Deleted files are not removed from Results

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Kort

Deleted files are not removed from Results

Post by Kort »

First, thank you for offering such an incredibly useful tool! I'm so glad you are actively developing it again.

For some reason, deleted files aren’t being removed from the Results pane (Everything v1.3.2.649b). It doesn’t seem to matter whether the file was deleted from within Everything (from the Results pane) or from Explorer--the file will still be listed in the Results. After a manual Refresh (F5), the Name and Path of the deleted file will still be listed in the Results, but the Size and Date Modified information will be removed (blank) for the deleted file. Only a Force Rebuild will remove the deleted files from the results (index).

I get the same behavior whether using the Everything Service or Everything as an application ran as administer without the service. As I recall, the previous version of Everything (v1.3.2.645b) also had this issue.

Note- newly created files or renamed files are detected by Everything and the changes are automatically reflected in the Results pane (as expected). Also, new folder creations or deletions are also automatically updated in the Results pane (as expected).

I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit.
void
Developer

Re: Deleted files are not removed from Results

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report.

By delete do you mean move to recycle bin or permanently delete?

Do you have have the recycle bin excluded?

I am aware of an issue that might cause this I will post a fix soon.
Kort

Post by Kort »

Hello David. Yes I have my recycle bin excluded--that was apparently the issue. I just I removed it ($Recycle.Bin) from my Exclude list and now Everything's search results no longer show the deleted file.

Regarding your first question, as you now know, I was deleting the file to the recycle bin. I guess if I had deleted the files permanently then the Results pane would have removed the file from the its listing. I didn't think about trying that...

I prefer not seeing the files in my recycle bin in Everything's search results, so I'll have to add the $Recycle.Bin back to my Exclude list. I also have unckecked the "Exclude system files and folders" because I like to be able to search some files in my Windows folder. I also have added certain folders exclusions under my Windows folder for the folders that I don't want to see.

I'll look forward to the fix you mentioned. Thanks for your help.

By the way, I use Everything constantly. It's such a powerful and versatile tool. I'm very glad you have added support for network shares and non-NTFS devices. I plan on making a donation (I should have done so years ago). I hope others are willing to support your efforts as well. Thanks again.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for your support.
nagan

Post by nagan »

I tried excluding a Test folder from Tools>>Option>>Exclude folder, and from Everything results , I cut and pasted the file unto the excluded folder. The file is taken off correctly. Similar is the result when done thru explorer. So traversing of files is well noted of except in this issue (Recycle Bin) it seems...