More tha one exclude list

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
harryray2

More tha one exclude list

Post by harryray2 »

I have my exclude list in options, which I enable every so often. Is it possible to have a separate, different, exclusion list, which I can leave permanently enabled, containing files and folders that I never want included in searches?

Thanks.
therube

Re: More tha one exclude list

Post by therube »

You could do something like change the default 'Everything' search Filter, editing that to include your excludes.

So you could change the Search: from the existing <nul> (meaning everything) to !$Recycle.Bin (to then mean, everything except RecycleBin).
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, the problem is that I use various filters fairly frequently, and I don't want to have to change them all.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Take a look at omitting results

The effect is the same as an exclusion list, but the omiited results can be toggled to be included on-the-fly, without rebuilding the database.

It is even possible to (temporarily) toggle individual entries/rules/filters by unchecking them.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

No good either I'm afraid. I frequently the results omission list..
What I need is something that will permanently exclude a particular directory across all drives. Along the lines of the exclude option in settings.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Below the Add Folder button in the Exclude settings is an Add Filter button.

Create a filter as follows to exclude all folders name "everything" (including files and subfolders)

Code: Select all

**\everything\
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I don't want to add it to the existing exclude option, as I also use the exclude every so often.
I'm looking for a way to basically 'set and forget'.
Using exclude and omissions is no good for me as I toggle these on and off.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

So what else do you have in mind if exclude list, filters and result omissions are off the table?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Possibly a secondary exclusion list?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

harryray2 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:08 am Possibly a secondary exclusion list?
Here we come to exotic functions for a very small amounts of users ;)
PhredE

Post by PhredE »

I'm more on Harry's side than yours, Horst.
I've long thought that multi-stage exclude lists would be a boon. In different circumstances - think of during a Zoom meeting demos - I don't want/need to show photos of my family hounds, but otherwise I would.
Almost invariably I would exclude the recycle bin, as cited above, together with other 'permanents'.
Different stages of excludes would be extremely helpful, mix and vary, as the need arises, I believe.

The only method I know of to do this (although I'll examine a suggestion made above) is to keep text files of exclude lists taken from the main ini and paste them in when I need to swap - but that's not very GUI, is it?

Support + 1.

[PS ..for a very small number of users [..for a very small amount of sand][count vs mass]]
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Phrede..Yes, a secondary list would be useful.
I can't really find a way round this other than to use another instance of Everything, it's far from ideal though.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

MAybe take a fresh look at Omit Results. In my opinion it is perfectly capable to manage this. Uncheck a couple of the "rules" in Menu => Index = Organize Result Omissions and the matching entries will be included in the resultlist. Check those rules again and they will be excluded again. No need to rebuild the database (including content- and property re-indexing).

PhredE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:16 am [PS ..for a very small number of users [..for a very small amount of sand][count vs mass]]
True. Still will be hard to tell how many people really need this because of silent majority vs. loud minority.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

@notnull...Thanks, but I don't have the results omissions list enabled all the time...
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

That is not needed either.When Result Omissions *does* get enabled, it will exclude all entries that match one of the rules.
You can make rules for family photos, the Windows System folder, recycle bin, .. whatever suits your need.

Disable Result Omissions and all those files are in the index again. Instantaneous.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

The problem is..there are various directories I want excluded permanently, irrespective of whether exclude, or omissions is enabled/disabled.
In my existing lists, there are directories that are excluded for specific purposes, which are enabled as the need arises.
As I mentioned, I need a 'set and forget' for some specific directories.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

harryray2 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:41 pm The problem is..there are various directories I want excluded permanently, irrespective of whether exclude, or omissions is enabled/disabled.
In my existing lists, there are directories that are excluded for specific purposes, which are enabled as the need arises.
As I mentioned, I need a 'set and forget' for some specific directories.
And why can't you exclude the entries you never want to see inside the permanent exclude list
and manage the others with the Omissions as suggested ?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

PhredE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:16 am I'm more on Harry's side than yours, Horst.
I've long thought that multi-stage exclude lists would be a boon. In different circumstances - think of during a Zoom meeting demos - I don't want/need to show photos of my family hounds, but otherwise I would.
Almost invariably I would exclude the recycle bin, as cited above, together with other 'permanents'.
Different stages of excludes would be extremely helpful, mix and vary, as the need arises, I believe.

The only method I know of to do this (although I'll examine a suggestion made above) is to keep text files of exclude lists taken from the main ini and paste them in when I need to swap - but that's not very GUI, is it?

Support + 1.

[PS ..for a very small number of users [..for a very small amount of sand][count vs mass]]
Hi PhredE,
I've tried a few different things to permanently exclude, but I've had no luck.
I have had to compromise by including an entry in my Everything filter, but obviously as soon as I use a different filter, this fail to work.
Have you had any other ideas? Unfortunately, your idea of 'swapping' isn't practical for me.