Everyting uses much memory

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Katermerlin

Everyting uses much memory

Post by Katermerlin »

I have Win 10(32)Pro.
So the maximum installable Memory is 4GB, usable about 3,5GB...
It happens ofen that the PC becomes very slow, so I started the Taskmanager and found, that Everything uses about 400 to 500MB inthe background.

Is this normal? How can I reduce memory use of Everything?

Thanks in advance for your Help.
therube

Re: Everyting uses much memory

Post by therube »

So you have 4 GB RAM of which 3.5 GB is available for programs to use.
To me, that seems like you have plenty of available free memory.

400 to 500 MB of memory usage is not abnormal.
Depends on any number of factors; number of files, what properties you may have indexed,...
There are ways to lessen memory usage - but Everything is very like not your issue.

More then memory usage (& especially considering that does not look to be an issue on your end), I would look more into CPU usage, & or "unnecessary" programs that may be running (some that you may very well not even use), that you might be able to "neuter". (To me, the whole premise of 10/11 seems to be "unnecessary" programs running, collecting, sending...)

10(32).
(Not that I'm sure) but I would think you could "upgrade" to 10(64) (assuming it's compatible with your hardware & whatnot) [& for "free]?
(At least my original Win7 CD was 32-bit, & at some point I downloaded the 64-bit .iso, used my existing key & installed.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything will use about 100MB per 1 million files.

How many files is Everything indexing? (Shown in the status bar when the search is empty)

Everything is limited to 2GB of RAM when using the x86 version.
Katermerlin

Post by Katermerlin »

...I see...
There are about 6.8 millions entries...
So a memory use of 470MB sounds plausible...
The CPU-usage is almost zero al empty search, also the other processes dont use much CPU... It's seldom above 20% and if yes, very schortly...
It's a 4-Core Chip.

Actually I don't have to much SW running at the same time...
It's actually only Everything, Thunderbird and Firefox besides the System processes
While Firefox uses often more than 700MB (just one or two tabs open) and by now I haven't managed to reduce that to a sensible size...

My system is running quite fast, but now and then it ist very slow and reluctantly reacting, so I look first into the taskmanager and find that Everything has one of the highest memory use, besides Firefox. But after killing FF reaction is not much better...

Other background activities & SW are already set to a minimum.

Nevertheless, what can I do to reduce the entries... cancell a couple of drives? Not so good...
"therube" wrote:
There are ways to lessen memory usage
but not which ones... Or did he mean these below?
you could "upgrade" to 10(64)
I have a second OS Win10(64) (among others) on my PC.
But the current OS is my "Work-System"and has completely outfitted 6GB RAM. And I have several HW which are not working with 64 Bit due to missing drivers.
Upgrading could help Everything, but I loose many HW... So I'll be with Win10(32) as long as possible...
Because a fast switching among the OSes is not possible a.f.a.i.k.

Sometimes it costs also much time to load the database, but usually its very fast. However, scanning of the drives costs much more time. May be that is recducible?
therube

Re: Everything uses much memory

Post by therube »

While Firefox uses often more than 700MB (just one or two tabs open) and by now I haven't managed to reduce that to a sensible size...
Once again, that is not an exorbitant amount of RAM. Actually, it's rather svelte.
but now and then it ist very slow and reluctantly reacting
That's where I'd spend my time.

Now, it is possible that Everything could be using resources (CPU/RAM), like if you were indexing properties (say like file hashes, performing searches that are extremely complex, or anything that is more resource intensive), but if not doing, that "normal" Everything operations should have close to no impact on system performance.

Antivirus, could have a who knows what type of impact on an OS. Whatever it may be, it certainly is not a beneficial impact. Windows (or FF/TB) could be doing housekeeping. Particular websites, throwing ads, tracking you - non-stop, displaying glitzy resource hungry "animated-gifs" & whatnot... Maybe Cortana is updating (for your benefit). Maybe Windows Live (whatever it may be) is uploading your birthday cards "to the cloud"...
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything will use about 200MB per 1million files during indexing.

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user to avoid unwanted reindexing:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

Optimal Settings for Everything 1.4
Adjusting these settings may help to save a few MB.

Excluding files/folders will help the most.
hamid56

Post by hamid56 »

dear David
showing RAM-CPU usage by EV1.5 at status bar is very beneficiary.please consider adding these important features.
if you can also add disk usage or R/W by EV is also very acknowledged.
Katermerlin

Post by Katermerlin »

Many thanx to all...
I think all these hints are very helpful, I'm going to try a couple of these.

Regards
Wolfgang
therube

Post by therube »

showing RAM-CPU usage by EV1.5 at status bar
Why, particularly?

Something like Process Hacker or Process Explorer might be able to give you something similar.

Their "tray" icons can be set to "visible" [at least in Win7] & (PH at least) can show CPU usage (overall, & from there it's a simple mouse-over to get a popup showing the top CPU events). Likewise both have graphic displays of CPU/RAM/I-O - per process, over time.
hamid56

Post by hamid56 »

for me your procedure is familiar but for many novice user this option can help to rapidly determine unnormal working situation of EV.it is more standard procedure that software directly show very common feature such as ram-cpu-data usage real time in status bar.
Katermerlin

Post by Katermerlin »

...I find it's a good idea...
Using ProcessHacker, ProcessExplorer or Taskmanager needs starting a new process, which costs time.
(Pemanent) running of these tools mean an additional load for memory & CPC...
tuska

Post by tuska »

For me, it has been sufficient to press Ctrl+Shift+ESC
and read the CPU value and RAM consumption in the Task Manager (approx. 75 MB RAM).

To avoid having to do this all the time, I have equipped my Windows 11 Pro PC with sufficient RAM
according to my data volume and Everything settings(!).

If such a display in the status bar should ever come, then please only as an option.

Post by horst.epp »

I agree with Tuska.
Never make this as a default.
If someone needs to look continuously on his CPU and RAM usage,
something is wrong with the system.
The hardware or software is not configured / sized for the usage of the system.

Post by NotNull »

hamid56 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:17 am it is more standard procedure that software directly show very common feature such as ram-cpu-data usage real time in status bar.
I doubt if this is correct. For every software that does indeed show usage statistics, there are probably 20 or more that don't. Without checking though, so I might be wrong here.
Katermerlin

Post by Katermerlin »

... I think this part of our discussion belongs more to "Suggestions"...
therube

Re: Everything uses much memory

Post by therube »

(
(Pemanent) running of these tools mean an additional load for memory & CPC...
Negligible, IMO [for PH].
I have it, have had it running, 24/7, for years. Matter of fact, it is the very first icon on my taskbar.

But, everyone has their way of doing things...
)