how to automate robocopy with windows copy and paste ?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
anmac1789

how to automate robocopy with windows copy and paste ?

Post by anmac1789 »

Is there a way to do copy-paste with robocopy ? For example, copying a file from one location to another updates the dc, dm and da but if I wanted to preserve all 3 timestamps, then can how do I use a script with robocopy and copy-paste without always using command line to do copy-paste ?
harryray2

Re: how to automate robocopy with windows copy and paste ?

Post by harryray2 »

I can't help regarding Robocopy, but I use Teracopy, as I like the file verification option, I will have to check, but I don't think Teracopy changes the timestamps when used with Everything.
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

harryray2 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:36 pm I can't help regarding Robocopy, but I use Teracopy, as I like the file verification option, I will have to check, but I don't think Teracopy changes the timestamps when used with Everything.
How do you use teracopy with everything ? I've tried using teracopy but excluding files or folders is a little more work and tiresome it's over complicated than it needs to be lol
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

It varies, but If I want to copy to various folders, I simply highlight the folders in everything, copy the original file or folder, and use paste, either from the context menu, or from the Everything menu bar.

The other thing that I do is use the 'paste to parent folder' from the Everything context menu. for example if I have a file in several different locations, and I want to copy a new file (or folder), to the folder that the files are in, I just highlight all the files, and use the 'paste to parent folder.

It saves me an enormous amount of time and work, and on the whole works flawlessly, and because Teracopy verifies the copy, anty errors show up immediately.
Also Teracopy warns me of file clashes, and presents me with various options.

Take a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=12927

Not sure if that makes sense, as it's getting late and my Brain isn't functioning, but I could do a couple of screenshots tomorrow.
Last edited by void on Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
therube

Post by therube »

What is your existing robocopy command?

You can "get" your wanted source files, directories - from Everything.
But how do you set, in an automated way, your target directory?

Likewise, you can do the same with a GUI; Teracopy, FastCopy or whatever, but still you need to set your target directory.

(Most likely not all copy programs will be able to copy all the dates, in particular da, & dc on a copy?)
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

therube wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:05 pm What is your existing robocopy command?

You can "get" your wanted source files, directories - from Everything.
But how do you set, in an automated way, your target directory?

Likewise, you can do the same with a GUI; Teracopy, FastCopy or whatever, but still you need to set your target directory.

(Most likely not all copy programs will be able to copy all the dates, in particular da, & dc on a copy?)
The command that i use is robocopy “source” “destination” /copy:DAT /A-:SHAR to copy files and for folders instead of using /copy:DAT, substitute it for /dcopy:DAT /E