (press F1 for Help)
- Synchronize directories > Compare:

Code: Select all

X (delete)	I:\20240101_153818.jpg
  D:\20240101_153818_a.jpg  	-> (copy)
- OR -

- My aim is NOT TO DELETE the files/folders BUT TO MERGE them TO drive D: and I:
- Synchronize directories > [ ] Asymmetric, [x] Subdirs, [x] Empty directories,... (press F1 for Help)
- Synchronize directories > Compare:

<- (copy)	I:\20240101_153818.jpg
  D:\20240101_153818_a.jpg  	-> (copy)
I could now use the same examples for a MOVE of files/folders.

Result:
- After clicking on the "Compare" button, both renames and moves are listed!
- The "Equal files" button is not required in these cases
David.P

Post by David.P »

I have two sides of the same folder structure with some 10.000 folders and some 100.000 files.

One side is mainly modified by myself, the other side is modified by half a dozen other people.

Still not sure whether you are saying that Total Commander can recognize files and folders that have been renamed and/or moved, without having to compare the file's contents (which would take much too long in my case).
tuska

Post by tuska »

David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:20 pm I have two sides of the same folder structure with some 10.000 folders and some 100.000 files.
One side is mainly modified by myself, the other side is modified by half a dozen other people.
With the same folder structure (the same path is on the left and right in the Total Commander window)
the above examples CANNOT be used because you will not get a result after a warning message.

However, there is the plugin "DiskDir Extended 1.68" for Total Commander with which you can map a directory structure,
WITHOUT renaming or moving files/folders "for real"!

A plug-in installation in Total Commander is started by double-clicking in Total Commander(!) either on the file
wcx_DiskDirExtended_1.68.zip (x86) or wcx64_DiskDirExtended_1.67.zip (x64).

Setting up the Packer file extension:
Configuration > Packer > Additional packers > Configure packer extension WCXs > Associate ... >
All files With extension (ending with): LST (example only).

Example:
- Mark files/folders e.g. in this path: C:\totalcmd\Addons\ [mark with TC command: cm_ExchangeSelBoth]
- Pack... Alt+F5
- Select your pack options AND "LST" as the packer
- The file "Addons.LST" has been created and now contains the entire directory structure (without real files)
- Option: It is highly recommended to set a timestamp before the file name via automatic renaming in TC(!),
  e.g. 2024-01-10_165314_Addons.LST (Renaming to date created/time possible without prompting via shortcut).
- Create a new file (.LST) at a later or arbitrary time or the next day using Packer -> 2024-01-10_170849_Addons.LST
- A synchronisation comparison in Total Commander is then possible.

If you are interested and need further help, please let me know.
The Total Commander Forum wouldn't be a bad place for further questions either. ;)
David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:20 pm Still not sure whether you are saying that Total Commander can recognize files and folders that have been renamed and/or moved,
without having to compare the file's contents (which would take much too long in my case).
If files/folders are renamed or moved, it is NOT necessary to check the file contents in my opinion.

David.P

Post by David.P »

David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:20 pm I have two sides of the same folder structure with some 10.000 folders and some 100.000 files.

Still not sure whether you are saying that Total Commander can recognize files and folders that have been renamed and/or moved, without having to compare the file's contents (which would take much too long in my case).
tuska wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:27 pm However, there is the plugin "DiskDir Extended 1.68" for Total Commander with which you can map a directory structure,
WITHOUT renaming or moving files/folders "for real"!
Thanks tuska, but unfortunately I have the impression that one of us (or both) doesn't understand what the other is talking about. Maybe I'm wrong and someone else can clarify.

I should perhaps add for clarification that although I have the same folder structure on the right and left, the two folder structures are of course on different drives.
tuska

Post by tuska »

David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:18 pm I should perhaps add for clarification that although I have the same folder structure on the right and left,
the two folder structures are of course on different drives.
Thank you for this hint!

> "One side is mainly modified by myself, the other side is modified by half a dozen other people."
I am trying to interpret this statement in terms of possible solutions.

Scenario
- Starting point are - as an example - the drives D: and I: with identical folder structure.
- Let's assume that the folder/file structure drifts apart immediately due to renaming and moving.
- Let us also assume the following:
  1. The files/folders are renamed or moved by both you and other people on drive D: or I:.
     - OR -
  2. The files/folders are renamed or moved on drive D: by you and on drive I: by other people.

- How should the renames or moves be tracked, and that
  WITHOUT manipulating the real files/folders during comparing in "Synchronize directories"?
  3. Drive D: or I: together?
  4. Drive D: or I: separately?

