can't open PDF files from file list

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
eddie

can't open PDF files from file list

Post by eddie »

Hi,

since a few weeks I am not able to open a pdf file by double clicking i nthe results list. This worked before, associated to the extension is Acrobat.
In the task manager I can see that acrobat is started but not doing anything. I even can't open pdf without using everything. I have to kill acrobat before being able to use it again.
Other extensions work as expected. When using "open with" I am able to open pdf with e.g. sumatra but also not with acrobat.
Double clicking pdf files in other programs opens the pdf in acrobat as expected.

What could be the source of this problem and how could I solve it?
Eddie
void
Developer

Re: can't open PDF files from file list

Post by void »

This issue can occur if you run Everything as administrator.

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
Please restart your PC if you make any changes above as there is like an Acrobat process running as admin. (or kill any Acrobat processes)

Does the issue persist?
eddie

Re: can't open PDF files from file list

Post by eddie »

This solved my problem.

I was running everything as administrator because I was always asked to enter my password to run everytrhing when starting the PC.

Thanks for your fast answer!

BTW, everything is the only reason that I am still not switching to linux - there is nothing available with the same features (I know locate and similar tools).