how to show children whose parent folder has a specified property value

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jimspoon

how to show children whose parent folder has a specified property value

Post by jimspoon »

Say I had a parent folder to which I assigned several custom property values, and I wanted to show the children of those parents. If I could do that, I might not have to assign those custom property values to the children of that parent folder.

For example say I assigned a custom property named "Vendor" with the value "Lowes", and I wanted to see the children of the folders that have that custom property.

I used "child-file-count:=5" just as an example to get a list of folders. But how can I get a list of the children of those folders?

I tried "parent:child-file-count:=5", but that doesn't work. Parent: seems to require specification of the full path of a parent folder, e.g. "parent:c:\windows".

(Not looking for anything like sibling-file-count:, I just as child-file-count as an example folder property.)
jimspoon

Re: how to show children whose parent folder has a specified property value

Post by jimspoon »

I found a way to do it. First find the parent folders with the specified property value, e.g. "child-file-count:=89". Then put those folders in a file list slot, e.g. "filelist1:". Then search for "parentfilelist1:" This will show the children of the folder that has the specified property value.

Are there any other ways to do it?
void
Developer

Post by void »

parentfilelist1: is the recommended way.

You could also export to a file list, then open the file list, but this is just an extra step vs filelist1:
jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

Thanks Void!
jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

Is there anyway to do this with a one-liner, something like "setfilelist1:child-file-count:=20 parentfilelist1:"?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently, no.

Setting a file list slot from a search is on my TODO list.