.\src\main.c(588); _main_do_command_line_installs(); Fatal error: Failed to copy Everything.exe 32

General discussion related to "Everything".
void
Developer

.\src\main.c(588); _main_do_command_line_installs(); Fatal error: Failed to copy Everything.exe 32

Post by void »

Issue:

When installing Everything the following error is shown:

Cause:

This issue is caused by an Everything.exe process still running.
Typically this is caused by a pending delete on the Everything Service.

Solution:

Restart your PC and reinstall Everything.

If the issue persists, please try Uninstall Everything, restart your PC and re-install Everything:
  • Please make a backup of your Everything settings in the following folder:
    %APPDATA%\Everything
    (this will expand to: C:\Users\<your-username>\AppData\Roaming\Everything)
  • From the Start menu, search for: add remove programs
  • In Apps & Features, select Everything and click Uninstall.
  • Restart your PC and reinstall Everything.
To restore your settings:
  • In Everything, from the File menu, click Exit.
  • Restore your backup to %APPDATA%\Everything
  • Restart Everything
ITSteve

Re: .\src\main.c(588); _main_do_command_line_installs(); Fatal error: Failed to copy Everything.exe 32

Post by ITSteve »

Hello. I have a similar issue on 2 new Dell Latitude Laptops. The error is:
.\src\main.c(1099): _main_do_command_line_installs(); Fatal error: Failed to copy Everything.exe: 3
There is also a "Failed to run user command" box that appears.

Everything has never installed on these machines, the Everything 1.5a folder is not created in Program Files when attempting to install. As far as I can tell the everything service is not running.

The current 1.4 version installs without an issue.

Any ideas? Thanks.
therube

Re: .\src\main.c(588); _main_do_command_line_installs(); Fatal error: Failed to copy Everything.exe 32

Post by therube »

OS & version?
What antivirus is being used?
ITSteve

Post by ITSteve »

Windows 11 23h2.
Everything 1.5a - tried several revisions and all give the same error.
Sophos AV. I uninstalled it from one of the laptops but still had the error.
It runs fine on other company computers. These may be the first laptops with Dell SecureBios if that makes a difference.
therube

Post by therube »

SecureBIOS or SafeBIOS?
(I see the latter, but not the former.
https://www.delltechnologies.com/asset/ ... asheet.pdf)
ITSteve

Post by ITSteve »

SafeBIOS is correct. Sorry.
therube

Post by therube »

SafeBIOS (from the little I looked) seems to do a hash compare of the BIOS, "to the cloud", so not sure why that would impact things?

Does (Windows) Event Viewer contain any clues?
ITSteve

Post by ITSteve »

I don't see anything helpful in event viewer.
I threw SafeBios in the details as that is something different from my other devices. But I agree it shouldn't affect program installs.

It seems strange 1.4 installs fine but 1.5 won't.

Attached is a gif showing the errors.
Attachments
EverythingError.gif
EverythingError.gif (741.73 KiB) Viewed 705 times
therube

Post by therube »

Oh, forgot, aside from the install issue itself, if you were to download the ZIP version, that will unzip & run for you?
ITSteve

Post by ITSteve »

The zip version runs normally.
I tried the x86.exe setup file and that installed normally as well. The computer is 64 bit.
I may just run the x86 version for now on these and follow up in the future if I run into this again.
Attachments
laptop 64x.png
laptop 64x.png (11.29 KiB) Viewed 699 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the gif.

.\src\main.c(1099): _main_do_command_line_installs(); Fatal error: Failed to copy Everything.exe: 3
Error 3 is: Path Not Found

This could be the source or destination.
The source file will be: C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\es<random>.tmp\Everything64.exe
The destination file will be: C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe

My guess is the destination folder is missing as shown from your gif.
Everything does try to create this folder before copying the file.

It's very strange that the -install call succeeds.
This means Everything successfully relaunched as admin to process your -install commands.
I suspect Everything is not really relaunching as admin or it is with some strange permissions.

I wonder if something is blocking Everything from running Everything.exe as admin from the temp folder.

Could you please try the following:

Extract the portable version of Everything64.exe to: C:\EverythingSetup
Run the following command as a standard user:
C:\EverythingSetup\Everything64.exe -setup

Please try following the prompts to install Everything.

Does the same issue occur?

The installer does the same thing, extracts the portable version of Everything to your temp folder and runs:
Everything.exe -setup

If the issue persists, please try the following:

Run the following command as a admin user:
C:\EverythingSetup\Everything64.exe -setup

Does the same issue occur?

With the fatal error message shown, does the temporary Everything folder still exist?
The folder location is shown in the install dialog under: "running install script".
The folder location will look something:
C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\es<random>.tmp\
Is something deleting this folder after extraction?

Finally, if the issue persists, please try the following:

Run the following command as a admin user:
C:\EverythingSetup\Everything64.exe -install "C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a" -debug-log

This will log debug messages to: %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt
It might give a reason why creating the folder C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a fails..
ITSteve

Post by ITSteve »

I tried some of the previous steps before without success so I jumped to the last one. It was unsuccessful and the log disappeared before I could view it. But I noticed in "c:\program files" a file named "everything 1.5a" without an extension. I had seen that and deleted it a time or two before. Something was causing the folder creation to fail and create the placeholder filename instead.
Then I successfully ran
C:\EverythingSetup\Everything64.exe -install "C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a" -debug -verbose

That installed everything normally, so I went back and ran my install script to include my ini and csv setup files and BAM! it is working perfectly.

I found these threads that explain something similar to the folder being corrupted, but can't know exactly without more testing.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/175 ... f-the-time
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answe ... tory-folde

I have spent all the time I have right now to troubleshoot this, but if I run across it again, I will follow up with more detail.

Thanks so much for your help.