Adding more than one shortcut?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Biff

Adding more than one shortcut?

Post by Biff »

How could one add a second shortcut to e.g. File | New Window?

Is there a way to use a key like CTRL, SHIFT, etc. as a shortcut by pressing them quickly two times (and 3 times for another function)?
Last edited by Biff on Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biff

Re: Adding more than one shortcut?

Post by Biff »

Yes, most people don't. Very sorry for the bad explanation!

How could I get this working:

When I press F10 in that window above nothing happens. When I press it in the result window a new window opens. When I press it outside of Everything nothing happens.

When I press in that window STRG+N nothing happens. When I press in the result window STRG+N a new window appears. When I press it outside of Everything nothing happens.

When I press STRG+SHIFT+> everywhere a new window opens.

"Global" means global for Everything or the entire system?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:56 pm Global" means global for Everything or the entire system?
These shortcuts can be active in the Search bar (Use shortcut in = Search Edit) , the result list including sidebars (Use shortcut in = Result List) or both (Use shortcut in = Global).
Outside the main Everything window they "loose their power".

Biff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:56 pm When I press STRG+SHIFT+> everywhere a new window opens.
The New window Hotkey, Show window Hotkey and Toggle window Hotkey are made available anywhere in Windows.
There can be only one keyboard shortcut for each of them.

Biff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:14 pm How could one add a second shortcut to e.g. File | New Window?
The same way you added F10.
(you can remove STRG+UMSCH+OEM102 from this list as it is already in use for the New window Hotkey)

Biff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:14 pm Is there a way to use a key like CTRL, SHIFT, etc. as a shortcut by pressing them quickly two times (and 3 times for another function)?
No, you will need an external application -- like AutoHotKey -- to intercept these keyboard shortcuts and act appropriately (i.e. open a new Everything window).
Biff

Post by Biff »

These shortcuts can be active in the Search bar (Use shortcut in = Search Edit) , the result list (Use shortcut in = Result List) or both (Use shortcut in = Global).
So they (obviously) do not work in the Options window, although they are "global" in Everything? But they work in the Folder panel, etc., obviously in the entire result list window. "Search-Edit" is the search field or does that mean something else?
Outside the main Everything window they "loose their power".
Sorry, what does that mean?
The New window Hotkey, Show window Hotkey and Toggle window Hotkey are made available anywhere in Windows.
OK, so these are really global. How could I add a second really global shortcut here, one that works EVERYWHERE?
The same way you added F10.
OK, but that works partially in Everything only, not EVERYWHERE?

Very sorry for my extremely bad understanding, very complicated that (for a small brain).
Biff

Post by Biff »

Where (how is it called?) could I find the shortcut (here F9) to switch between the filters Everything and another filter? To add a second shortcut.

Is there a search for the shortcuts (the keys)?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Type
about:keys
in the search bar and press ENTER

Keyboard Shortcuts for a filter are part of the filter configuration.
Pressing the shortcut once will activate that filter; press it again and the default filter ("Everything") will be activated.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Type
about:keys
in the search bar and press ENTER
Many thanks!
Keyboard Shortcuts for a filter are part of the filter configuration.
For each single filter, I assume. How could I assign / change a shortcut for ALL of the filters?
Pressing the shortcut once will activate that filter; press it again and the default filter ("Everything") will be activated.
OK, how could I add a second shortcut?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:53 pm For each single filter, I assume. How could I assign / change a shortcut for ALL of the filters?
I don't know what you mean.
When in the Organize Filters window (Menu > Search > Organize Filters), select a filter and press the Edit button.
Add a keyboard shortcut for this specific filter.
When done, edit the next filter

'CTRL + [' and 'CTRL + ]' cycle through all available filters.
Biff

Post by Biff »

When in the Organize Filters window (Menu > Search > Organize Filters), select a filter and press the Edit button.
Add a keyboard shortcut for this specific filter.
When done, edit the next filter
Yes, OK, I understand. I actually do not want to add a shortcut to a specific filter (for this approach). I want to achieve this: with EVERY filter here I can switch between EVERY filter and Everything (filter) by pressing F9, back and forth. How could I change that shortcut and / or add a second shortcut so I can switch to Everything and each other filterand back?

How could I add a second shortcut to a specific filter?
'CTRL + [' and 'CTRL + ]' cycle through all available filters.
So it does not switch between two filters only but between EVERY filter as long as the first filter is reached again and then it goes on from the beginning. OK, does not seem to be like that here.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:21 pm I want to achieve this: with EVERY filter here I can switch between EVERY filter and Everything (filter) by pressing F9, back and forth. How could I change that shortcut and / or add a second shortcut so I can switch to Everything and each other filterand back?
I still do not understand.
You want pressing F9 multiple times activate the following filters succesively?
Everything => Audio => Ebverything => Compressed => Everything => Document => Executable => Everything => ( etcetera )

Biff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:21 pm So it does not switch between two filters only but between EVERY filter as long as the first filter is reached again and then it goes on from the beginning. OK, does not seem to be like that here.
My wording was off. Instead of "cycle through" it should be "step through" Those shortcuts are for Pervious/Next Filter.
Biff

Post by Biff »

You want pressing F9 multiple times activate the following filters succesively?
No no, I want this:

Any filter <=> everything (back and forth).

Or shown differently: Filter X > Everything > Filter X > Everything > Filter X > Everything > Filter X.

X can be any filter (besides of filter everything).
My wording was off. Instead of "cycle through" it should be "step through" Those shortcuts are for Pervious/Next Filter.
Sorry, do not understand, respectively it still sounds like:
So it does not switch between two filters only but between EVERY filter as long as the first filter is reached again and then it goes on from the beginning. OK, does not seem to be like that here.
Do you mean switching between Previous/Next Filter? Previous > Next Filter > Previous > Next Filter > Previous > Next Filter > Previous > Next Filter > and so on?