[help] how to take a full screenshot of search results ??

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
asamirid

[help] how to take a full screenshot of search results ??

Post by asamirid »

greetings..

i wanna take a full long screenshot of everything search results, not only the visible part,

what tool can help achieve that ?? ..
therube

Re: [help] how to take a full screenshot of search results ??

Post by therube »

You could try, FastStone Capture (pay).
There are also apt to be free programs out there that can do similar (scrolling window capture).
void
Developer

Post by void »

Some ideas:

Export to CSV and format in Excel.
Alt + 4 to auto size your window to fit all columns.
asamirid

Post by asamirid »

export to csv won't help in my case, as i want screenshots to some photos "with specific tag" in large thumbnails view,

what is really strange, i tried some screenshot tools as therube suggested here, i tried sharex and picpick, both are capable tools, but they fail.

they worked fine and able to take scrollable screenshots in windows file explorer, chrome and opera browsers, and microsoft word, but they couldn't do it in everything !!

in everything i can select the desired windows, the scrollable region, but when activating the action, both fail to scroll the window with any available method and gives me only screenshot of the already appearing area with some error messages.

it looks like it's everything specific flaw ..

any thoughts !!

i also suggest "if possible" to add the option to save results as jpg, png and pdf format
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure Everything is not running as administrator.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

I am looking for this feature too...full scrolling screenshot (horizontal for large information and also vertical) and save as image. +1
asamirid

Post by asamirid »

i was already tried the administrator trick and did the test as standard user, now i did it again when you post this may i forgot something, but no same results.

i can't try the %APPDATA% settings on my main machine, i prefer the full portable one folder app,

but i will test that with a fresh copy of everything in a sandbox, i may have a different result.
void wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:04 am Please make sure Everything is not running as administrator.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
tuska

Post by tuska »

2asamirid
2anmac1789

I can also recommend the "FastStone Capture" tool.
For me, this tool has been worth every cent ($19.95 to get a lifetime licence) since 2008.
(This tool still has the same price as in 2008 and is constantly being upgraded).

You may try the software free for 30 days.
It's definitely worth a try.

In my opinion, the problems described here should then not occur.
This tool offers additional storage formats than those mentioned here.

German: Tool "FastStone Capture" - Shareware (Bildschirmaufnahme-Tool und Bildschirm-Videorecorder) - with pictures
therube

Post by therube »

Old freeware version is here, [url=https:// codecpack.co/download/FastStone-Capture.html]FastStone Capture 5.3[/url].
[I will note, the .exe in that is different from my copy [from 2007]. It is a few hundred bytes larger, & dated a few hours later then what I have. I'll assume there was some sort of silent update put out & that my copy was of the original?]
You can see if that works.
(I'd probably still be using it, except that a long while back the "concept" of a Window changed - in the Mozilla world, such that 5.3's scrolling capture would not capture a [scrolling] Mozilla window. Later versions did, though they are pay.)
This is exactly [except for included readme.txt] the same as codepack's (though again different from mine), https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=775.

---

I didn't quite expect this, & if need be, delete it.
Anyhow, this is FAR less then 100K or 200K (no idea if it would ever capture it all), but it gives you an idea...
Everything - scrolling 100K items, or more - but less.png
Everything - scrolling 100K items, or more - but less.png (297.7 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
anmac1789

Post by anmac1789 »

what about horizontal scrolling in addition to vertical scrolling ?
asamirid

Post by asamirid »

for some unknown reason all the capture tools mentioned before started to work fine, although i didn't restart didn't change anything and didn't quit current everything instance.

after some tests, it's easier to take screenshots in details view than in the large or extra large thumbnails view.

the longer the list the harder to get the right final results in some tools.

very long screenshots with extra large thumbnails need a huge amount of memory to be processed and saved.

the best tool that works well for me is ShareX, it's free and open source, very updated, and it has tons of features.

still creating long screenshot images with extra large thumbnails is somehow problematic process.

i hope someday we have the option to save the results as an image native in everything.
tuska

Post by tuska »

anmac1789 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:37 pm what about horizontal scrolling in addition to vertical scrolling ?
Works in FastStone Capture Version 10.3 - 1.11.2023, e.g. in Details view.

Example
Everything - Details view

Code: Select all

203 items (188 files, 15 folders)

Name | Path | Extension | Size | Total Size | Date Modified | Date Created | Date Accessed | Title | Subject | Tags | Comment | Authors | File List Filename

8 Filled columns
 6 Columns that are not filled
------------------------------
14 Columns in total
==============================
There were problems with the "Capture Scrolling Window" function in FastStone Capture when displaying thumbnails in Everything.
My impression is that in this case, the scrolling in FS Capture is too fast and therefore some images were skipped during import.

It is worth mentioning in this context that "FastStone Capture" has the function "Combine Images into a Single Image File",
which allows several images to be combined either horizontally or vertically -> into a Single Image File.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't want to do without this tool because of its valuable functions.

PS: The picture inserted by user therube above could be taken in FastStone Capture with the
function "Capture Scrolling Window" without any problems and loss-free from the Everything website
and finally saved as a .png file.