Columns' order changes when I switch between filters

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
atiovalo

Columns' order changes when I switch between filters

Post by atiovalo »

Everything version: 1.5.0.1357a

I don't understand exactly the logic behind how the columns' order works but the order of the columns changes when I select a different filter and then return to the previous filter.

It probably happens when I mix up columns I have added through "Tools > Options > Home" and columns I have added in a specific filter. It seems like columns that have been added to filters are assigned a fixed position, and that mixes up the order of the columns when different filters have different numbers of total columns. But again, I haven't really understood how exactly this works.

Here is an example in case you want to reproduce it:

Through "Tools > Options > Home", I have selected the following columns (in that order):
Name
Size
Date Modified
Path
Date Created
Date Accessed

Then I have added to the "Everything" filter the following columns:
Descendant File Count
Length
Extension
Dimensions

Finally, I create a filter "Files", in which I add the columns:
Length
Extension
Dimensions

Now, I re-order the "Everything" filter's columns' order like this:
Name
Size
Descendant File Count
Date Modified
Path
Date Created
Date Accessed
Length
Extension
Dimensions

Then, I select the "Files" filter, and then the "Everything" filter again.
The "Everything" filter's columns have now been re-arranged with the "Date Accessed" column going last.
void
Developer

Re: Columns' order changes when I switch between filters

Post by void »

Thank you for the issue report atiovalo,

This is currently a limitation with columns in Everything.
I have put this on my Things to fix list.

Instead of using the Columns field in the filter, please add columns:<list-of-properties> to your filter search.

For your Everything filter add the following to the search:

columns:name;size;Descendant-File-Count;Date-Modified;Path;Date-Created;Date-Accessed;Length;Extension;Dimensions

For your Files filter add the following to the search:

columns:name;size;Date-Modified;Path;Date-Created;Date-Accessed;Length;Extension;Dimensions
atiovalo

Re: Columns' order changes when I switch between filters

Post by atiovalo »

Thank you void!

I had come up with a solution of my own by putting all columns in through "Tools > Options > Home" so that a permanent order was established and then disabling the unwanted columns for each filter with "remove-columns:".

Still, your solution seems better, because this way you can essentially set up the columns for each filter independently from each other.