Indexing encrypted and synchronized drive and its backup possible?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Indexing encrypted and synchronized drive and its backup possible?

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Is it possible to eat a cake and have cake in Everything- and with acing on top too?

I.e. to have within the system a drive that will be:
● entirely encrypted or have some part of it encrypted into a single file or files representing main folders
● indexed and automatically updated in Everything despite being encrypted one way or another
● have its content constantly updated [synchronized] due to changes occurring on the main drive

I want in future to adjust my current setup and backup system to make it more robust and easier to maintain by: introducing to it instant mirror-backups of [almost] all of my data and encrypt those backups [and probably also their original sources] - but also to be able to instantly find any items in them by using Everything. I was thinking of buying 3-4 units of the same 8TB M.2 NVME device [or 3-4 different 8TB models] and then: work on drive #1, have RAID 1 backup on drive #2 [and maybe drive #3], have synchronized backup on drive #3 [and / or maybe on #4]

What would I need to use? I myself:
● had RAID 0 setup of 2 HDDs very long time ago [and remember almost nothing of it]
● have zero experience with encrypting data [aside for making password protected archive files]
● only just recently tried out DSynchronize [and I will be trying switching to using something else]
void
Developer

Re: Indexing encrypted and synchronized drive and its backup possible?

Post by void »

I recommend Bitlocker on an NTFS volume with Everything.

For the best experience, please make sure "Automatically remove offline volumes" is unchecked under Tools -> Options -> NTFS.

Everything will keep your encrypted drive up-to-date when unlocked.
Everything will keep a copy of the filenames on your encrypted volume.
This will allow you to search and view filenames when your volume is locked.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Does anyone else have some thoughts about this?
therube

Post by therube »

with acing on top too
Only real icing is allowed.
None of that store bought (crap) in a container!
therube

Post by therube »

My question is why encryption?

If you're looking to hide stuff from prying eyes, that is one thing.
But if you're thinking of encryption in related to ransomeware or similar, is there any benefit in that?

See also, FFS: Detect if 50% of the files have changed and abort sync.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I thinking about encryption in terms: a have a burglary and suddenly all of my private photos, medical and financial records, e-mails and projects are in someone's hands with piece of cake access to them

But then again: how am I suppose to efficiently look through these records myself on a daily basis? I cannot be forced to enter some kind of password or [even worse] come up with a series of passwords for different kinds of records / projects every time I attempt a search. And how would I stored them? As archives or just encrypted folders? I have no need for securing my collected music or YouTube videos, but some data on my drives becomes incriminating due to politics of my country's government