Introduce partial rebuild

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
atiovalo

Introduce partial rebuild

Post by atiovalo »

I have included video's length, video's dimensions, and zip folders' contents in the indexed properties. It takes about 40 minutes to index them all. And that's fine. Actually, 5 hours would be fine, too, if I had to do it once. I often find myself reluctant to include more properties, because I think "Every time I need to do a rebuild, I'll have to wait even longer for it to be done". On the other hand, it takes just a few seconds to just scan the files without the extra properties.

There are many reasons that a rebuild has to be made. Either a mistake in the files listed (not often at all, but it happens) or inserting my external drive after Everything is already open.

I wonder if it would be possible to introduce a partial rebuild, where the files are scanned from the beginning, but every file that existed in the previous database would keep its properties index. Full rebuild should remain as an option of course.
therube

Re: Introduce partial rebuild

Post by therube »

There are many reasons that a rebuild has to be made.
Including changes to the structures of Everything itself.
So an update to an alpha version could potentially cause a database re-index.
void
Developer

Re: Introduce partial rebuild

Post by void »

Adding to or removing from your indexed properties will keep your existing properties values.

Modifying existing indexed properties (changing whats included) will force Everything to regather all your properties.

This is done to keep the memory usage to an absolute minimum.

I am considering the option to keep property values at the cost of more RAM usage.

A property server is also in development.