Synchronize directories - Settings
[x] Empty directories, [ ] Asymmetric, [x] Subdirs
Show (Buttons pressed):
- Files to copy from left to right
- Unequal files
- Files to copy from right to left
- duplicates
- singles
Show (Button NOT pressed): Equal files

Suggested solutions for 1., 2., 3. Drive D: or I: together
3.1 Left D:, right I: > Synchronise directories: Compare > Close (without plugin "DiskDir Extended")
     Renamed, moved or new files/folders are displayed after clicking on "Compare".
     - OR -
3.2 Left: D:\2024-01-10_1653_Addons_d.LST, right: 2024-01-10_1708_Addons_i.LST (created with packer plugin "DiskDir Extended")
     Double-click the .LST files to open it > Synchronise directories: Compare > Close

Suggested solutions for 1., 2., 4. Drive D: or I: separately
4.1 Left D:\2024-01-10_1653_Addons_d.LST, right: 2024-01-10_1708_Addons_i.LST (created with packer plugin "DiskDir Extended")
     Double-click the .LST files to open it > Synchronise directories: Compare > Close

- OR -
4.2 Left D:\2024-01-10_1653_Addons_d.LST, right: Left D:\2024-01-10_1730_Addons_d.LST (time difference exists!)
     - AND -
4.3 Left I:\2024-01-10_1653_Addons_i.LST, right: Left I:\2024-01-10_1730_Addons_i.LST (time difference exists!)

I can only recommend that you carry out tests yourself with a small number of files and folders (I did the same).
This is the best way to find out for yourself what is most suitable for you.

With this post, my knowledge of this topic is slowly coming to an end...
(I currently know of no other possible solutions).
David.P

Post by David.P »

WHAT THE
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:35 pmWHAT THE
What?

I hope you didn't have any impolite response in mind. Remember: people here are trying to help you and putting in great effort to do so (see above for example). Voluntarily. Even if the answers don't help you in the way you wanted, you should be thankful anyway.

If not, people might be much less inclined to help you a next time.
Like me: I think I have an answer, but might not post it; will depend on your responses.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Understood.

Long version of my post from yesterday just before going to sleep:

While I do recognize the effort, unfortunately I don't have the slightest idea what tuska's posts are about. In other words, I still don't understand anything tuska has written in this thread.

Unfortunately, I can't even tell if it applies to the question at hand.
David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:18 pm Thanks tuska, but unfortunately I have the impression that one of us (or both) doesn't understand what the other is talking about. Maybe I'm wrong and someone else can clarify.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I'm in a buit of a hhurry, so here the first short version:

- Create a filter:

Name = Diff
Search = regex:#quote:#regex-escape:<#element:<$param:,;,1>>(\\.*$)#quote: | regex:#quote:#regex-escape:<#element:<$param:,;,2>>(\\.*$)#quote:   column1:=$size:__$regmatch1: unique:column1
Macro = diff

- Search for:

diff:"c:\first folder";"x:\second folder"

Results will show all files/fodlers where name adn size differ.
David.P

Post by David.P »

🤯*

Wow thanks, will definitely try this one
--
*) Time and again blown away by the fact that there is apparently nothing that Everything can't do 💁‍♂️
tuska

Post by tuska »

David.P wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:08 am While I do recognize the effort, unfortunately I don't have the slightest idea what tuska's posts are about.
In other words, I still don't understand anything tuska has written in this thread.
I will provide a picture description later...

I will also have a look at NotNull's solution.
therube

Post by therube »

I'm not clearing on what "type" of sync you're after?

After that, then maybe think about how Everything can work into that flow.
And then, if an actual directory sync program is more appropriate.

Some sorts of sync methods here, Synchronization Settings: Two way, Mirror, Update.
(Other then with a file manager & comparing specific trees, I've only used Update methods with other sync programs.)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I think this is more about finding differences than the actual syncing of files (although Everything can help here too)

Waiting on some feedback (very well possible that the suggested solution will not do what I intended) before taking the next step: finding renamed/moved files.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2David.P
Please see the step-by-step instructions below for a solution using Total Commander.

Starting position
DIFFERENT DRIVES
David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:18 pm I should perhaps add for clarification that although I have the same folder structure on the right and left,
the two folder structures are of course on different drives.
MERGE
David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:36 am Therefore, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has found a simple and robust way to compare two directories
with some hundred thousand files once or twice a day, where usually only one or two dozen files will have changed.

I simply want to see side-by-side where there are added or newer files, and then, what gives,
might even shift the handful of files in question back and forth by hand.
TRACKING AND TRACING
David.P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:33 pm On the other hand, I just remembered that there actually is one feature that I need,
and that is recognition of renamed and/or moved files and folders because this happens all the time,
probably even more often than actual changes to files.
⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
ad MERGE
Synchronize directories - Settings - see [also point 3.1 above and] image below -> "Synchronize directories".
Compare two directories and shift the handful of REAL files in question by clicking on the "Synchronize..." button in Total Commander.

LEFT D:\totalcmd\Test\, RIGHT I:\totalcmd\Test\ > Synchronize directories (WITHOUT plugin "DiskDir Extended")
- Renamed, moved or new files/folders are DISPLAYED after clicking on "Compare"
- Files are MERGED after clicking on the "Synchronize..." button.
  ATTENTION:
  For those files which are suggested for synchronisation but which are NOT to be copied/moved/deleted
  must be deselected before clicking on the "Synchronize..." button -> "Remove selection CTRL+M"!
  It is possible to select several files and unselect them with CTRL+M.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If the "Asymmetric" option is ticked in "Synchronise directories", then after clicking on the "Synchronize..." button
in the right-hand window, an identical file structure to the path in the left-hand window will be created.
This option must therefore NOT be ticked for this request!

