"Use Last Value" - which window is setting taken from?

General discussion related to "Everything".
jimspoon

"Use Last Value" - which window is setting taken from?

Post by jimspoon »

In Tools > Options > General > Home, there are various settings where one of the options is "Use Last Value". For example, the setting for Columns:.

I assume that these settings in Home are applied to new search windows are opened, and that "Use Last Value" means that the setting from an previously open search window will be employed in the new search window.

But my experiments leave me a bit confused.

Example. Window 1 is open. Remove a column from Window 1. Now open a new search window, Window 2. Window 2 has the column that I just removed from Window 1.

Now, same as above, but I close Window 1 before opening Window 2. Now Window 2 does NOT display the column that I just removed from Window 1.

Am I right in thinking that "Use Last Value" means the setting value is taken from the search window that was last closed?
void
Developer

Re: "Use Last Value" - which window is setting taken from?

Post by void »

The new window will inherit values from the existing window when the Home value is set to: (Use last value)

To disable inheriting values from the existing window Everything and use the values from the last-closed window:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    inherit
  • Select new_inherit.
  • Set the value to: false
  • Click OK.
new_inherit
jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

Thank you Void. If new_inherit is set to True, and I have multiple Everything windows already open, each with different settings, which window does the new window inherit settings from? Maybe the window that was last active when the new window is opened?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Settings are inherited from the window where you click File -> New Window or Press Ctrl + N.

If you are opening a new window from the tray or command line, settings are inherited from the top most visible window.