Question regarding Everything AND Q-dir

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
kazzybash

Question regarding Everything AND Q-dir

Post by kazzybash »

hi,

on the forum I looked around for further integration of Everything in programs I already use, like Q-Dir. I did not find an answer to my questions yet.

Is anyone having a proper integration of Everything and Q-Dir up and running? I mean by proper: with the ability to send folders from Everything to open in specific windows in Q-Dir?

I can open a folder from Everything in Q-Dir, but I cannot open a second folder from Everything in Q-Dir in one of it's three other 'remaining' folders (you get what I mean?). I'll be fiddling around with this for some time (Q-Dir works with a start.qdr file that seems to determine it's use in this respect) and may post results if they'd come. But maybe someone already has sorted this out.

Reason I post here is that I do not get response from Q-Dir's dev, which is fine with me since I am already using this great piece of software for free. So what have I got to ask?

I'd also be interested in a further integration of Everything as searchtool in Q-Dir. There may be users around here that have managed to get that fixed.

Thanks in advance, regards, Kazzy
NotNull

Re: Question regarding Everything AND Q-dir

Post by NotNull »

kazzybash wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:41 am Is anyone having a proper integration of Everything and Q-Dir up and running? I mean by proper: with the ability to send folders from Everything to open in specific windows in Q-Dir?
Around Q-Dir version 7.66 the used method to open a specific folder in a specific pane has changed. [1]
After that, I never succeeded in getting a folder opened in a specific pane (dual-pane in my case).
I *was* able to get in contact with the developer on this matter, but his answer was that it should simply work. Which it didn't, like you already discovered too.

I basically have given up on Q-Dir, as there are too many things "wrong". It is still my default file manager, though.

kazzybash wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:41 am I'd also be interested in a further integration of Everything as searchtool in Q-Dir. There may be users around here that have managed to get that fixed.
Take a look at JumpToFolder, for example. It supports Q-Dir too.

[1] 7.65 is OK, 7.83 isn't. And the changelog is virtually non-existent, so it's hard to pinpoint.
kazzybash

Post by kazzybash »

hi notnull,

thanks for your extensive reply. Version 7 is indeed a long time ago, I am using 10.xx now. The software is good enough to keep on using AND has a lot of potential for improvement which would make it a truly great piece of software.

I was thinking to try to find out the way in which Q-Dir starts up, and then to, maybe, write script to make it start the way I want to. I don't know if this makes sense.

I assume Q-dir uses start.qdr as a file in which it saves the settings of the quad at closure. I just tried:

*save start.qdr to another location
*open Q-Dir, change a folder, close
*save start.qdr to the same location as the first one, renaming it
*compare the two versions of start.qdr

This one is: 'Computer':

Q-Dir Version=10.61
ViewMode=0
Folder1=%14%00%1F%50%E0%4F%D0%20%EA%3A%69%10%A2%D8%08%00%2B%30%30%9D%00%00&ViewModeFlags1=1076887557&ViewMode1=4&UNICODE=1

This one is: 'C:\"

Q-Dir Version=10.61
ViewMode=0
Folder1=%14%00%1F%50%E0%4F%D0%20%EA%3A%69%10%A2%D8%08%00%2B%30%30%9D%19%00%2F%43%3A%5C%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00&ViewModeFlags1=1076887557&ViewMode1=4&UNICODE=1

Assuming I am right about the function of start.qdr it should be possible to determine the way in which Q-Dir translates Windows paths to it's own code. But I am no mathematician or programmer.

Could someone determine this way?

Regards, Kazzy
wwcanoer

Post by wwcanoer »

To open 4 folders in 4 panes:
C:\Program Files\Q-Dir\Q-Dir.exe "c:\" "d:\" "e:\" "f:\"

I don't know about changing the directory in a specific pane in a running instance.

More info in the faq :https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Q-DIR&faq=54