2024-01-12_Starting position - (Example - Identical file structure).png

2024-01-12_Starting position - (Example - Identical file structure).png
2024-01-12_Starting position - (Example - Identical file structure).png (44.29 KiB) Viewed 3213 times

2024-01-12_File structure after changes in the RIGHT-HAND TC window.png

2024-01-12_File structure after changes in the RIGHT-HAND TC window.png
2024-01-12_File structure after changes in the RIGHT-HAND TC window.png (48.82 KiB) Viewed 3213 times

Synchronize directories

2024-01-12_Synchronize directories.png
2024-01-12_Synchronize directories.png (92.22 KiB) Viewed 3213 times

- Compare: Shows the copy direction, etc. to merge the files.
  After clicking on the button, the differences between the left and right TC window are displayed.
- Synchronize...: After clicking on the button, the REAL files are copied, etc.
  The files are merged. An identical file structure is then available again at this point.
- Close: After clicking on the “Close” button, the “Synchronize directories” window is closed.

- Options (recommended) - [upon request]
  1. Start "Synchronize directories" via shortcut in a separate window (task) and start the comparison automatically.
  2. Set a timestamp before the file name via shortcut (automatic renaming in TC for .LST files - see next post...)
      E.g. 2024-01-10_165314_Folder.LST (Renaming to date created/time possible without prompting).
  3. Show folder with content of .LST file(s) in Total Commander with a different background colour.

⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
ad TRACKING AND TRACING
Please see next post...
tuska

Post by tuska »

ad TRACKING AND TRACING

Total Commander - Packer plugin "DiskDir Extended"
For "TRACKING AND TRACING" in Total Commander the plugin "DiskDir Extended" (.wcx - Packer Plugin) is required.
  1. Download the file(s) "wcx64_DiskDirExtended_1.67.zip (x64) - 64 bit)" and/or "wcx_DiskDirExtended_1.68.zip (x86) -32 bit".
  2. Double-click in Total Commander(!) on the file "wcx64_DiskDirExtended_1.67.zip" to start the installation.
    See also the installation instructions in the file "DiskDirExtended64bit.txt".

2024-01-13_Plugin - Installation directory.png
    2024-01-13_Plugin - Installation directory.png (31.72 KiB) Viewed 3210 times

3. Configure packer extension WCXs: LST

2024-01-13_Configure packer extension WCXs - LST.png
    2024-01-13_Configure packer extension WCXs - LST.png (67.89 KiB) Viewed 3210 times

4. The setup of the plugin is now complete.

How to use

2024-01-13_Pack files with extension LST.png
2024-01-13_Pack files with extension LST.png (69.25 KiB) Viewed 3210 times

1. Mark files/folders e.g. in this path: I:\totalcmd\Test\ [mark with TC command: cm_ExchangeSelBoth] -> right window!
  2. Select destination directory in opposite panel ...
    I can highly recommend the following:
    1. Always display the .LST DIRECTORY on the LEFT and the directory in which the CHANGES are to be detected on the RIGHT.
    2. The synchronisation window should always display the PREVIOUS file structure on the LEFT and the CURRENT structure on the RIGHT.
        This means that the CHANGES ARE ALWAYS DISPLAYED ON THE RIGHT in the Synchronize directories window.
  3. Press the Tab key to move the focus back to the right-hand TC window (right window recommended!)
  4. Press Alt+F5 - Pack files...
  5. Select your pack options AND "LST" as the packer.
  6. After clicking on the "OK" button, an .LST file is created in the opposite Total Commander window (-> left window recommended!).
    This file contains the entire directory structure (WITHOUT real files).
  7. Set a timestamp before the filename, e.g. 2024-01-12_1644_I-totalcmd-Test_after-CHANGES.LST.
    This makes it easier to compare file structures later, e.g. with 2024-01-13_1033_I-totalcmd-Test_after-further-CHANGES.LST.
  8. Create a new file (.LST) at a later or arbitrary time or the next day using Packer with extension "LST".

9. Comparison of file structures.
    The/all FILES to be compared (.LST) are located in the LEFT-hand TC window (for example).
    -------
    I can highly recommend the following:
    The synchronisation window should always display the PREVIOUS file structure on the LEFT and the CURRENT structure on the RIGHT.
    This means that the CHANGES ARE ALWAYS DISPLAYED ON THE RIGHT in the Synchronize directories window.
    1. Position the cursor on the file "2024-01-12_164449_I-totalcmd-Test_after-CHANGES.LST" (current file structure)
      and then press the Ctrl + right arrow key: The .LST file is opened and displayed in the right-hand TC window.
    2. Double-click on the file "2024-01-12_163006_I-totalcmd-Test_Start.LST" (previous file structure) in the left-hand window.
      The .LST file is opened and displayed in the left-hand TC window. Alternatively, you can also press Ctrl + Page Down.
    3. Click on a button with command: cm_FileSync (or execute Menu "Commands" > "Synchronise Dirs...").
    4. Check the "Asymmetric" option: This must NOT be ticked for this case!
    5. Click on the "Compare" button
    6. The changes to the file structure are displayed on the RIGHT!
    7. Option:
      - Select a file name and then click again slowly so that you can copy only the name with Ctrl+C.
      - Select a file name and then press Ctrl+C so that you can copy the modification date, file size and file name.
    8. Then click on the "Close" button to close the window.
Hope this helps.

