Not indexing property on one of two external drives

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
andymbody

Not indexing property on one of two external drives

Post by andymbody »

I have 2 8TB NTFS drives. The crc-32 property index for drive R looks to be up to date. However, drive S does not seem to be updating this property index. I've tried a number of things, but see no changes.

Specifically
I just moved 9gb from C drive to each backup drive (R, S) manually. I used Win explorer to copy the 9 gig from C to R. The index for crc-32 is up to date on C and R. I then moved the files from C to S. After this, the moved, files (on S) are not updating the crc-32 index. I am monitoring the files using the following filter !path:$Recycle file: !crc-32:. There are 1336 files that do not have crc-32 hashes. Normally if I monitor this filter, the file number/quality will change as file indexing progresses. But it doesn't look like the indexing process is even being attempted with this drive. The only files that are not indexed are the files I moved today. As far as I know, I have no issues with S drive. This is the first backup activity to drives R and S in about 3 months.

Things I've tried:
1. verified that the NTFS settings for drive S match drive R
2. disconnect/reconnect drive S
3. stopping/restarting Everything app and service
4. computer reboot
5. Pausing/stopping/restarting indexing
6. upgrade from 55 to 62 (latest), by replacing exe within same portable folder (no other changes made to folder or files)
7. Ran a debug log, with the following being interesting (this is S drive)...

Code: Select all

2023-12-14 20:52:31.687: open volume \\?\Volume{9e04e243-985a-4efd-864c-17c2df722c52}
2023-12-14 20:52:31.687: opened 00000000000004f4 0.000416
2023-12-14 20:52:31.687: DeviceIoControl 000900bb 000000000038e220 40 000000000038d200 4096 failed 87
2023-12-14 20:52:31.687: ntfs monitor read error 87 retrying in 30 seconds...
I would rather not have to reindex from scratch because that usually takes about 200 hours (more than a week of constant indexing).

Any thoughts or tips?

Andy
void
Developer

Re: Not indexing property on one of two external drives

Post by void »

To reindex the missing properties:
  • Search for your S: drive and !crc-32:
  • For example:
    s: !crc-32:
  • Select all the files and press Ctrl + F5.
andymbody

Post by andymbody »

void wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:19 am Select all the files and press Ctrl + F5.
This started the indexing... thank you for this! I was not aware of this Ctrl+F5 option and did not see it in the docs (is it documented there?). I did do a search afterwards for hits on Ctrl+F5 and found some entries in the forum. I'm not sure how I would have discovered this shortcut on my own.

However, even after this... I noticed that about 26 files did not index. So I decided to investigate further. Turns out the disk did have some errors. I ran chkdsk with /f switch on S: and it fixed the errors on about 100 files. All the files that had errors were located in one of the sub-directories of the recently moved files. After this operation, I rebooted, then opened ET to inspect drive S:. This drive was no longer showing the real time changes made to disk - activity such as adding/deleting files/folders (done from Win Explorer). It also showed the files that had been deleted by chkdsk, even tho they were not actually in Win Explorer or accessible. Drive R still reported correct activity. So...

I decided to reindex drive S:. Once I did that, ET was then back in sync with Explorer (as far as I can tell so far). But unfortunately this also initialized a brand new index of crc-32 property for the entire S: drive. Which will take a few days of constant indexing. But, it might be best to ensure that S: starts from scratch after the chkdsk changes.

At this point, I suspect that something happened during the recent move of files from C: to S:. Maybe the USB got disconnected during the transfer which corrupted the drive table? Of course this could also be early warnings signs of drive issues/failure.

:?: Did I make the right choice? Or would you have recommended a quicker solution (rather than re-index)?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Ctrl + F5 is a relatively new feature.
I have on my TODO list to add a property manager.

The reindex was likely necessary after the chkdsk fixes.

Please check the SMART data on the drive.
Look for any reallocations.

Please consider sfv sidecar files. (instead of indexing crc32)
andymbody

Post by andymbody »

Ok... thank you sir!