Renamer - keep extension separate from filetitle

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Renamer - keep extension separate from filetitle

Post by meteorquake »

When you do a multi-rename it's great that it offers a helpful pattern, often it does it well.
One thing it does poorly is that it often merges the extension into the filename, so suppose you had -
ABC12.png
ABC34.jpg
Then it may offer you ABC%1g
when of course you would never want to combine the extension in like that, you would want -
ABC%1.%2g

I suspect it would be relatively straightforward to achieve and would help a lot of users.

David
void
Developer

Re: Renamer - keep extension separate from filetitle

Post by void »

It's a limitation with Everything renamer and the %1-%9 substitution.

%1-%9 is lazy. (matches at least as possible)

Currently, Everything cannot generate an old %1-%9 format when the number of dots (.) is different for all filenames.
--the dot (.) may match something other than the start of the file extension.

Matching the extension works best when the extension is the same for all filenames, or the number of dots (.) is same for all filenames.

I have put on my TODO list to always treating the final dot (.) in the old format as the start of the extension.

There's an ignore extension option.
meteorquake

Re: Renamer - keep extension separate from filetitle

Post by meteorquake »

I imagine for full file names as a quick solution it would just be needed to run the filetitle and the extensions separately however ignore extension seems a good idea, that was just staring me in the face!! And it seems to remember the setting, at least within a session, which is ideal :)

David