Everything cannot search those disks that are mapped to local from network path.

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
bad88

Everything cannot search those disks that are mapped to local from network path.

Post by bad88 »

Feedback a bug:
For example, I map a shared LAN path (\\10.90.21.98\share_path\) to a local disk, assuming the disk symbol is: I:\.
Then I right click on the disk I:\ and click "Search with Everything" ; EverThing won't find anything.
void
Developer

Re: Everything cannot search those disks that are mapped to local from network path.

Post by void »

The most common cause for this issue is running Everything as an admin.

You will be unable to see your mapped network drives if run you Everything as an admin.

Please try running Everything as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything .
Please make sure Everything is running as a standard user:
  • Right click your Everything.exe or a shortcut to Everything
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Uncheck Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
Please note your I: should be listed under Computer (not Network)
If you are still unable to browse to your I: drive, please try typing in the drive name manually (eg: I: ) and pressing ENTER.

Please let me know if the issue persists.
bad88

Re: Everything cannot search those disks that are mapped to local from network path.

Post by bad88 »

I have done some configurations and operations according to the steps you suggest, and restart the Everyting twice.
But it still doesn't work the way as we expect it.
void
Developer

Post by void »

What happens?

Could you please confirm Everything is running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • What is shown at the top of the console for IsAdmin? (should be a 0 or 1)
To close the debug console:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
bad88

Post by bad88 »

when I do these operations as below:
In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options. Click the General tab on the left. Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything
Uncheck Run as administrator.Check Everything Service. (make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
Click OK. Then Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
Restart Everything .

In the options : "Everything Options -- Indexes -- NTFS",
Could not find "I:\" (that is a mapped disk symbol from a LAN Path).

Then, In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER: /debug
I see that there is a line displaying "IsAdmin 0" in the poped console window.
Detailed log, see the attachment file "Everything console log1.txt"..
After that, I close the console window, and restart Everything and type "/debug" again in the Everything searching box and press ENTER.
It will pop up a new console window. Detailed log, see the attachment file "Everything console log2.txt".
Last edited by void on Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed logs
void
Developer

Post by void »

IsAdmin 0
Thank you for confirming.

NTFS indexing is for local volumes only.

Use folder indexing to index network drives.

To add your network drive to your Everything index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your I: drive and click OK.
  • Click OK.

Folder Indexing
bad88

Post by bad88 »

Now, in the option "Everything Options -- indexes -- folders", I have added the path "I:\", and check a tick mark on the check box "Attempt to monitor changes".
It seems that it works. When I right click on the disk "I:\" and click "Search with Everything", It can search the files on the mapped disk "I:\".

But,There are three places that people can't understand.
1, It can't really monitor the modification of files on this mapped disk.
2, why Everything can't search mapped disks when it is run as an administrator.
3, Why the option "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" must be checked.

If these three places can be improved. Then it will be very good.
Could I ask a question? Will you improve these three points in the future?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback.
It can't really monitor the modification of files on this mapped disk.
Typically, 'Everything' will detect every change while Everything is running.
When Everything is not running, changes will be missed and you will need to rescan the I: from Tools -> Options -> Folders.
Everything will automatically rescan your I: daily at 3am, or the next time you start Everything.

If you need to detect every file change, consider using the Everything Server (in development)

Everything 1.5 (in development) also has a Network Drive tab under Indexes to make it easier to include network drives.
2, why Everything can't search mapped disks when it is run as an administrator.
The logged-in user and the admin user have a different list of mapped network drives.

Everything can see mapped network drives when running as an admin.
However, it will just be a different list of mapped network drives compared to the logged-in user.

If you really wish to run Everything as an admin, consider also mapping your drives as an admin.
3, Why the option "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" must be checked.
The portable version of Everything will avoid changing the system or writing anything outside the Everything.exe directory.
Installing Everything with the Everything installer is recommended.
"Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" is enabled by default when installing Everything with an Everything installer.

Please let me know what improvements you would like to see and I will consider implementing them.
bad88

Post by bad88 »

Anyway, thank you for your great software work and your patient reply on the internet

The permission right of the user I am logged in to windows now is administrator permission right.( have same permission with Administrator, but have a nother login name)
I map a disk symbol I:\ from a LAN path.
I check the option "Run as administrator" in Everything. But it can't search for "I:\" correctly.
And when I uncheck "Run as administrator", it can search for "I:\" correctly.

I hope that when I check "Run as administrator"., it can also search for "I:\" correctly.

PS:
If I have new ideas in the future, I will also post in this forum. And if it can help to improve this software, that's great.
Graupunkt

Post by Graupunkt »

I know its an outdated thread, but i have a different solution for the same problem. I have some users and processes running in admin context and network shares use a user access token if mapped via logon script. Therefore anything running in admin context has no access to network shares. This is the case for any default windows client installation.

Good thing is you can change this behavior easily, by telling windows to do so. The features is called LinkedConnections. If you enable that on your system, admins or processes running in admin context will have access to network shares, too.

Here is a little powershell command to set this setting for the whole system (hklm):
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" -Name "EnableLinkedConnections" -Type DWord -Value 1

You change here a security setting, so decide yourself if you want to disable it. From my perspective i make no difference between malware running in user or admin context, network shares are handled by multiple layers of permissions. And if the user has permissions to delete or modify stuff, linkedconnections wont make a difference.