The description appears voluminous. However, after a one-off setup and carrying out a test with a few files
you will quickly realise that the effort required to determine different file structures,
especially when only a handful of files are involved, is very low.
FastStone Capture Version 10.4 - 2023-12-26
tuska

Post by tuska »

NotNull wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:22 am I'm in a bit of a hurry, so here the first short version:

- Create a filter:

Name = Diff
Search = regex:#quote:#regex-escape:<#element:<$param:,;,1>>(\\.*$)#quote: | regex:#quote:#regex-escape:<#element:<$param:,;,2>>(\\.*$)#quote:   column1:=$size:__$regmatch1: unique:column1
Macro = diff
- Search for:

diff:"c:\first folder";"x:\second folder"
Results will show all files/folders where name and size differ.
Hi,

Basis:
2nd image: 2024-01-12_File structure after changes in the RIGHT-HAND TC window.png
and image below...

2024-01-13_Everything_Filter_Diff.png
2024-01-13_Everything_Filter_Diff.png (19.75 KiB) Viewed 3196 times

I get no result in Everything 1366a mod1 (1367a) - the search result is empty.

Unfortunately, I also have to take this opportunity to mention that I would rather consider those users as testers
who really need such a function in Everything. I don't even need the "TRACKING AND TRACING" function in Total Commander.
No offence intended.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

No offense taken (of course).

The reason I asked was
I will also have a look at NotNull's solution.

One last favour (in this topic; pretty sure I will still bother you in the future :D ) :
Could you please zip your testfolders and send them to me?
That way I can test and improve.
Thanks so far!

( I think you already have my personal mail address; if not: please send a PM ).
David.P

Post by David.P »

This is a very impressive setup and run tutorial, @tuska.

I am still reluctant because the entire procedure honestly intimidates me.

Will this enable me to press a button and then clearly see after a minute or so which of my ~100.000 files and folders have been added, renamed, changed, moved on either side?

And then easily carry out the same changes on the other side?

There is one more thing I forgot to mention. One side is on Sharepoint. That would not be a problem if Sharepoint would not, of all things, CHANGE THE FILE SIZE of most files as soon as they are uploaded, see over at Freefilesync:
Zenju wrote:It's like you put your precious art collection in a store house, and they scribble all over it with a pencil to help with their bookkeeping. I can't fathom how Microsoft developers came to the conclusion that this is "OK".
Last edited by David.P on Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuska

Post by tuska »

NotNull wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:48 pm Could you please zip your testfolders and send them to me?
Done.
PM sent.
tuska

Post by tuska »

David.P wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:09 pm Will this enable me to press a button and then clearly see after a minute or so which of my ~100.000 files and folders
have been added, renamed, moved on either side?

And then easily carry out the same changes on the other side?
As a test, I compared the file structure of drive D: and I: (I: is a backup of drive D:) - NO network drives(!):
- Drive D: approx. 151,000 files, 13,700 folders
- Comparison time after clicking on "Compare" in the synchronisation window: <13 seconds (uncached)
  Comparison time after clicking on "Compare" in the synchronisation window:  < 7 seconds (cached, after Re-synchronisation)
  Windows 11 Pro (x64) Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3007) | Installed RAM: 32.0 GB,
  Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12600K 12th Gen, 3.70 GHz, 10 Cores, 16 Logical Processors
- The following files/folders have been PROPOSED for synchronisation in the synchronisation window:
   Left (drive D:): 9 files, 1 folder | Right (drive I:): 5 files

If a "MERGE" is performed after comparison, the plugin is not required.
If both the D: or I: drive are to be considered separately, then in my opinion the "TRACKING" (.LST) and "MERGE" method should be used.

In this context, the question arises as to which method makes more sense
(however, only you can determine this on the basis of practical experience):
  1. MERGE
    I display the differences between D: and I: in the synchronisation window and immediately carry out the transfers in this window.
    In this case, however, it could be that for many unwanted positions BEFORE synchronisation
    I have to REMOVE the copy direction arrow, etc. in the synchronisation window.

For example, such files should be checked in particular: Different file sizes.

Drive D:                                                                Drive I:
    Testfile1.txt    38    13.01.24 18:42:14        <-        13.01.24 22:38:08    0    Testfile1.txt

This method (MERGE) could be recommended for a handful of files.

2. TRACKING and MERGE
    I create separate .LST files for both the D: and I: drives, which I then compare via the synchronisation window.
    The differences are displayed in the synchronisation window.
    However, I would then have to search for files to be moved or copied first in Everything,
    then transfer them to Total Commander (individually via shortcut) and perform the action there.

3. In any case, I would repeat only "Compare" in the synchronisation window at the end
    to make sure that the differences have been reworked accordingly.

