Files created by adding new Windows language do not appear until Force Rebuild

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
johnk

Files created by adding new Windows language do not appear until Force Rebuild

Post by johnk »

I see this on Windows 7, 8, and 10:

1.) Set Everything to search for files under c:\windows\system32 that will exist after installing a new language in the next step. For example, if you are going to install Russian, the search could be: c:\windows\system32\ru-ru\*.*
2.) In the Language settings for Windows, choose to install the new language (and its language pack, which might be relevant for the files that get installed), and proceed. (Note: You do not need to set it as your primary language. This should not affect your Windows usability at all, and you can remove the language later.)

Once it is done, notice that the new files appear in Explorer, but not in Everything. You must do a Force Rebuild for them to show up (which, annoyingly, also resets the column sorting - in my case I'm trying to sort by Date Created but I have to keep setting that after each Force Rebuild).

The problem does not occur when I just manually add a file to the directory in question.
void
Developer

Re: Files created by adding new Windows language do not appear until Force Rebuild

Post by void »

These files are most likely hard links.

Everything 1.4 does not track new hard links.

You'll need to force a rebuild to pickup new hard links.

Everything 1.5 will detect new hard links.
johnk

Re: Files created by adding new Windows language do not appear until Force Rebuild

Post by johnk »

You're right, at least the ones I just checked are hard links.

FYI to anyone interested, I finally found a way to check for hardlinks (symlinks are easy with "dir /a"), in PowerShell:
(Get-Item <file path>).LinkType

Awesome to know it will work in 1.5. Thanks for all your work on this wonderful software!