Everything Crashes When Scanning External Drive

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
234fffas21

Everything Crashes When Scanning External Drive

Post by 234fffas21 »

Hello, I've used Everything for several years now and never had any issues, it's been a great tool for me.

Recently I ran into an issue when attempting to scan an external drive connected via USB. I used V1.4.1.1024 (as usual), where I added the external drive under "Folders". Upon rescanning, Everything suddenly crashed ("not responding"), which has never happened before. Removing the drive and plugging it in again didn't help, neither did restarting. What's even more surprising to me is that this was not limited to the device I was using at this point. When I connected the drive to another computer and to another laptop, the same issue appeared again. It hence looks like the problem is related to the drive itself. However, I am able to use said drive as I've always did, there are no other issues.

I've spent hours trying to fix it and also followed some forum advice. I've deleted the database file, tried reinstalling, even installed V1.5.0.1359. The latter worked fine one single time right after I had uninstalled the old version and restarted my computer, but at the next boot it crashed again. With V1.5 it's also different because it doesn't immediately crash when scanning the drive, instead it is stuck with "sorting filenames". Not sure how to proceed from here. Is there any known problem related to specific files on a drive?

Any help would be appreciated!
void
Developer

Re: Everything Crashes When Scanning External Drive

Post by void »

Please try a different USB cable or a shorter cable if you can.

Please try letting Everything sit for a few minutes to see if it recovers.

There might be something up with the volume on this drive.

Please check your drive for errors:
  • Please backup anything important on your drive before checking it for errors.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click your drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now...
  • Click Start
  • If prompted to schedule a scan on the next restart, click Yes.

Does the issue persist?
234fffas21

Post by 234fffas21 »

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you recommend that I install V1.4 again instead of V1.5?

It's already a pretty short cable, the one that came with the hard drive, but I will try another one.

Checking the drive for errors did not show any results. When I tested it with V1.5 right now, I rescanned the drive after opening Everything and it was showing "rescanning" for a while before crashing (it did not appear in the task bar icons any more). When opening it again, it got stuck loading. I'll test again with V1.4.
therube

Post by therube »

this was not limited to the device I was using at this point. When I connected the drive to another computer and to another laptop, the same issue appeared again
This crash, on the other computers, was also in relation to Everything?
looks like the problem is related to the drive itself. However, I am able to use said drive as I've always did, there are no other issues
Even though "you are able to use" & "Checking the drive for errors", I would check (compare) the files on the drive against known good copies - elsewhere.

(As in do an actual content or hash compare of files looking for corruption - which may not be apparent to a CHKDSK or with file date/time changes.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is a crash dialog ever shown?

Debug logs from Everything 1.5 might help find the issue.
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Start Debug Logging.
    --wait for the Everything to crash
  • Please send your %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt to support@voidtools.com