David.P wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:09 pm There is one more thing I forgot to mention. One side is on Sharepoint.
That would not be a problem if Sharepoint would not, of all things, CHANGE THE FILE SIZE of most files
as soon as they are uploaded, see over at Freefilesync:
With regard to changing the file size, I have also given an example above.
Even if the left and right file have the same "timestamp" and only the file size is different
the files are listed in the synchronisation window and suggested for synchronisation(!):

Drive D:                                                              Drive I:
Testfile1.txt    0    12.01.24 16:19:01        <-        14.01.24 16:19:01    10    Testfile1.txt
Testfile1.txt    0    12.01.24 16:19:01        !=        14.01.24 16:19:01    10    Testfile1.txt   (Whole line in red color!)

Unfortunately I can't say anything about SharePoint <=> Total Commander.
If you have a question about this, you can ask it in the Total Commander Forum,
e.g. under this topic: Access to sharepoint folder?

I suggest you again to carry out a small test.
David.P

Post by David.P »

tuska wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:10 amEven if the left and right file have the same "timestamp" and only the file size is different
the files are listed in the synchronisation window and suggested for synchronisation(!)
That would be a problem, because the size difference ("Thanks" Microsoft) applies to most of my ~100,000 files.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

So ... relying on date modified as well as size is not possible (thanks to Sharepoint). Checksums -- like MD5 -- for files is off the table too as the files are actually modified by Sharepoint.
Relying on name will miss all renamed files/folders.

I'm running out of ideas. Maybe use the integrated Sharepoint synchronization option instead?

tuska wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:12 pmDone.
Thanks! Will fiddle around a bit to get it working.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Yeah, I believe it is only possible using a sync software that creates a database of all files.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2David.P
David.P wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:13 pm ... the size difference ("Thanks" Microsoft) applies to most of my ~100,000 files.
David.P wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:05 pm Yeah, I believe it is only possible using a sync software that creates a database of all files.
In this case, the following solution could be considered: TRACKING AND TRACING and MERGE by Hand(!).

1. Compare your separate databases (only "Drive D:") via .LST files - Compare in "Synchronise directories" to show the differences
2. Compare databases of SharePoint  (only "Drive I:") via .LST files - Compare in "Synchronise directories" to show the differences
3. Compare the differences ("handful of files/folders") between your database and the SharePoint database MANUALLY against each other
    (WITHOUT Compare in "Synchronise directories").

If it is only a handful of files, I see this as a viable option.

You could carry out a test beforehand with folders in which there are only very few files both in SharePoint and on your own drive.
If this constellation does not exist, then a test scenario would have to be created.

In my opinion, it will not be possible to deal with the issue without carrying out a test of some kind.
Even if you use a different tool, you will hardly be able to avoid a test.
tuska

Post by tuska »

David.P wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:13 pm ... the size difference ("Thanks" Microsoft) applies to most of my ~100,000 files.
Finally, I found this post in the Total Commander forum:
Synchronize Directories based only on filedate and ignore size - by ghisler(Author) » 05.11.2021 wrote:
Sync has 4 buttons to show/hide results: Left to right, right to left, equal, and not equal.
You can simply ignore files recognized as "not equal", since only files with the same file date
but different size will be marked that way.

Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Below are two practical examples of the display in the "Synchronize directories" window.
The Total Commander Packer plugin "DiskDir Extended" (.wcx) is NOT required in this case!

2024-01-15_Your files__Files in SharePoint__Date and size difference_Synchronising direction_NOT Asymmetric!.png
2024-01-15_Your files__Files in SharePoint__Date and size difference_Synchronising direction_NOT Asymmetric!.png (104.99 KiB) Viewed 3058 times

2024-01-15_Date and size difference --- Synchronising direction - Note path left and right!.png
2024-01-15_Date and size difference --- Synchronising direction - Note path left and right!.png (51.28 KiB) Viewed 3058 times

Synchronize directories - window

Click on the "Unequal files" button to HIDE files with different file sizes ........... | Button status: PRESSED --> [SharePoint]
Then click on the "Unequal files" button again to SHOW files with different file sizes  | Button status: NOT PRESSED
Option

Click on the "Files to copy from left to right" after "Compare" to HIDE files LEFT .... | Button status: PRESSED
Then click on the "Files to copy from left to right" button again to SHOW files LEFT .. | Button status: NOT PRESSED

Click on the "Files to copy from right to left" after "Compare" to HIDE files RIGHT ... | Button status: PRESSED
Then click on the "Files to copy from right to left" button again to SHOW files RIGHT   | Button status: NOT PRESSED
A comparison of files, e.g. with different file sizes, can be started directly in the "Synchronise directories" window:
- Double-click on the row
  - OR -
- Select the row
- Ctrl+F3 calls up the internal comparison tool of Total Commander.
- Press the ESC key to close the comparison window.

External and/or internal comparison tool
- Double-click on the row
  - OR -
- Select the row
  1. Ctrl+F3
    1. wincmd.ini - Section [Configuration]
      CompareTool=Path\to\your\external compare tool, e.g.
      CompareTool=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\WinMergePortableZip\WinMergeU.exe
    2. External comparison tool "WinMerge" is called up.
  2. Ctrl+Shift+F3 -> Total Commander's internal comparison tool is called up.
- Press the ESC key to close the comparison window.
donotbugme

Post by donotbugme »

phil2search wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:01 pm Hello,

I use everything all the time and really appreciate it.

