Does "Everything" have an "Undo" button?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Sunnyside

Does "Everything" have an "Undo" button?

Post by Sunnyside »

I'm not seeing an "undo" button. Is there one somewhere where I may have not already looked? If a user accidentally deletes a file, it would be wonderful if he could just hit "UNDO" and the action would be reversed.
NotNull

Re: Does "Everything" have an "Undo" button?

Post by NotNull »

If you are using Everything 1.4, you can start Windows Explorer and execute the Undo from there.

If you are using Everything 1.5, there are multiple options:
- Press 'CTRL + Z' in Everything
- Menu:Edit => Undo
- Undo the action through the Index Journal (accessible through Menu:Index => Index Journal)
- Use the same method as for version 1.4.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

NotNull wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:51 pm If you are using Everything 1.4, you can start Windows Explorer and execute the Undo from there.
Academic point only: From a philosophical point of view anything that any computer program has "done", that program can "undo".
This is strictly not true for a variety of reasons:-
(1) The user has performed some external (to the application) operation after the effect was "done" and before the "undo" was requested. For example dismounting an encrypted data partition or drive.
(2) The application requests the "do" of a third-party application, and that application offers no means, programmable or otherwise, to "undo" that operation. For example, calling MSWord/VBA to load, create, populate a new document and then save that document and exit mSWord.

Specifically in Everything's case it might seem unreasonable to ask Everything to "do" something which affects the content of the file-store, allow the user to make an dissociated change to the file-store, and then expect Everything to cope with that maverick operation by the user.

That said, since mine is an academic point, there is no logical reason that prevents Everything from maintaining a snapshot of the file-store (IBM 1401: "Please mount another scratch tape" ....) and remaining academic, what with SSD and the price of storage heading towards bio-cell storage, we can but wait with eager anticipation :lol: .

Practical point: To prove this point, some fifteen years ago I wrote an Undo function into my Word/VBA GUI forms. The application preserved a log of all GUI form settings and could return to each GUI form content in sequence.

To the best of my knowledge there is no globally available function yet.

Finally: I quite agree with NotNull here; I post this point only to keep minds open; especially my mind!
Cheers, Chris
therube

Post by therube »

start Windows Explorer and execute the Undo from there
Never knew such a thing existed.
Now, W/E gives no clue as to what the actual action will work upon.
Though with a (soft) delete, it looks like it "restores" the last deleted file.
(To me, it would just make more sense to open $Recycle.Bin & restore from there [as opposed to using Windows Explorer itself].)

(For a hard delete, you would need an actual file recovery, undelete, tool.)
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

NotNull wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:51 pm [...]
start Windows Explorer and execute the Undo from there.
[...]
therube wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:29 pm [...]
W/E gives no clue as to what the actual action will work upon.
[...]
Yep

Take a look at this re-request of implementing un-delete option in filemanger FreeCommander, due to this ambiguity issue: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 227#p42352
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

NotNull wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:51 pm [...]
start Windows Explorer and execute the Undo from there.
[...]
therube wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:29 pm [...]
W/E gives no clue as to what the actual action will work upon.
[...]
Take a look at this re-request of mine of implementing un-delete option in filemanger FreeCommander, due to this ambiguity issue in Windows Explorer: https://freecommander.com/forum/viewtop ... 227#p42352

I evoked in it existence of Undo Delete Message feature of Mozilla Thunderbird