Opening Everything in New tab?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Phlashman

Opening Everything in New tab?

Post by Phlashman »

Windows Explorer right-click menu item "Search in Everything".
  • How do I open in Everything, if not already open (apart from startup in System tray), with filter set to "Everything", irrespective of filter used of previous session?
  • How to open in New Window/Tab? If I already have Everything open, in Windows Explorer, if I right-click, choose "Search in Everything", the existing window is replaced, not a new window and not a new tab (If I have "open_new_window_in_tab" option set to true?)

Related to previous with the "open_new_window_in_tab" option set to True. If within search results, right-clicking on Path, going down to folder name and in submenu choosing "Search in Everything", or Shift-Right-click on Path and choosing from the folder submenu "Explore in Everything", the current window in both these choices are replaced, not a new window and not a new tab. However I have found that if I keep the shift key down while selecting the "Search in Everything" or "Explore in Everyhing" it does open in new a window, not a tab? Is the open_new_window_in_tab not working here?
void
Developer

Re: Opening Everything in New tab?

Post by void »

Thank you for your post Phlashman,

How do I open in Everything, if not already open (apart from startup in System tray), with filter set to "Everything", irrespective of filter used of previous session?
Set your Tools -> Options -> Home -> Filter to Everything.

How to open in New Window/Tab? If I already have Everything open, in Windows Explorer, if I right-click, choose "Search in Everything", the existing window is replaced, not a new window and not a new tab (If I have "open_new_window_in_tab" option set to true?)
It's not implemented yet.
I'll add this in the next alpha update.

For now, to open in a new tab:
From the Start menu, search for:
regedit
Right click Registry Editor and click Run as administrator.
In the Registry Editor, navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Search Everything 1.5a...\command
Change the (Default) value data to:
"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -path "%1" -new-tab

Consider using:
"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -path "%1" -new-tab -filter "Everything"

-new-tab
-filter

Related to previous with the "open_new_window_in_tab" option set to True. If within search results, right-clicking on Path, going down to folder name and in submenu choosing "Search in Everything", or Shift-Right-click on Path and choosing from the folder submenu "Explore in Everything", the current window in both these choices are replaced, not a new window and not a new tab. However I have found that if I keep the shift key down while selecting the "Search in Everything" or "Explore in Everyhing" it does open in new a window, not a tab? Is the open_new_window_in_tab not working here?
It's not implemented yet.
I'll have Shift-clicking working in the next alpha update. (It was on my TODO list)
Phlashman

Re: Opening Everything in New tab?

Post by Phlashman »

Thanks for that. Setting the Options Home to use the "Everything" filter had the unfortunate effect of when opening Everything anew would bring up the last search that did not use the "Everything" filter, but now does :-(

However you suggestions further down gave me the clue to get what I wanted, the right click in Windows Explorer to open with the "Everything" filter irrespective of the current filter. I changed the command in the Registry key to:

"C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe" -filter "Everything" -path "%1"

This worked a treat :-)