I have desktop and a laptop that I synchronize morning and night (to get the files changed during the day or night).
A few hundreds files are changed at most in a set of folders comprising about 200,000 files.
Folders are on both machines on NTFS partitions, same structures, names, dates, sizes etc.

As both machines run everything, it would seem possible to:
* save the file lists on both machines: it takes about 1.5s for 150,000 files (timed on the command line, 20M file created)
* compare the two file lists: less than 0.2s with the diff command, easy to read output.
* parse the diff to start a file copy/delete (e.g. through ssh or other) or send to another tool

It would be really really fast I think... and it seems the important bricks (tools to get the file lists) are there.

Does anyone know if someone tried to implement something like that either directly though the SDK (a voidsync in a way ;-)) or through scripts?

Thanks
Philippe
Hello Philippe,
Glad to hear you're finding Everything useful! Your idea of leveraging Everything for PC synchronization sounds promising. While I'm not aware of a direct implementation, utilizing the SDK or scripts for a customized sync solution seems feasible. You can explore scripting languages like Python to automate the process based on the file lists. It might be a unique project, so remember to share your findings if you decide to give it a try.
tuska

Post by tuska »

David.P wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:09 pm ... One side is on Sharepoint. That would not be a problem if Sharepoint would not, of all things,
    CHANGE THE FILE SIZE of most files as soon as they are uploaded, ...
I would like to do another test regarding changed file sizes in SharePoint.
To make this realistic, I would need some more information:
  1. Is the TIMESTAMP on SharePoint also changed after the upload?
  2. What happens when a file is MOVED in SharePoint?
    1. Will the file size also be changed here?
    2. Will the timestamp be changed?
Thank you in advance for answering the questions.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Just got another idea. Haven't worked out the details, but I will forget otherwise.

The idea is to take a "snapshot" of the current SharePoint state and save it as an EFU file. "Tomorrow" compare SharePoint-snapshot with the content of "regular" Everything. This will listr the changes made in Sharepoint between the moment of snapshot and now.

(assuming names, dates and size do no longer change by itself once in Sharepoint)

Will try to get something going this weekend.
David.P

Post by David.P »

Hi tuska,

Is the TIMESTAMP on SharePoint also changed after the upload?
nope

What happens when a file is MOVED in SharePoint?
only the path changes

Will the file size also be changed here?
not anymore, only one time after the first upload

Will the timestamp be changed?
nope

Best regards
David
tuska

Post by tuska »

Hi David,
Thank you for your answers to my questions. :)

I'll get back to you when I've finished the final test with cross-check.
That will take some time.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2David.P
I have now tested the topic again as described above with Total Commander.
tuska wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:25 pm In this case, the following solution could be considered: TRACKING AND TRACING and MERGE by Hand(!).

1. Compare your separate databases (only "Drive D:") via .LST files - Compare in "Synchronize directories" to show the differences
2. Compare databases of SharePoint  (only "Drive I:") via .LST files - Compare in "Synchronize directories" to show the differences
3. Compare the differences ("handful of files/folders") between your database and the SharePoint database MANUALLY against each other
    (WITHOUT Compare in "Synchronize directories").

If it is only a handful of files, I see this as a viable option.
⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
OneDrive
To make it easier to understand the test procedure and examples, I have uploaded all the files (ZIP, LST, EFU, PNG) to OneDrive.
Only .LST files are required to solve the issue (see points 1.-3. above).

Download all files to any folder on your PC, e.g. C:\Synchronize_OwnFiles_SharePoint\.
The folder should NOT be a test path! ...
Test paths in Total Commander:
Left:  D:\totalcmd\Test\ ("My own files")
2024-02-16_12.29.07_COMPARISON BASE-1_(initial basis)_Own-files_(left).zip
2024-02-16_16.47.40_COMPARISON BASE-2_Own-files_(left).zip

Right: I:\totalcmd\Test\ ("SharePoint")
2024-02-16_12.52.09_COMPARISON BASE-1_(initial basis)_SharePoint_(right).zip
2024-02-16_16.47.46_COMPARISON BASE-2_SharePoint_(right).zip
Mandatory: DiskDir Extended (.wcx - Packer Plugin) for Total Commander
Install the "DiskDir Extended (.wcx - Packer Plugin)" and pay attention to the information(!).
Mandatory: BUTTON "Synchronize dirs" in Total Commander (copy/paste CODE)
It is highly recommended to set up this button in Total Commander (TC), as it allows the test paths to be called up at any time
in a SEPARATE WINDOW -AND- the SAVED options are used, regardless of which options were used before.

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
%COMMANDER_EXE%
/S=S:=Own-files_(left)__SharePoint_(right)
wcmicons.dll,48
"Synchronize dirs"- SavedSettingsName: Own-files_(left)__SharePoint_(right)|D:\totalcmd\Test\ (left) <=> I:\totalcmd\Test\ (right) ...|+ OPTIONS, e.g. Asymmetric, Equal files, Unequal files: UNTICKED!|The COMPARISON starts IMMEDIATELY in a SEPARATE(!) window!

