Solved: Selection is lost after file operation

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
TheBestPessimist

Solved: Selection is lost after file operation

Post by TheBestPessimist »

I would like to know how to make Everything remember the selected file in the result list, after i do a file action.

In the video from the link at the bottom, it can be see that every time i press enter and a file opens, the selection is moved back to search, instead of remaining on the file i had open. How to make it not be reset?
In the case where i delete a file, i would like the selection to move to the next result in the result list (which technically means staying at the exact position where it was before).

Example for deletion:

result list
- A
- B
- C <- this file/folder is selected
- D
- E

i delete the file (press delete on my keyboard)

new file list and selection after deletion should be:
- A
- B
- D <- this file/folder is selected
- E

=> the cursor never changed position, and if i were to press `Down` again, the selection would move to file `E`

I have already searched and found this thread, but that doesn't seem to work: https://voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14045.

How can i achieve this? I see a lot of `focus` and `selection` related settings in advanced and i toyed around with a couple, but i could never make this work.
Please see the video and picture in this folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by TheBestPessimist on Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotNull

Re: Selection is lost after file operation

Post by NotNull »

Moved to the Everything 1.5 forum.

Just tested this on a squeaky clean Everything (1366a): here Everything behaves as you would like it to.
So there has to be some setting that makes your Everything behave different.

To find which setting(s):
- Go to menu => Tools => Options => Advanced
- Check Show only modified settings
- Browse through the remaining advanced settings and find related settings. Reset them to default.

Some suspects:
focus_next_after_delete
keep_result_focus_in_view
clear_was_result_focus_in_view_on_file_operation
TheBestPessimist

The changed settings are these ones: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12D8rXm ... sp=sharing

I tried with `clear_was_result_focus_in_view_on_file_operation` both true and false without a difference
TheBestPessimist

I have found the issue:

`General` - `Search` - `Focus search on activate` -- this should be disabled. Interesting that no Advanced setting was highlighted for this.
Anyway, now i need to find out how to `Focus search when window is opened`.

Thanks for the support!