Create a Button in the Buttonbar (copy/paste CODE)
  1. Click on "SELECT ALL" (to the right of CODE:), then press CTRL+C (copy to clipboard).
  2. Right-click on any place in the button bar, then click on "Paste".
  3. Option1: Point to the new button (slightly longer): 'Tooltip' is shown (-> description to the button).
                  A maximum of 259 characters is allowed for the tooltip. | = create line break, || = create | as separator character.
  4. Option2: Button bar - "Tooltip" field: A single space deactivates the display of the tooltip.
                  If the "Tooltip" field is empty, the content of the "Command" field is displayed.
  5. Option3: See FAQs and explanation: Button-code (TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA)  <-- <Ctrl+click on the link...>
SavedSettingsName: Own-files_(left)__SharePoint_(right)
Use an editor to add the following text to the "wincmd.ini" file in the [SyncOptions] section:
(The [SyncOptions] section may only exist once! If it does not exist, it must be added).

Own-files_(left)__SharePoint_(right)_L=D:\totalcmd\Test\
Own-files_(left)__SharePoint_(right)_R=I:\totalcmd\Test\
Own-files_(left)__SharePoint_(right)_Wcs=*.*
Own-files_(left)__SharePoint_(right)_Flags=17|57|6
Note ONLY:
This code is generated when you call a button with command: cm_FileSync or menu "Commands" > Synchronize Dirs... and then
click on the button with the folder symbol+star at the top left: "Open list of saved sync directories+options (F2)"
and then make your settings and save them.
Option (recommended!): Directory hotlist Ctrl+D
Directory hotlist Ctrl+D (* asterisk next to the path above the column headings)
If you have unpacked the ZIP files and changed to the corresponding directory in Total Commander on the left and right,
then it is advisable to ADD THE TWO DIRECTORIES to the "Directory hotlist Ctrl+D":
- Ctrl+D
- ± Add current dir
- ☑ Also save the target dir
- OK
Mandatory: BUTTON with command: em_Synchronize_CURRENT_DIRECTORIES_in_a_separate window | Shortcut: ALT+S
This button is required for the comparison of .LST files.

ATTENTION: With this button, you must pay attention to which OPTIONS are set in "Synchronise directories"!
If necessary, set the desired options and then restart the process with ALT+S.

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
em_Synchronize_CURRENT_DIRECTORIES_in_a_separate window

wcmicons.dll,48
Synchronize CURRENT directories/sep. task! (ALT+S)|Comparison starts IMMEDIATELY!|"Synchronize directories" window:|- LEFT: F3, RIGHT: Shift+F3 displays file(s) in the Lister...|- Multiple selection possible!|https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75185

Add the following to the "usercmd.ini" file (if this file does not yet exist, create it with a text editor):

[em_Synchronize_CURRENT_DIRECTORIES_in_a_separate_window]
button=TOTALCMD.EXE,32
cmd=%COMMANDER_EXE%
param=/S=S:= "%X%Z%P" "%T"
menu=Synchronize CURRENT directories/sep. task! (ALT+S)|Comparison starts IMMEDIATELY!|"Synchronize directories" window:|- LEFT: F3, RIGHT: Shift+F3 displays file(s) in the Lister...|- Multiple selection possible!|https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75185
Add the following to the "wincmd.ini" file in section [Shortcuts] - ATTENTION: The [Shortcuts] section may only exist once!

A+S=Synchronize_CURRENT_DIRECTORIES_in_a_separate_window
Option (recommended!): BUTTON Configure ignore list
Files/directories in this list are NOT taken into account during synchronisation(!).
This means, for example, that entire directory trees can be excluded from synchronisation.
Examples: G:\Backup\, G:\System Volume Information\, G:\WindowsImageBackup, etc.

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
cm_IgnoreConfig

WCMICONS.dll,73
Configure ignore list ... cm_IgnoreConfig|Add marked files/directories to list or remove from list|Mark file or folder, then press this button ...|Option: Show/hide HIDDEN files ($RECYCLE.BIN): cm_SwitchHid ON/OFF

If you temporarily comment out entries in the ignore list, these entries will be taken into account during synchronisation!
Examples: ...\tcignore.txt
;D:\totalcmd\Test
;I:\totalcmd\Test
Option (recommended!): BUTTON Switch ignore list on/off
If this button does NOT have the status "pressed", then the files/folders
saved in the ignore list are taken into account during synchronisation!

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
cm_SwitchIgnoreList

WCMICONS.dll,73
Switch ignore list ON/OFF ... cm_SwitchIgnoreList ...|Configuration -> Options... -> Ignore list |Button pressed = HIDDEN (folders, files) |Option: BEFORE: Show/hide HIDDEN files ($RECYCLE.BIN): cm_SwitchHid ON/OFF

Comparison of files with Total Commander and/or WinMerge
The image shows a comparison of files with Total Commander and WinMerge:
2024-02-10_15.10.22_Encoding ANSI_to UTF-16 LE BOM_file size gets bigger.png

2024-02-10_15.10.22_Encoding ANSI_to UTF-16 LE BOM_file size gets bigger.png (174.21 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

If a file comparison with WinMerge is to be carried out in Total Commander, the following must be entered in the "wincmd.ini" file
in the [Configuration] section, for example, the following must be specified:

CompareTool=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\WinMergePortableZip\WinMergeU.exe
(%COMMANDER_PATH% = the location in which the file "TOTALCMD64.EXE" and/or "TOTALCMD.EXE" is located).

In this case, a comparison by file content with Total Commander is still possible with this command:

cm_IntCompareFilesByContent

The test cases and results will follow in the next post...
tuska

Post by tuska »

Test cases and results

Test paths in Total Commander:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Left:  D:\totalcmd\Test\ ("My own files") <=> Right: I:\totalcmd\Test\ ("SharePoint")
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changing the file size of SharePoint after uploading - (see picture in previous post)

Note on changing the file size of SharePoint after uploading:

ToDo's only for test cases(!):
- Convert encoding "ANSI" to "UTF-16LE with Signature" with Notepad++ to simulate the changed file size -> The file is larger!
- Correct the date and time back to the original values! When uploading to SharePoint, only the size of the file changes!

2024-02-17_COMPARISON BASE-1___COMPARISON BASE-2___FileStructure.png
2024-02-17_COMPARISON BASE-1___COMPARISON BASE-2___FileStructure.png (102.74 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

2024-02-17_COMPARISON BASE-1___COMPARISON BASE-2___LST-files.png
2024-02-17_COMPARISON BASE-1___COMPARISON BASE-2___LST-files.png (83.51 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

As mentioned above, .LST files are used to compare the user's own files, namely
the CURRENT FILE STRUCTURE with the PREVIOUS FILE STRUCTURE saved in an .LST file.
There was a change for those files that are displayed on the left or right in the synchronisation window.

The same applies to file structures in SharePoint.
The digits displayed correspond to the test case number.

Note:
If you click on a file in the synchronisation window and then perform a slow click on the file again,
you can copy the file to the clipboard after it has been completely marked OR
press Ctrl+C after the first click (copying the file name, file size, modification date and time to the clipboard).
Test cases
  1. Test case 1: COPY

FROM	(LEFT) - Own files:
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder2\Testfile2.txt			0	12.01.2024 16:19
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder2\Testfile3.txt			0	12.01.2024 16:19
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder2\Testfile4.txt			0	15.01.2024 08:51
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder2\Testfile5.txt			0	14.01.2024 08:00

TO 	(RIGHT) - SharePoint *):
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    I:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder1\Testfile2.txt			2	12.01.2024 16:19
    I:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder1\Testfile3.txt			2	12.01.2024 16:19
    I:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder1\Testfolder1_a\Testfile4.txt	2	15.01.2024 08:51
    I:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder1\Testfolder1_a\Testfile5.txt	2	14.01.2024 08:00
    *) ToDo's only for test cases(!):
    - Convert encoding "ANSI" to "UTF-16LE with Signature" with Notepad++ to simulate the changed file size -> The file is larger!
    - Correct the date and time back to the original values! When uploading to SharePoint, only the size of the file changes!

2. Test case 2 + 3: MOVE
    ; D:\totalcmd\Test\Calculate\C4.csv -> I:\totalcmd\Test\Calculate\
    ; I:\totalcmd\Test\Testfile6.txt         -> D:\totalcmd\Test\
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Test case 2 (MOVE left to right):

FROM	(LEFT) - Own files:
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Calculate\C4.csv				9	19.01.2024 16:44

Name/Ext							Size	Date
    I:\totalcmd\Test\Calculate\C4.csv				20	19.01.2024 16:44

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Test case 3 (MOVE right to left):

FROM    (RIGHT) - SharePoint):
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    I:\totalcmd\Test\Testfile6.txt					2	16.02.2024 12:46

TO	(LEFT) - Own files:
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Testfile6.txt					2	16.02.2024 12:46

3. Test case 4: RENAME file in SharePoint

Name/Ext							Size	Date
    I:\totalcmd\Test\C4.csv						20	16.02.2024 12:46

TO      (RIGHT) - SharePoint):
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    I:\totalcmd\Test\3.csv						20	16.02.2024 12:46

4. Test case 5 + 6: RENAME and MOVE
    Test case 5: RENAME

FROM	(LEFT) - Own files:
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Calculate\C6.csv				9	19.01.2024 16:44

TO	(LEFT) - Own files:
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Calculate\5.csv				9	19.01.2024 16:44
    Test case 6: MOVE

FROM	(LEFT) - Own files:
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Calculate\5.csv				9	19.01.2024 16:44

Name/Ext							Size	Date
    I:\totalcmd\Test\Calculate\5.csv				20	19.01.2024 16:44

5. Test case 7: DELETE

FROM	(LEFT) - Own files:
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Calculate\C5.csv				9	19.01.2024 16:44

6. Test case 8: EDIT and SAVE (file size increases, Timestamp is changed)

Name/Ext							Size	Date
    I:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder3\new file1.txt			2	16.02.2024 12:51

TO      (RIGHT) - SharePoint):
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    I:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder3\new file1.txt			2622	16.02.2024 16:47
  7. Test case 9: CREATING a file in own files

FROM	(LEFT) - Own files:
    Name/Ext							Size	Date
    D:\totalcmd\Test\Testfolder1\Testfolder1_a\Testfile7.txt	5924	16.02.2024 16:50